Forums > RWBY

RWBY OC Guide — Create / Share / Critique

Posts (39)

• competivekid

competivekid

#33722749 - 5 days ago

This is the 1st character I've created, haven't drawn anything in years so won't be able to have any concept art.

Name: Azul Arsenic

Species: Human

Appearance: 6 ft 2. Light tan skin, black hair, military style haircut, grayish light green eyes, scar on his cheek that goes from his face to earlobe that is cut off. Wears pad armor on arms & legs, with a armored vest that has pockets. Colors include blue, dark grey, and a grayish green.

Weapon of choice: 2 hydraulic rectangular pounders as gauntlets; can extend in the front and back for increased range or power as well as launch themselves with a cable to grab people or objects, or use to climb steep heights, even use as small shields. 2 expandable blades behind the legs. (Like the ones the GECKOS have in MGS4: Guns of the Patriots). Standard pistol for targets at range. When extended the pounders can spin, this is for him to slam in the ground, do a handstand, extend his blades, and perform a wide slash. 

Personality: stoic and cynical at times. When fighting he can be vicious if pushed, and will prolong pain to those that he believes deserve it unless someone stops him, but when calm can be tactical, and brutal. Professional when working with a team if the goal is important, and he gets something in return or he considers someone a friend. Can be sarcastic at times. When he finds something/one he likes, he talks more although can be awkward since he doesn't have much to say. Lived among faunus so he doesn't see the point in racism. He cares about the wellbeing of children and will sometimes play with them. Willing to sacrifice others if necessary, and important. Suffers from PTSD so he may snap at people and can be very distrusting of others.  He can be blunt, and for some comedic relief, is ignorant of certain social cues, and Isolates himself from others unless he needs something urgent, others come to him, or he genuinely enjoys their presence. Enjoys proving people wrong he can sometimes chastise people for not heeding his warnings. Will sometimes drink alcohol when depressed later in his life. Has an intense hate for any tribals/raiders, and hopes to wipe out as many tribes as he can. Believes the world is a harsh, and cruel, and criticizes anyone idealistic, citing that it's those people that tend to be manipulated and are killed early on in their life, but will fight for them because he believes there are still people that stick to their peaceful idealistic beliefs and try to make the world a better place. Because of this he willing to get his hands dirty so others don't have to have their morals muddled. 

Skills: proficient in melee, and unarmed fighting. Decent shot with guns. Great survival skills. Amateur pickpocket. Amateur chemist. Good at stealth. Somewhat knowledgeable of the underworld(gangs). Experienced tracker. 

Semblance: Dead Ash- transforms his body into ash allowing him to slip through holes, cracks, anyplace that is slightly bigger than dust, move from cover to cover, and to hide. When focused he can have specific parts of his body to slip out of restraints, and let projectiles pass through him. It's similar to Ruby's, only with ash, and not petals or for speed. The downside is it lasts 5-10 seconds depending on aura levels so he has to use sparingly. 

History: Azul was born to 2 parents that were in a gang to a large town called Espoir(hope), or to most who live or passed by there Faux Espoir(false hope). Both parents loved the other, but were very competitive and would both try to 1 up each other when attempting to climb the ranks. Azuls parents didn't intend to have a kid and were more focused on beating each other, so he was mostly neglected, and abused when he bothered them.

- At age 3 his parents got into a fight, and one threw a knife at the other, missed and cut Azul which is how he got that scar. Fearing the police, they decided to kill two birds with one stone, and that was to sell the boy(secretly) away to a merchant guild to pay off some debts, and get rid of the boy. The guild was ambushed by tribals/raiders later that day on a dirt highway, and he, under the fear of being left in the woods with Grimm, was 'adopted' into the group. He wasn't the only child, the tribals/raiders have 'taken in' many orphans, and runaways, to be used as child soldiers, cannon fodder, or little assassins. The tribals/raiders were harsh to the children since they weren't born into the tribe, and would see any of the kids deaths as not being strong. Azul, and the other kids were taught how to fight, how to survive out in the wilderness, and find their way back to the tribe(since it's better than finding and training other children) under the fear of being hunted by Grimm or them should they ever think about leaving. This carried on for 7 years, until after a raid where Azul made the choice to sacrifice some of his fellow prisoners, that ended in failure, he was put into a cage as punishment. During that time is when he unlocked his semblance, when, in a moment of great despair, he wanted to fade into ash. He hopes ash, because one time he witnessed a man being burned alive; he screamed in agony as the fire raged, then he died, and was blown into the wind as ash, as Azuls pain from his time in the tribe he hoped soon he would fade into ash. Once out of his cage, Azul tried to get the other kids to come with him, but most didn't want to under fear of being hounded by the tribe. Just before leaving Azul killed one of the tribe trainers that cruelly drilled all his skills, then he along with a handful of others, fled.

-After managing to escape to Atlas Azul ilved on the streets as a pickpocket, and robber for the next 3 years mostly stealing from any lone wandering adults, having grown distrustful of them. During that time he would loiter near an orphanage sometimes to play with the kids, though not long since the grown ups saw him as a bad influence and threaten to call police. Azuls only thing close to friends were fellow street urchins, although not for very long as they would end up either arrested, vacating Atlas, go missing, or be killed, sometimes by his hand. 

- It wasn't until, after receiving a tip about a mansion full of valuables that should be empty with only light security. The home wasn't empty, and the owner, an Atlas military officer, who he tried, and failed, to rob from was named Rouge Zinnia. Zinnia was not a very powerful warrior compared to others nor that high in the ranks but she was still a good fighter. Their fight was short but fierce, Zinnia was surprised the young duct rat was well trained in combat. She knew potential when she saw it, so with her influence, and the threat of prison, she took him on as an apprentice. Azul, seeing not many good options, accepted, and saw this as a way towards redemption for passed crimes. She trained for the next 3 years until he was entered into Atlas academy. 

