Forums > RWBY

Dragon Prince GD

Posts (97)

• JROY

JROY FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gaurdian Lvl.2

#33738742 - 2 months ago

What is this?! A THREAD NOT ABOUT RWBY!?!?! 

AlienatedBoilingBlackbird-small.gif

Ok ok, I know yes this is the RWBY forums but the RT forums have never really been strict or anything so I thought this is fine.

Anyways I'm making this thread cause the new show on Netflix called The Dragon Prince has become kinda popular with many in the RT forums RWBY community. So I thought I'd make this forum so people could talk about this show. So as Rayla would say...

Greetings fella humans, human Fella's! Lets talk about some Dragon Prince.

• acw28

acw28

#33738751 - 2 months ago

So the theory I posted back on the RWBY thread, not using spoiler tags since I'm assuming anyone who searched out for this thread has already watched the show:

So King Harrow dies in the attack, right? But what if that wasn't the case. We never actually see him dying, much less how the conversation between him and Viren played out after he said Viren should be on his knees. So I'm sure a lot of people are assuming Viren killed Harrow before the attack, but I think many are forgetting about the two headed snake Viren brought with him and left behind when he confronted Callum. Remember what Viren's original plan for Harrow to survive the assassination was, to swap his soul into another body so that the Elves would believe their mission succeeded. But that brings up the question of who Viren switched Harrow with, well who ever said the soul exchange needed to be between two humans? Viren put Harrow's soul into his bird, Pip. What really made me have this erukea moment was when Viren asked if the bird had a song to sing, and the animal looked away. Now I recognize that this is fictional and the animals tend to be smarter (see bait), but that was a very human gesture, plus why keep the bird caged when it was shown to have it's own stand before? Now this revenge works on a multitude of levels. Not only does it force Harrow to watch as Viren takes his throne, but think about what Harrow called Viren, a servant, so now Viren turned Harrow into something lower than that, an animal.

Now to address the "bonded ribbon", all I can really say is that we don't exactly know how elf magic works, it could be keyed to either the death of the body or death of the soul. Now I'm going to assume it's death of the body because it seems like the humans have dealt with the elves before, specifically calling them out as Moonshadow Elves. While Viren is a vain man, there is no denying his intelligence and I highly doubt he would propose a plan that he knew would end in failure.

• JROY

JROY FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gaurdian Lvl.2

#33738754 - 2 months ago

In reply to acw28

For me its just not what happened to Harrow but Viren as well, from the moment he came out and confronted Callum it was like he was suddenly different. I get the feeling he got corrupted somehow by that snake or some shit.

• acw28

acw28

#33738757 - 2 months ago

In reply to JROY

Remember how Harrow described dark magic? You might not pay the blood price immediately but eventually you will. Maybe the blood price finally caught up with him, or maybe that his true self and he got tired of hiding his intentions. We already know that Viren was sacrificing a butterfly a day to keep his "normal" appearance, so who is to say how long he's been corrupted. Then there is the fact that Amaya obviously doesn't trust Viren and correctly sees how he's scheming to take the throne. Harrow admits that he's allowed Viren to be too close and have too much leeway, with her distance away from everyone perhaps Amaya saw something no one else did.

• JROY

#33738760 - 2 months ago

In reply to acw28

Id agree except for the discusion he had with Claudia, that was real, and the credits show how much he cared about his kids growing up to be someone who just suddenly acts cold and just uses them.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33738762 - 2 months ago

I hope they do give some sort of explanation for his shift, because right now it feels really weird that he shifted from someone with good intentions for the kingdom to generic villain in it for the power. 

Anyhow, I'm assuming that the binding magic is triggered on body death and that his soul is in the bird.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33738770 - 2 months ago

In episode 6, where Viren killed that magical butterfly, I think I know why. He's using them to sustain his own life force.

• JROY

#33738782 - 2 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool 

Yeah thats what I'm thinking too.

