Forums > RWBY

Would people be interested in a RWBY minecraft map?

Posts (12)

• 1Rydr1

1Rydr1 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33740038 - 2 weeks ago

Hey guys! I know this seems out of the blue but I have been recently looking into starting to make a RWBY Remnant map in minecraft! I got the idea off of some people for the past 5 years re creating Westeros from Game of Thrones, and that looked like so much fun! It was so interesting exploring the cities and castles looking at new stuff and adaptations from the books and shows and what not. What I imagine this HUGE project to be is make the 5 continents in RWBY to somewhat a scale, for players to explore big marks from the show but also the freedom of travelling anywhere, adding new places and camps maybe add some custom grim mobs IDK! My brain is flowing with creativity rn and I think it'll please the RWBY fans wanting a new game (mainly open world) That want to play in remnant. 

Now I don't want to say all my ideas this is literally the barest of bones explanation I can make but, would you the RWBY community be interested in seeing this project being made/ even help build and create your own creations within the RWBY universe? Thanks for your thoughts! :)

• drunkedhusky24

drunkedhusky24

#33740185 - 2 weeks ago

i Will love a minecraft rwby map, like making beacon academy, the floating amity arena and all that stuff Will be cool but it would be awesome that you made the map as a server so people can socialize, do pvp and even roleplaying

but if you make the map that Will be awesome

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33740517 - 1 week ago

In reply to 1Rydr1 THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!!!! I am a RWBY megafan, and play minecraft on a regular basis with my freinds, and playing hide in seek at beacon academy would be so cool!

• Whiterosepetal

Whiterosepetal

#33740518 - 1 week ago

In reply to 1Rydr1 I would love to help you make the map, but unfortunatly my schedule, crappy building skills and other things (My crap attention span)mean I cant, otherwise it would not come out well.

When  building, remember minecraft rome wasnt built in a day!

• DekZek

DekZek

#33740534 - 1 week ago

Find a scale and stick with it. For the Entire World. Because we do not know every location we are going to, do not shorten distances between locations too much, or you will run into very obvious scaling issues. If you must, you can have the overall environment and the main locations set to different scales, but then you will need to set up a teleportation system to minimize glaring seams. If your cities have different scales, even if they are slightly off, the player will know.

A good portion of the world will be empty terrain/generic forests. Focus on the highlights and making routes feel authentic, not many people are going to wander far enough to notice the lack of content in most places. As more of the story takes place, more of the world will be able to be fleshed out.

Birds Eye view maps of specific areas are godsends. They give proportions, themes, etc. Even if you just know a place is primarily an industrial district, you have much more to go off of in order to make your world feel accurate.

Don't limit yourself to just the show. When a world is as large as Remnant, you need to fill in as much of the world as reasonably possible. Even things which aren't strictly canon can provide inspiration.

Save backups often.

Work on locations one at a time, make one place feel authentic then move on. You need to keep focus.

• DekZek

DekZek

#33740538 - 1 week ago

Start with creating an outline of all the continents, at the scale you want. You don't even need to fill them out for now, you are just making sure the proportions are set. If you want a different scale for your cities, you need to know that ASAP.

If you want a place you can start off at, to get a feel for how large and detailed everything should be, make Patch in its Entirety. You have two significant locations there (Yang's House and Signal Academy), and two major landmarks, one of which is shown prominently (Summer's Grave), and another one which is less prominent and therefore can be left more to your interpretation (where Raven rescued Yang/Ruby). Patch is mostly forested, with some spots being more dense with trees than others. Because we know Signal is on the island, we can also infer that it either has a decently sized city, or a port where it has fairly consistent travel between it and Vale. Because we know how large Vale is, Patch having a city wouldn't make sense, so the second is more likely.

So Patch has:

Yang's House

Signal Academy

Port Town with consistent travel to Vale

Summer's Grave

Warehouse/Farm where Raven rescued Yang/Ruby

Forests of varying density

And splitting up your work like that does marvels. Once you have the scale of everything down, you can have people work independently on each section with no interference. You know the scale, so everything will feel like it belongs.

• DekZek

DekZek

#33740671 - 1 week ago

Sorry if this scared you off, but you really do need to understand the scale of what you are doing before you do it. I've seen too many of these passion projects fall flat due to a lack of planning. I would recommend doing focused locations at a 1:1 scale (Minecraft character is slightly less than 2m tall), and the general landscape at a 1/2 scale. Make pathways into the focused areas unpassable otherwise, whether it be because of trees in the way, steep terrain, or a combination of both. Focused areas just need a good enough view outside that it doesn't look like they are isolated, I'd say going 3 chunks outside in each direction should be fine for plains, but you need to place things further off if they are large/downhill. You can hide the edge of the terrain behind a hill, but you can't behind a valley.

• 1Rydr1

1Rydr1 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33740783 - 1 week ago

• 1Rydr1

#33740784 - 1 week ago

In reply to DekZek

Oh, trust me! By far you are not scaring me off! I know that I need to stick to a scale and I have also been figuring out the proper measurements the past couple days! I attend to stick to the scale and sacrifice the players may be getting a little-bored walking a lot (That's why God invented warps!) But I attend to stick to my scale! :) My scale currently is Vale being the size of LA In the show wise, I am now using a transparent vale map to scale on the Remnant map and seeing how much Vales I can fit in the map in the entirety (oceans too). After I do that I will easily just use the proper calculations and find the large scale of Remnant from the show from then! I will then divide it by a number that I think will be a good size (not 1 for 1 but close)

Sorry if this reply might be a bit confusing or difficult to understand it is currently about 2:22 am and I am about to head to bed! But I appreciate the criticism and aid when I need it most!

• 1Rydr1

#33740785 - 1 week ago

In reply to drunkedhusky24

Those are my plans! Not just beacon and vale but I am literally trying to do EVERYTHING in remnant! :) But my goal is to create this for people to explore, role play with friends and other people and to recreate your favourite scenes as well! 

• 1Rydr1

#33740787 - 1 week ago

In reply to Whiterosepetal

haha wouldn't playing hide in seek in Beacon be fun!! I'm Glad you like my idea!! Can't wait to see you in the server hopefully sometime soon! :) PS: All good you don't need to help if you don't want too! If people just want this to happen the more motivated I'll be to finish it! 

• DekZek

DekZek

#33740811 - 1 week ago

Okay, so you know what you are doing. That's a huge relief. I won't be able to help, since I haven't played Minecraft in forever, and don't have a login anymore (used to use an old friend's login, but I lost access when they changed their Minecraft name because I didn't have their email).

Also, are you scaling on LA county, what is technically considered the city of LA, or downtown LA (what most people think of when they think of LA). Because each of those will give you vastly different results for scale. As someone who lives in LA, the county is huge and spread out.