Forums > RWBY

Original Grimm ideas + general Grimm discussion

Posts (76)

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33725317 - 4 months ago

How do you folks feel about bat Grimm?

• The-Batman-Who-Laughs

The-Batman-Who-Laughs

#33725941 - 4 months ago

I think someone had that idea somewhere else on the forums. They were 

the bombers to the Nevermore's jet fighters. The idea was that would either

shoot black globs that spawned Grimm, or drop rocks from above. 

It was a while ago, so I'm not sure.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

AenarTenthSkraeling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33725990 - 4 months ago

In reply to The-Batman-Who-Laughs

Hm. I think bat grimm would work better as being sensor types and having a wide AOE sonic attack.

• competivekid

competivekid

#33726021 - 4 months ago

A hydra Grimm?

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33726062 - 4 months ago

In reply to competivekid

Everyone in its vicinity will be mind controlled and worship it. HAIL HYDRA!

• The-Batman-Who-Laughs

The-Batman-Who-Laughs

#33726142 - 4 months ago

In reply to TheGuyFromTheInternet

Captain America: Hail Hydra.

Batman: I killed my parents.

Spider-Man:  £&@& responsibility.

Ruby: Cookies for life.

• competivekid

competivekid

#33726162 - 4 months ago

In reply to TheGuyFromTheInternet not that hydra, the many headed Greek/Roman Hydra of Lerna that had poisonous breath and blood so virulent that even its scent was deadly.

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33726198 - 4 months ago

In reply to competivekid

I know. Lol. Just messin.

How does this Grimm Hydra differ from the traditional Hydra?

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33726218 - 4 months ago

In reply to competivekid

A hydra Grimm?

That would make for a badass Boss Grimm. 

In reply to TheGuyFromTheInternet

In reply to competivekid I know. Lol. Just messin. How does this Grimm Hydra differ from the traditional Hydra?

It wouldn't really need to. Spawning more heads when they get cut off and spewing uber poison makes for a plenty badass boss grimm. Just give it a weak spot that can kill it or a weakness to Fire that can be exploited.

https://jtthomas92.deviantart.com/art/RWBY-Hidora-554831485

Not sure if I really like that Hydra design or really hate it. :/

• Jwebb1115

Jwebb1115 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33726307 - 4 months ago

what we really need is a Goliath boss fight. Also shark Grimm?

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33726464 - 4 months ago

In reply to Jwebb1115

For a Goliath I want it to have a long-range sonic attack by blowing from its snout. It could be regulated to be a tight sonic lance to strike at distant targets or a wide AOE short ranged effect that can deflect missiles, artillery shells and bombs. It would give a justification besides their durability for why Atlas hasn't just sent some cruisers to laser them to death already.

Also for fights against land based targets like Huntsmen they could have a suction based attack like the Tapir summon from Naruto:

4297466895_9101c5804e.jpg

I really like the detail of it blowing the air and debris out again through its nose so that it can keep sucking indefinitely. And yes that awful double entendre was deliberate but unavoidable. barbara

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33726468 - 4 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling How can one blow and succ at the same time

• Red_Fields

Red_Fields

#33726501 - 4 months ago

What if there was a grimm bacteria? They would convert humans into grimm or at least seriously injure people that are infected?

• TheGuyFromTheInternet

TheGuyFromTheInternet

#33726505 - 4 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

I had always imagined Goliaths having ground base attacks like making the earth shake in one stomp or control the earth under its enemies. A power fitting for Grimm with intelligence for strategy.

In reply to Red_Fields

I'm not sure about bacterial grimm but I think a parasitic grimm would be as deadly and added that it is visible to the naked eye. Real parasites that get pulled out of people already scares the crap of me already.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33726508 - 4 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

They don't. Blowing is one type of attack (that can further be modified into long range precision or short range AOE) while sucking is a different type. Or were you talking about the waste-disposal? Basically think of it like a vacuum cleaner, it sucks in air in one end (the mouth) and blows it out from the other end (the snout). For actual animals it likely wouldn't make sense but the Tapir is a chakra-magic ninja animal while the Goliaths are dark-magic soulless demons that have in other species demonstrated the ability to roll up into a ball and charge forward as a wheel of doom, and to turn feathers into a hail of deadly projectiles.

https://youtu.be/zSQdCjGmNhQ

If you skip to 12:32 you can see the Baku in action, which is what I based the idea on. 

• Jwebb1115

Jwebb1115 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33726987 - 4 months ago

I just got this idea watching a movie. Vacuo has desert regions right? I’m thinking sand worm Grimm. Ever see tremors?