• acw28

acw28

#33738784 - 2 months ago

In reply to JROY

Yet he told Claudia to bring back the Dragon Egg (hey, is there a loophole now that it hatched?) at any cost, even the death of her own brother. I took a quick glance at the TV Tropes page and it basically said that Viren has transitioned away from "doing something bad for the good of the people" to "doing something bad for the good of himself."

In reply to Dinobot01

I think he was using them to fuel dark magic that changes his appearance to normal.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33738789 - 2 months ago

In reply to acw28

Yeah, he's made that transition but the issue is that there wasn't an actual transition shown fueled by character development, he just switched characters between scenes.

• JROY

#33738790 - 2 months ago

On a side note Lindsay has watched Dragon Prince. she likes it and her favourite character is Amaya.

• acw28

acw28

#33738792 - 2 months ago

In reply to JROY

Probably the best fighter in the series, but I think my favorite weapons are Rayla's knives.

Also I saw it somewhere else, but someone mentioned how they want the "this isn't my biggest sword" guy to be the next "My Cabbages!" and just keep showing up with bigger and bigger blades that keep being destroyed.

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33738815 - 2 months ago

In reply to JROY Can i assume people here have seen the whole season? Ima use a spoiler blocker. In episode 9, Viren kills(Captures? Corrupts? steals his magic life essence?) and has his skin turned gray and his eyes go purple for a bit, and then black. I think by the endof the show he wil be a Lich(I hope) Or turn into a essence vampire or something. Maybe hes charging his magical AA battery by stealing souls/life? I want him to be a lich though. 

On the other hand, I cant wait to see how the situation in the castle will play out. If all goes as planned, all the princes will be dead, making Viren king, while mute sheild person(Im so sorry) will be at the border and not able to do anything, giving him the throne, and deposing any pesky heirs. However, through the use of Metagaming, I have concluded that the princes and company will luckily survive, show up just as he is about to be coronated, and send the entire castle in to civil war. What im looking forward to is if they go in all sneaky beaky like, slowly taking out as many gaurds as possible then attakcing, or if they will ride into the main courtyard riding a dragon. Or they could have seen my pesky metagaming coming, and have the princes survive, but have Viren coronated and they go into a guerrila civil war or something.

Either way, cant wait for season 2!!!

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33738816 - 2 months ago

In reply to acw28 That would be pretty funny, as long as it isint overused to just being boring.

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33738817 - 2 months ago

Also can we get a #dragon prince fanart thread? 

• acw28

acw28

#33738820 - 2 months ago

In reply to Whiterosepetal

Really for season 2 I'm curious how the story of Soren and Claudia will play out. Soren's been ordered to kill the princes, something Claudia doesn't know about but also something he's shown great apprehension to do, so it's a matter of whether he wants to appease his father or keep to his morality. Meanwhile Claudia truly believes that it's a rescue mission, with the added twist of getting the dragon egg back. Now that the egg is essentially gone, does that mission change to taking the Zym back or does she just dust her hands off and say "oh well, I tried." In either case it's also unlikely she'll listen to Callum or Ezra about their mission, one she already tried to attack Rayla back at the castle when the initial attack was going on, and two if she couldn't get the dragon egg back then she'll probably not want to fail the other mission and look even worse in front of her father. 

So I guess the main question from all of that is who is going to be the "Zuko" of this story and turn against their family to join and help the group of heros?

• JROY

#33738821 - 2 months ago

In reply to Whiterosepetal

Eh just share them here. 

• Blue-Rose-89

Blue-Rose-89

#33738827 - 2 months ago

In reply to acw28

Maybe both but at different points instead of both at the same time.

I've seen people speculate that Claudia is more likely to side with Viren because she's a Dark Mage or that there's going to be a big misunderstanding that makes her believe that boys did something terrible to her like hurt or kill Soren.

I'm hoping not because I think it would pretty interesting to show through Claudia or any other future character that despite its methods, Dark Magic is not inherently evil nor is its wielder. Perhaps it can be used for good if the Dark Mage has self-control and understands the prices they are paying to cast a spell.

