Forums > RWBY

Is Yang's behavior in Volume 6 justified?

Posts (9)

• CPY98

CPY98 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33746249 - 1 week ago

I'm genuinely curious to hear what people's thoughts on this are, because this has been one of the most divisive parts of Volume 6. Personally, I think her behavior is not justified, and that she's overreacting.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33746254 - 1 week ago

In reply to CPY98

Her behavior displays many symptoms of PTSD. Most people associate PTSD with nightmares, tremors, and flashbacks (things Yang already displayed), but there is a lot more than that. Irritability, mood swings, depression, inability to focus, intrusive thoughts, and inability to sleep are also symptoms. For me the biggest tell was in chapter 5 when Yang's mood turned on a dime when Blake said she'd protect Yang. That kind of sudden mood change is something I have both seen and heard about from PTSD patients (as well as with other disorders, but PTSD is the principle ailment for Yang). The fact that Yang's in a stressful situation and unable to do any kind of treatment also means she hasn't had any chance to really recover either. 

So to answer your question: Yes, she is overreacting, but there is a very good, very real reason for why she is overreacting. 

• LordBeefDip

LordBeefDip FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33746256 - 1 week ago

Yes and no.

Yes in the sense that she and her team have been through hell the last couple years,  with the recent events of Oz promising to not lie or tell half truths,  only for his half truth to nearly get dozens of people including themselves killed, half the train derailed, and themselves stranded in bumfuck icy nowhere. 

Her being upset is very understandable,  especially considering her own hot temper, her PTSD, as well as the secrets he kept and the lies he told.  They on top of everything learned that Salem is an immortal,  seemingly unbeatable eldrich abomination,  and that is a huge revelation to come to terms with. Especially for a teen barely an adult to process, in such a short time.

That said, she still was needlessly harsh,  and should have been a bit more understanding given that she saw the hell Oz dealt with,  destined to suffer and experience death over and over again until he fulfills a seemingly impossible task. In some ways he was partially vindicated in his secret keeping, though only somewhat. 

She could have handled it much better, but it is both in character and is realistic.  Most of us, or most people in general would not be able to approach that situation with anything close to a level head, and after how things have been for her and the team,  with no time to process, it's more shocking she didn't punch Ozpin. Especially considering most of us likely don't have PTSD to cope with on top of everything else.

All she really even said, was "There was so much you didn't tell us, how could you think that was okay?!" and "That bastard!  Tell him we're not done yet!"  .  Not exactly some screaming freakout, just a few rude, heated lines of dialogue.  She came across too harsh,  but I think some fans are definitely overreacting massively themselves.  Not you in particular,  but there are those hating her character now, and saying they now want terrible things to happen to her,  and ironically throwing fits themselves.  Like, there are people who have so little self reflection that they don't notice the irony in bashing a character for being upset in a tense situation,  while themselves throwing a worse tantrum over the actions of a fictional character in a fictional story. 

I do sympathize with Oz greatly, and feel for him.  But I understand the groups anger and tension as well, and I know that I wouldn't be anywhere near calm myself if I were in such a scenario. 

Really, I am just glad Maria was there as the voice of reason,  and that Ruby quickly backed her up. The team needs people like that till they can calm down.  Let cooler heads prevail. Once things finally settle down,  I think all sides can finally wise up and admit where they fucked up.

• kriss

kriss FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Community Manager

#33746259 - 1 week ago

Overreacting, not really. I think we've all seen how Yang is when she goes from 0-60 haha. But I believe she's really upset that Blake feels that she needs to protect her, so now she is perceived as weak and unable to fight for herself. It's no secret that Yang relies heavily on her strength and power. I think this will be a good growing point for her, but she has to get over how Blake chose to care for a friend and talk her feelings out with her. If she continues to bottle, it won't end well for either party. 

• CPY98

CPY98 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33746260 - 1 week ago

In reply to LordBeefDip I'm hoping they admit they made mistakes, but i'm kind of concerned they won't, because a similar thing happened on a show that I watch called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. In that show, one of the characters does a questionable action that ultimately ends up benefiting the rest of the heroes, but he was never forgiven. I can't help but feel that a similar thing might happen to Ozpin

• ImBridiculous

ImBridiculous FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold ImBridiculous

#33746284 - 1 week ago

I agree about the PTSD points mentioned. Suffering from it myself, I was actually really happy the writers chose to make it a continuing struggle, because that's honest. It also can't be dismissed that Yang is still young. She's been through a lot and is still trying to navigate growing up, let alone everything else. In a way she had to act as Ruby's mother and still found a way to have fun. I think the battle in which she lost her arm shattered any sense of security she had in relation to being able to protect Ruby, her team, or even herself. I think she has likely always put a lot of pressure on herself to be able to handle things and that explains her frustration when she can't "handle" her PTSD, which bubbles up in other ways that don't always make sense to the surrounding characters. 

• SaberWulf

SaberWulf

#33746292 - 1 week ago

Yes and no.

While yes, there are factors she can't control regarding her PTSD, I feel as though her behavior has been a little...much especially the complete lack of understanding with every Oz has had thrown onto him. 

• gorriller

gorriller FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33746352 - 1 week ago

Given what Yang has gone through, I think she is doing really well.  

First, realize Blake hasn't been around Yang a lot since the end of season 3.  She knows Yang lost most of her arm, but doesn't know anything about her rehab.  Blake's jump to help with the bag in the train is entirely reasonable.  You could say that Blake overreacted.

I was impressed that Yang's response was VERY reasonable.  She made the point calmly and caringly.  She is functioning extremely well for her history.  IMHO

• Wits

Wits FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33746418 - 1 week ago

Really I understand her : she just learnt that the war in which she lost not one but two mothers (one by leaving the other by dying) is just a mere delaying manoeuvre against a foe that "can't be destroyed" she didn't have weeks of reflexion, and is still suffering of abandonment issues and a PTSD...
    Even if, yeah, her behaviour is not the wisest, it explains a lot.

Concerning her attitude toward Blake offering to protect her, I think it's due partly to the fact she considers she herself failed to protect Blake and this trigger her self depreciation...