Forums > RWBY

Is RWBY slowly getting worse?.. (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Posts (12)

• finyte

finyte FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Shut Up Donnie!

#33726043 - 4 months ago

Hellooo people of the internet, my name Jeff and I want to- ok yeah I can't do that stuff. Hey everyone I'm Finyte and I wanted to make this thread to talk about RWBY and the direction it's going, this is NOT a hate thread I don't hate the show in fact it's quite the opposite for me, I love the show, and I'm a bit worried about it's future; mostly because of certain characters that have/had little to no development over the past five years *cough* Like Cinder *cough* and different plot points that have been so vague that I don't even consider them to be part of the plot like Faunus discrimination, we don't see evidence of that in the show besides just hearing about it every once in a while. I want to chat with y'all about the show and where you think it's heading, I'm open to discuss anything! (Even the insane ships..) 

• Koratics

Koratics

#33726068 - 4 months ago

There's definitely room for improvement in some areas, like how a bunch of scenes feel like they're missing a certain rhythm (Belladonna Fight House was pretty great, though). Lionheart's death, too- c'mon, it's volume 5. I think we've been traumatized enough to see another on screen death.

• finyte

finyte FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Shut Up Donnie!

#33726358 - 4 months ago

In reply to Koratics

I know what you mean, I think a good handful of characters like Ruby, Blake, Cinder (if she's still alive), Adam, and Raven need to be written a bit better. Cinder is the typical power hungry villain; while there's nothing inherently wrong with that it's just there's no personality to her or backstory, she sounds very mono-toned and there's little to no emotion in her. Hell the most emotion we saw from her was in V4 when she couldn't talk; we saw her facial expressions which said it all y'know? Leo was an ok character, but he was just.. confusing.. I understand why he worked with Salem and all that but he just seemed so unimportant even though he was teased at the end of V4 with Watts so we thought he was going to be a big role in the future but.. nope.. he's dead now, he's also a Faunus which is cool BUT Mistral is supposed to be a kingdom where a lot of racism resides, the people there don't like the Faunus and don't want them there yet Leo is a headmaster?.. Unless we get more info on that and it's explained more then I'll understand but overall that seems kinda stupid. Leo just seemed like such a wasted character, he was a filler character as I say; he was just there to be there.

• HunterBlaine

HunterBlaine FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33726367 - 4 months ago

In reply to finyte

I think its fair to say that theres definitely been a dip quality wise, yes. And i think cheif among them is the character writing, particularly Ruby for me. My god, the amount of ranting I could do about that girl is almost ridiculous. Here we are closing in on season 6 and I STILL don’t give a damn about her.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33726438 - 4 months ago

In reply to finyte

In reply to HunterBlaine

At this point, we don't need to know anything more about Cinder, and there's no narrative weight behind trying to make her sympathetic.  You know, because she orchestrated a school shooting, and the remorseless murder, etc. etc.  What it actually is, is that RWBY has been getting worse, but from earlier than season 5.  Here you go, a small sample of why RWBY's biggest moment actually has no narrative weight behind it.

Plot And Foundation: a DBZ/RWBY Comparison.  I wrote this to compare the writing structure that these two shows use for what is effectively the same event sequence, and where DBZ showed a solid foundation, where RWBY did nothing of the sort.  Further knowledge on my part has updated things, as you'll see in the comments sections, but only reinforced the idea.

• InsaneAlphaBeta

InsaneAlphaBeta

#33726444 - 4 months ago

i think there are deffinately areas in which this show can and should improve.

Ive said a few times that Adam has been terrible in this volume compared to his other appearnces, where once we all viewed him as a serious threat (espacially after the yang incident) now hes nothing more then a pathetic excuse of a villain, a joke. Hes lost any if not all credibility he once had as a seriously dangerous antagonist.

Cinder though i feel might get alot more development, yes i think she is alive, and i think her character is gonna change after what happened.

RWBY like many other shows is in alot of ways an art form, they are telling a story and there will always be those who love it, those who hate it, and those who are indifferent. It has its issues, but it also has its strengths.

Some volumes will be better then others, thats a given, the quality will never be on a constant rise, thats just not how stuff like this is, everyones got their favorite season, their favorite episodes, what they like and dont like.

But personally, i feel it is getting better, i feel with each mistake they make they can learn and make it better.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33726462 - 4 months ago

In reply to InsaneAlphaBeta

How is Cinder going to be developed more?  Is she going to become even more power-hungry?  I mean, the time to show us ANYTHING that could be sympathy or humanizing was BEFORE she shot up a school.  The only reason anyone even thinks (very erroneously) that she has some sympathy is because she's based on Cinderella.  The time to show her as human came and went, doing it now not only carries no narrative weight, but because of recent events, is obscenely subjectively offensive.  I'm sorry, but as coldly logical an approach as I take to this show, I HAVE to find fault in humanizing a school shooter.