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33727108 - 4 months ago

In reply to Jwebb1115

You mean like this?

https://mirzers.deviantart.com/art/Graboid-Grimm-Family-566530043

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33727286 - 4 months ago

Gorgoneion

OlympiaGorgo_retouched.jpg

The Gorgoneion is one of the more distinctive and unusual types of Grimm, both in appearance and purpose. It is one of the very rare Barrier-type Grimm, Grimm that oxymoronically specialize in defense and protection of their fellow Grimm. The Gorgoneion takes the form of a solid metal shield with a monstrous human face, with hair of snakes and gaping tusks. From the edges of the shield extents feathered wings of a similar metal-like substance as the shield, they appear to be the cause of the Gorgoneion's ability to levitate and fly through the air, and when it attacks it can spin like a discus and cut into enemies with its wings. The snakes and face can also come to life and bite those who get too close, anyone or anything bitten in this way will turn to stone, though they can break free over time if they have a strong Aura and the Gorgoneion or some other Grimm doesn't shatter their stone form first.

Aegis

7c3d3c0fcb504d49a57520537b3e0832--charac

(replace the symbol with a shield and you get a good idea of how the barrier is formed)

The primary ability of the Gorgoneion is as its classification as a Barrier-type Grimm suggests, to create barriers. While floating in the air and spreading its wings it can create a barrier centered on itself that spreads out past the tips of its wings in a rough circle. Anything that passes through the barrier and that isn't protected by Aura is turned to stone. Those with a strong Aura can pass through the barrier unharmed save for the loss of some Aura, but weaker Aura users will either become sluggish after pushing through or have all of their Aura drained partway through and turn to stone. For this reason it is recommended to go around the barrier if at all possible.

Apotropaic Amulet

220px-Gorgoneion_Regnaudin_Amelot_de_Bis

The secondary ability of the Gorgoneion is its ability to protect specific locations by fusing into objects or structures, empowering its ability to create Aegis barriers over that location. Some have argued that this ability means the Gorgoneion should also be classified as a Possession-type Grimm. When multiple Gorgoneion work together they can completely cover even large structures or areas with a single unified barrier. This ability has at times been used in conjunction Geists and Shen to create true haunted houses, mansions, dungeons and castles, which leave no intruders to escape alive. More commonly however this ability is used to create safe zones for Khepris and other Artillery-type Grimm, from which they can fire without worrying being overly concerned about return fire, as incoming shells and missiles are turned to stone and shatter upon their armor. Another common tactic for the Gorgoneion is to fuse itself to the arm of a humanoid Grimm (such as Beowolves, or Arma Gigas) to serve as a shield/buckler directly.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33729436 - 3 months ago

Hm, some random thoughts on other stuff from Greek/Roman Mythology that could be cool to use:

Design_for_a_Stained_Glass_Window_with_T

Terminus, the god of boundary markers. A grimm based on him could be a pretty cool Barrier-type that makes large barriers that covers wide areas, maybe have several statues work in conjunction to create multiple large force-field "walls" that connect together to form a "box". 

otherdeitiesmur042.jpg

Janus/Portunus could be a cool portal using Grimm. It could work in a Portal Gun style where one head spits liquid(for the sea/port theme) that turns into a portal of one color while the other head spits to make portals of another colors that connect to the other head's portals. And maybe have it wield a keyblade made of Grimm-bone?

Unrelated to greek mythology but a Kitsune Grimm (like this one by Flygon Fan 157) would be pretty cool. There are so many ways you could go with a Kitsune Grimm. Aside from shapeshifting to look like humans, well let's just quote wikipedia:
    -

Other supernatural abilities commonly attributed to the kitsune include possession, mouths or tails that generate fire or lightning (known as kitsunebi), willful manifestation in the dreams of others, flight, invisibility, and the creation of illusions so elaborate as to be almost indistinguishable from reality. Some tales speak of kitsune with even greater powers, able to bend time and space, drive people mad, or take fantastic shapes such as a tree of incredible height or a second moon in the sky. Other kitsune have characteristics reminiscent of vampires or succubi and feed on the life or spirit of human beings, generally through sexual contact.

If a Kitsune Grimm had all these abilities it would be OP as fuck so its probably best to just limit it to one or two at most, maybe three. But still, that leaves a lot of different options to choose from.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33733263 - 2 months ago

rhni7dh16zd11.png

So next volume we're going to get  a Manticore Grimm. I don't know about you guys (and gals) but this is getting me hyped.  sunglasses

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33733445 - 2 months ago

Holy shiznit fam

• The-Batman-Who-Laughs

The-Batman-Who-Laughs

#33733491 - 2 months ago

In reply to AenarTenthSkraeling

Will this be like the dragon Grimm, or will it be a generic Grimm type?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33733559 - 2 months ago

Looks like a one-off boss Grimm to me.

• AenarTenthSkraeling

#33733794 - 2 months ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

In reply to The-Batman-Who-Laughs

No way to know for sure at the moment. All we know is that they made that concept art and that their original design happened to look very similar to this fan design which they also liked, so they asked for permission to use it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/RWBY/comments/8eln9g/manticore_grimm_fan_concept_inkyou24/

It could be a one-off boss or it could be more like a Beringel or Griffon, a strong Grimm that that is nevertheless relatively common. Either way works for me as long as the fight scene is good. And from what little I've heard of the Adam short (I've been avoiding spoilers) it likely will be.