I'm not sure what's going on with Viren (could the mirror be plaguing his mind? The mirror is being compared to the Mirror of Eraset from Harry Potter) but it seems like he's become reliant on Dark Magic because of how much power you can get by taking shortcuts, ignoring the limitations and prices one has to pay. This is why Dark Magic is seen as evil. If Claudia uses it then then the question for her is "Am I willing to become an abomination like dad if it means I that can be loved by him?" 

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33738831 - 2 months ago

In reply to Blue-Rose-89

I mean, Dark Magic may not be inherently evil, but compared to the other Primal Magics, it's a lot more morally bad by default since it requires the use of living and once-living things and their innate magic as a reagent, unlike the others which make use of the natural sources without hurting those around them, as far as we're aware. It's definitely for that reason though that it is considered universally evil or at least heavily frowned upon on the continent however. I'd say that shortcut wasn't really the issue, and it was mainly the cost associated with it. 

I would actually prefer if Dark Magic actually had no drawbacks associated with its use (such as the proposed corruption), or at the very least drawbacks and consequences on par with those suffered by mages of the other Primal Magics (assuming there are any). This would do a better job of presenting the moral ambiguity regarding the use of Dark Magic, as it could then be more strongly shown to be, at its core just another Primal Magic, ultimately no different than the others in its usage, simply a different source. However, based on the the tropes of the genre, I suspect it will have some sort of significant drawback, in addition to the evil eye glow displayed.

• acw28

acw28

#33738839 - 2 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool

I mean, just based off what we've seen of magic so far, it seems like the Primal Magics pretty much just bend the elements to do the spell (the giant gust of air, keeping metal hot, using the moonlight to create an illusion of a leg), meanwhile it seems that Dark Magic requires the death of something so you can use it's lifeforce to power the spell.

• spoolofwhool

spoolofwhool

#33738842 - 2 months ago

In reply to acw28

Yeah, but maybe you can use the corpses of already or recently dead things for some spells as well. Either way, this doesn't matter for my second paragraph since it was just focused on the "source and use of Dark Magic of a Primal Magic." In that regard, I would prefer that there are no drawbacks like weird corrupting things, and just be "drawing on power from some source," be that source be possibly limited living innate magic or unlimited from nature (assuming the other Primal Magics are unlimited sources, maybe the storm in the ball would've run out eventually which would make sense.) Even if it is a slight anomaly in that it is only limited by the amount of living creatures with innate magic in the world while the other magics draw on virtually unlimited sources, I would still prefer no corruption or other weird drawback in its use that isn't present in the usage of the other Primal Sources. 

Also I disagree with your point about there being no comparison. Dark Magic isn't "using the lifeforce of a living creature," it's using the innate magic that those creatures naturally hold. In the same way that the other Primal Magics use the specific source to power an associated effect, Dark Magic appears to be using whatever innate magic a magical creature has to power a similar effect to that magic. While it can accomplish more things than those creatures could do individually because it's combining the magic of multiple creatures, in the end, it's just redirecting or reshaping their magic and power, just like the other Primal Magics. 

• JROY

#33738852 - 2 months ago

Oh yeah I forgot they confirmed that Elves live longer than humans.

• JROY

#33738853 - 2 months ago

Here's what Amaya said at her sisters grave...

Hello Sister. You were my heroine.

Perfect, strong, unwavering.

Kind and true.

I'm sorry, big sister.

I have failed.

I had your boys safely with me, but let them slip away.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33738854 - 2 months ago

You know what confuses me in shows like these, that the characters all lack common sense. Like the scene where they're standing on the frozen lake, and they're passing the egg to each other. Why didn't they just slide the egg over to the shore?

• acw28

acw28

#33738857 - 2 months ago

In reply to spoolofwhool

So if Dark Magic doesn't kill things, then why does Viren's spell kill the butterfly? Also, do you have a source for this?

In reply to JROY

I kinda inferred that when Rayla kept mentioning humans having "sub-century lifespans".