Call it an art form all you want, a story is art with a very specific purpose.  That DOES mean, contrary to popular (and wrong) belief, that it MUST meet some minimum standard to fulfill that purpose.  The last two seasons have barely risen above that minimum.  Splitting the party was the wrong move, both accounting for the run-time the show has, as well as the skill of the writers.  Destroying the core narrative in season 3 was the wrong move (three years is NEVER "the prologue").  They have ALWAYS had problems with "Show, Don't Tell", and have wholly relied on off-screen inter-character interactions to justify some of the shit they've pulled (see my first post for the link to why it don't fly in the bigger moments).  it has become very clear that what we are now seeing are the results of mistake made AT INITIAL DEVELOPMENT, and they are only now being taken to task for it.  Of course, there were some of us who saw all this coming from season 3, but we were ignored because "how DARE we criticize Monty", and "How DARE we have any problem with Pyrrha's death, you missed the significance of it" and so on and so on.

What is now VERY apparent is that Rooster Teeth has NEVER had the resources to effectively tell this story.  I DO see its potential, but Monty Oum trusted the wrong people to help him.

• InsaneAlphaBeta

InsaneAlphaBeta

#33726466 - 4 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

My main reasoning for Cinder surviveing (and getting development in the future) is because this entire time she has been arrogant, she had a massive ego and acted like she could do anything she wanted, and in the end it costed her dearly. If she is smart, she will spend her days, while knowing she will never be forgiven, and can never truly redeem herself, she can try and do the best she can with the situation shes now in. Possibly broken, definately defeated. And having had her life flash before her eyes.

The golden rule in any show is if you don't see a dead body, then they are not dead. It is almost always true, in shows, movies, and even games. So i don't think shes dead, and i think thats the direction they are headed with that.

I did read what you said in that Link. And you do make many great points, but i do think there is a point you made you might want to consider.

You said they don't have the resources to pull it off. Or perhaps the skill. And you might be right. They aren't on the level of the writers for Dragon Ball, the team there have far more experience then RT does, so of course they are gonna make mistakes, things they wont consider or think about. The truth is people do make mistakes, and when it involves a series you gotta live with those mistakes and do what you can going forward.

They will never get to a point where each season is better then the last, you can't expect that from anyone, we humans are faulty and will always make mistakes. The least we can do is give our feedback, and hope they learn from it in time.

Did Monty truely make a mistake in trusting them? i personally don't think so. I'm typically a positive person and look on the bright side of things. And sure, they have made quite a few mistakes, but we never learned anything from getting things right all the time.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33726479 - 4 months ago

That argument is largely bullshit, as this set of writers was heavily involved in RvB all this time.  Telling me they've learned nothing in all that time?  Yeah, tell me another one.  We should, at some point, recognize when they AREN'T going to get it, and stop patting them on the back and telling them, "It's OK, you'll get it next time".  Sometimes people DON'T "get it next time".  Sometimes people need others to recognize when they've screwed up, because THEY cannot see it for themselves.  That's what I think went on with RWBY: they screwed up, but they themselves couldn't see it, and the audience is too loyal/stupid to notice, or excuse everything.  Notice that only NOW are they admitting that mistakes were made?

• InsaneAlphaBeta

InsaneAlphaBeta

#33726485 - 4 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

I think you might have missunderstood my point, but in truth its probably my fault, so allow me to better explain myself.

I'm not saying we should just pat them on the back or anything of the sort, like i said the best we can do, or the least rather is give our feedback and hope they listen. And yes, that does include telling them when they screw up.

You have to keep in mind the show has been growing ever since Volume 3. RWBY has now been in 3 games total, Grimm Eclipse and Amitty Arena both Strictly RWBY games, then you have Blaz Blue Cross Tag Battle, which RWBY was featured in. So yeah, it doesn't shock me that they didn't see it for as long as they did.

I'm not saying we should just accept that they will screw up and move on. I'm saying that yes, they will make mistakes, you shouldn't expect them to get it right, instead you should anticipate them making these mistakes, and saying what you can, where you can, to help them, afteral this show being the best it can be is what we all want. And everyone has their own ideas for how to make the show better.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33726492 - 4 months ago

Actually, with how long they've been in this game, I kinda SHOULD expect them to have built on that experience, and delivered that quality product from word one.  I'm not expecting perfection, I'm expecting quality.  At some point, it falls on US, the audience, the final line of quality control, to stand up and say something.  Unfortunately (and this IS an issue with all fandoms, not just this one), they are no longer smart enough to see it, and when those who are DO point these things out, they are attacked by the blind loyalists, of which the RWBY fandom is INFESTED with.  That's on us, and we didn't do our part.

• InsaneAlphaBeta

InsaneAlphaBeta

#33726503 - 4 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

Fair enough, though i wouldnt be surprised if a decent portion of the fanbase just plain didnt notice these issues and just enjoys the show as is, heck if im being honest i didn't even think of Pyrrha's death like that until i read what you said and it was brought to my attention.