Forums > RWBY

Volume 7 Wants and Theories

Posts (391)

• ZanyGamer196

ZanyGamer196 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759836 - 1 week ago

And one thing I'd like to add to my previous list:

6) Confirmation on Raven's fate after Haven.  Is she changing her ways, did she kill herself, or did she simply keep flying after appearing over Tai's house?  After everything she pulled in Volume 5, it'd be criminal to leave her fate up in the air, for she hardly paid a price for what she did to the group. Hopefully that gets rectified in this upcoming Volume, because that's a seriously large loose end on CRWBY's part, one I really want to see tied up.

• Velrak

Velrak

#33759837 - 1 week ago

In reply to ZanyGamer196

Definitely agree although I don't blame them for not showing anything Raven related in V6. That would have taken too much time to do it properly, sticking with the end credit scene at the end of V5 was a good solution in my opinion.

One could argue that she hardly paid the price: she lost Vernal, maybe even her tribe and she definitely lost the last bit of "strength" and especially credibility she had after her discussion with Yang. She also lost Yang again one could say.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759839 - 1 week ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

Magic CANNOT be explained. That is the top fact about magic

• JROY

JROY FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gaurdian Lvl.3

#33759841 - 1 week ago

In reply to Velrak

In reply to ZanyGamer196

Well the two most probable theories are:

1. She is staying with Tai at his house.

2. She just used her portal connection to escape and instantly started flying back to her tribe.

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33759842 - 1 week ago

In reply to Dinobot01

Demonstrably untrue. Numerous works have broken down the basic mechanics of what their magic systems are capable of and how they function. Librarians, for example, boils all magic down to a simple principle of three components: power, focus, effect. Other works such as The Pillars of Reality series and The Inheritance Cycle have gone even further and spell out exactly how a practitioner of magic shapes and implements their spells. Magic can be and often is explained whenever it plays a central role in the story and how the main characters interact with the world.

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759844 - 1 week ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

The question would be what is "magic" in a world that already has more than one class of superpowers.

There seem to be ordinary people who cannot activate Aura or use dust and they make up the most of the population.

(1) Dust

Then you can use dust, but in contrast to the supply, explicit dust usage is seldom shown. You can use it as ammunition and also consume it like a drug.

The consume part would imply the possibility of a shortage, but that is never explored. There is no one complaining about dust shortage in his organism and no one runs out of dust.

(2) Semblances

You can have only one semblance and it is powered by aura

(3) Supplementary, rare or unique superpowers

Silver Eyes, Immortality, Soul wandering after death, at least 4 people confirmed to have such abilities.

If driven by aura, there is no real reason not to qualify SE's as a second semblance instead of using a special category.

(4) Magic

If you already have superpowers, Magic is nothing more then more versatility in one person and maybe more power to use the expanded abilities. More different spells with the option of learning even more. If you want a really complicated setup you can provide a separate fuel tank to drive magic.

If it is aura driven, it is just "more" semblances for one person with the option to acquire even more.

Fun fact, Weiss of all people who already has much more versatility than most others, is astonished that magic exists. Them Schnees are really suspicious, especially if you take a look how magic usage is shown in many other fantasy anime shows (ornamented circles).

Would like to know into which category Winter's and Qrow's running/jumping up walls is to be put. Are they on dust?

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33759846 - 1 week ago

In reply to BakedBrain

Would like to know into which category Winter's and Qrow's running/jumping up walls is to be put. Are they on dust?

Nah, that's just anime physics: sufficiently badass fighters can temporarily ignore gravity/physics as dictated by the Rule of Cool.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759867 - 1 week ago

Yet, universes such as Marvel and DC would disagree

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33759891 - 1 week ago

In reply to Dinobot01

I checked the numbers on DC, and there are a total of approximately 126 "characters who use magic". That's all characters, good, evil, both, neither, and/or "it depends" who use magic in the entire DC universe. That universe also has over ten thousand heroes. And I doubt the statistics are much different for Marvel. Magic is not a significant force in either universe. In RWBY it is implied that wars were fought over the Maiden powers, to the point that Oz and his allies have actively worked to suppress knowledge of that power for centuries. Granted, magic hasn't spent much time near the center stage in RWBY thus far, but as things stand now the Big Bad, her currently-somewhat-AWOL-Dragon, the Big Good, and a Wild Card Neutral who commands a small but not insignificant faction all have magic and have fought over it to one degree or another. Magic is a significant and active power on Remnant, so I feel it will eventually become necessary for them to establish some parameters and/or boundaries on what magic is capable of.