- Azul spent nearly 2 years in the academy. During the first year he was having a tough time to adjust with a place that taught young people to fight, similar to his time with the tribe. However, after seeing it wasn't like that he relaxed a little, although getting him to open up to his teammates had little improvement despite cooperating with his team in the field, and he would suffer from nightmares of his past deeds. Second year slightly better for Azul, he talked a little more of his past albeit very vague, and the occasional angry outbursts.

- One mission during his second year brought him back to his home town, and it didn't sit right in his stomach. Unfortunately, Azul separated from his team in order to confront his parents alone, since he want some sort of closure, whether good or bad. When he found them they were both still members of the criminal organization from years ago, and when meeting face to face they barely recognized him. Out of anger he threatened to take report them to the authorities. Panicked they both attack him, Azul knocks his mother back, then takes his fathers pistol from him, and fires the entire magazine into both of them. Azul was shocked not that he killed his parents, because a small part of wanted to, but that he enjoyed it with a smile. 

- Right after killing his parents, he saw a girl about 3 years younger than him, and realized, by her appearance, that she's his sister, and he killed her parents right in front of her with a happy looking grin. Shocked at the revelation as well as the guilt of putting someone through a traumatic event, he ran, still holding his fathers pistol, and went into hiding, not even speaking to his team.

- Several months later in desperate need of of income after wandering from place to place, he joined a small mercenary group where he was given the code name 'ash', and given a helmet with a Grimm face painted on it. The group is then hired by salems group to try and steal the artifact from Ozpins group in Haven.

Likes: comics, children, letting bad people suffer, cooked animals, 

Dislikes/hates: bullying, tribals/raiders, his parents, innocents murdered, heights, 

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33722879 - 3 days ago

In reply to competivekid

I thought slavery was outlawed in Remnant. Douchebag parents, amirite?

Also seems like his guildmaster was Solidus. But pray tell, why would a merchant guild require child soldiers? If they can engage in trading and earn enough money to buy a kid, can't they hire out regular guards? Would save a lot of legal trouble. Also, why didn't that Atlesian officer just lock him up in a stockade? He saw potential in a guttersnipe? Potential for what? Murder? Perhaps the officer was a member of the Patriots?

There's nothing wrong with drawing from a backdrop you admire, but at least try to make it mesh better with the world of RWBY.

• competivekid

competivekid

#33722892 - 3 days ago

In reply to A-Tank ok the the guy wasn't sold into slavery, more like given away with a price, lied by his parents that he's going away for a while. Tribals, I assume, don't follow laws, and any law enforcement have more pressing matters to deal with. The guy was able to break into the officers home, and steal valuable items before being caught, and subdued by the officer after putting up a fight.

• A-Tank

A-Tank

#33722894 - 3 days ago

Ah, well the bio stated they lived in a large town. So I assumed they were suburban hunter folk. Anyway, that explains it a bit better.

• c4blec

c4blec Way of the 3rd Dimension

#33722998 - 2 days ago

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

ah shoot. my bad, pasted to the wrong thread

• c4blec

#33722999 - 2 days ago

In reply to A-Tank

I understand the feeling. Because of the formatting of sentences, it's sort of hard to read through the wall of text, so you can end up accidentally skipping a line, or reread the same line.

In reply to competivekid

If you can, try to separate the sentences in your characters history by life stages. So for example:

This character was born in XYZ. Their childhood was like XYZ. They were treated like XYZ.
    [EMPTY SPACE HERE]
    In their adolescence, they did XYZ. XYZ happened to them, and that changed something. Because of that they did XYZ.
    [EMPTY SPACE HERE]
    Then they joined Academy and did XYZ stuff. Then during XYZ, another XYZ thing happened which affected them in XYZ fashion. So they did XYZ to deal with the last XYZ.
    [EMPTY SPACE HERE]
    Now they are doing XYZ.

That will make your character easier for other people to read.

• Jacinta-Capelety

Jacinta-Capelety

#33723043 - 2 days ago

It probably went unnoticed since it was the very last post on the previous page, but I posted the bio for Azurite Colpa if anyone wants to take a look and give it a critique. Figured I'd mention it just in case being the last post of a page caused it to get overlooked.

• wrwindeler

wrwindeler

#33723080 - 2 days ago

Quick question. I’m trying to make a faunus oc that has domething like demon horns but there aren’t any faunus like that. The closest thing I could think of would be a bull but I would really appreciate some suggestions or if it makes sense to use a oc with demon horns

• Rakolai

Rakolai FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Huntsman

#33723082 - 2 days ago

In reply to wrwindeler

There are plenty of animals with horns that resemble those used by demons. Here's a list of some examples.

• wrwindeler

wrwindeler

#33723089 - 2 days ago

In reply to Rakolai

Thanks. I think I found one that works 

• jVictor

jVictor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33723093 - 2 days ago

In reply to Rakolai

I feel like the fact that all demon horns are based on the horns of animals was lost on them. What a cruel irony.

• c4blec

#33723124 - 1 day ago

In reply to jVictor

i think it's all part of the learning experience.

how the horns of devils are inspired by the horns of real animals, similar to how code and math are the backbone of 3d art software.

• jVictor

jVictor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33723135 - 1 day ago

In reply to c4blec

I think it has to do with the fact that most artistic depictions of demons (particularly the named ones) tended to have animal heads. This is because a lot of named demons were based on pagan deities, many of whom also had animal heads, and a great deal of those animals happened to have horns (goats, bulls, etc).

• competivekid

competivekid

#33723160 - 1 day ago

In reply to c4blec ok I have updated my character, thoughts?