• ZanyGamer196

ZanyGamer196 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759907 - 6 days ago

In reply to JROY

I really hope it's not the second, since that would be severe character regression, and thus make everything that happened to her in Volume 5 meaningless.  She betrays her whole family in order to try and get the Relic, then simply flies back to her tribe?  Almost sounds like she got off scot free, save for the loss of Vernal of course.  But still, simply going back to the way things were is what got her in trouble in the first place, and doing it again will not improve her lot.  Just the opposite in fact.

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33759909 - 5 days ago

In reply to ZanyGamer196

Going back to the tribe is a possibility, and if she does I predict one of two things will happen:

a) She hides out there until the fight with Salem escalates and/or something comes up that requires all the Maidens and Yang goes to shame Raven into re-entering the fray, either with Tai accompanying her or using something bad that happened to Tai as a motivation for Raven to care.

b) She hides out with her tribe until Salem decides she wants another shot at the Spring Maiden powers or just wants the power taken off the board for a bit. The tribe will obviously be all but obliterated and either Raven will flee and be forced to join up with Our Heroes out of self preservation or will make a last stand, no doubt including an epic fight scene, before dying and possibly willing her powers to Yang as a final act.

I don't know that going back to the tribe would be a regression, since Raven has always made it very clear the tribe is her first and usually only priority. It definitely wouldn't be a progression either, but static characters aren't inherently bad or boring characters.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33759910 - 5 days ago

In reply to Dinobot01

Demonstrably untrue. Numerous works have broken down the basic mechanics of what their magic systems are capable of and how they function. Librarians, for example, boils all magic down to a simple principle of three components: power, focus, effect. Other works such as The Pillars of Reality series and The Inheritance Cycle have gone even further and spell out exactly how a practitioner of magic shapes and implements their spells. Magic can be and often is explained whenever it plays a central role in the story and how the main characters interact with the world.

The Inheritance Cycle (plus Tales from Alagaësia) was exactly what I was thinking about when I was talking about defining magic, in that world, magic is very strictly defined, by words, intention, and power, even as far as needing to enchant/sing spells into objects as they are made to make them permanent

• ZanyGamer196

#33759998 - 1 day ago

In reply to ZanyGamer196

I don't know that going back to the tribe would be a regression, since Raven has always made it very clear the tribe is her first and usually only priority. It definitely wouldn't be a progression either, but static characters aren't inherently bad or boring characters.

I would strongly disagree about how much she "prioritizes" the tribe.  Much of what she's shown us since Volume 4 has been one big hoax; she claims the tribe is her family yet she feels nothing when Yang pummels them.  She claims she feels nothing for Yang and Tai, but if that were the case then she'd have no more bond with them and thus her Semblance would be useless in their case.  She claims to believe that strength is absolute, yet hardly ever puts herself at risk to prove it.  And she hid within the tribe in order to escape being targeted by Salem, but of course she will never admit it, to herself or her tribe.

So in short, her supposed devotion to the tribe is one big deception, one of many.  Hopefully now that her ruse has been exposed, we get to see the real Raven at long last, it couldn't come soon enough in my book.

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33760008 - 22 hours ago

In reply to ZanyGamer196

Remember she's also got her "strong survive" philosophy. If full tribe members can't handle one 18 year old girl, that's their problem, particularly when they started it. Yes, she does have feelings for Tai and Yang, but that doesn't preclude her from having feelings for the tribe as well, particularly since she seems to be in serious denial over what she feels towards the two of them; which, at least in fiction, tends to lead to the person trying to find something else to bury themselves in. And I don't think she was trying to avoid Salem specifically, in the sense that Salem was after her personally, just that she was scared of the implications of the conflict between Salem and Oz and ran back to something she knew and understood.

Basically I think when Raven talks about "the tribe" she doesn't mean the individuals in it, she means the group as a whole and their philosophies.

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33760011 - 17 hours ago

Her strategy is leaking.

Sides with Salem (or Cinder) because she fears annihilation of her tribe, but then intends to backstab.

Assuming that Salem would honour her tribe's independence after having defeated Ozxxx faction is just plain dumb.

Assuming that Salem would tolerate her stalling transferring the relic while negotiating is just as plain dumb.

Any self respecting supervillain would think that a nice deep crater would look really good on the site of her tribe's camp after being betrayed. And supervillains do not need proof of treason. Not having the relic after the action would be enough, especially if you would know that Cinder went to the vault with "allies".

• Ace-of-Rogues

#33760017 - 10 hours ago

In reply to BakedBrain

Yes, as Yang pointed out at the end of V5. Raven either doesn't really comprehend how powerful Salem is or doesn't want to accept it. She assumed Salem was more or less the same as her, just with a bit more reach. Given that, taking a powerful item and killing one of Salem's lieutenants is a plausible strategy for deterring Salem. Unfortunately for her, she completely miscalculated. And I doubt Raven has even heard the word "supervillain" before, much less knows the concept, so one can hardly expect her to think of Salem in those terms.