Forums > RWBY

Volume 7 Wants and Theories

Posts (235)

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758321 - 1 week ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

SE are even more than "what you see is what you kill" for up to medium sized Grimm, because you get a spherical kill zone with the SE user in the center. There is no overwhelming with numbers, because if you ask how many are killed the answer is all of them. Starting from zero Ruby even has at least one reload.

A limitation until now is that Ruby is so selfless, she cannot fire in self-defense even if faced with a Godzilla at zero range, but Maria could do it.

Counters to be employed by the opposition would be taking cover or wearing protective (speak opaque) clothing and not looking when Ruby fires which is basically the same.

The sky is coverless terrain and Salem's flying apes have no armor, so they only have a chance if Ruby "jams" or is herself placed in an opaque container.

I would like to see Ruby + Jaune in a lighthouse to focus the light of the SE, that should be sufficient to whack any Grimm. Fortunately for balance a lighthouse mirror system is not easy to transport.

By the way, what happens if Ruby pinned a superlarge Grimm and then Weiss finished the Grimm. E.g. hack off the head with her super-sword strike. Would it be added to Weiss' summoning pool?

• EmperorLuffy

EmperorLuffy

#33758347 - 6 days ago

In reply to BakedBrain

When I make a thread about how to write Ruby's character arcs I'm gonna include a section talking about the Silver Eyes. Everyone seems to think that because they exist the Grimm are no longer a threat or that Ruby needs her eyes ripped out. All of the arguments against Silver Eyes are just plain nonsense. 

• seedfan85

seedfan85

#33758425 - 5 days ago

In reply to BakedBrain

There is no evidence that the Silver Eyes require the grimm to be looking at them, so them looking away would have little effect. Conversely, if they were to manage to completely cover themselves by something, like a cape or cloak, and lie on the ground with no area of themselves exposed, then they 'might' be able to get away with surviving, but that's only if the Silver Eyes don't release a pulse or something that interacts with the cellular structure of the Grimm, because that would mean that they function similarly to an explosion and obstacles like clothing would be largely inconsequential.

In reply to EmperorLuffy

Not quite. Are the grimm a threat, yes. But, because of the Silver Eyes, the threat that they pose to the protagonists, is ludicrously small. The problem with having a small threat with an overpowered protagonist, is that any struggle that they have will be inherently unbelievable for the audience. The reason that we think that one of Ruby's eyes needs to go, is because we're still on board with the concept of Silver Eyes, but the power resides in the eyes and needs to be downgraded to keep the other protagonists relevant.

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758431 - 5 days ago

In reply to seedfan85

I think this is a misunderstanding. It makes no sense to fully protect a Grimm against SE (if the author's rules allow it) with the exception of the eye. You cannot face a flamethrower even clad in the best asbestos suit, if you do not wear protective goggles.

The protection assumption is based on the SE firing in the Haven fight. Cinder's Grimm rubber arm which was prottected by just cloth gave her pain but was not damaged when 'hit' by the light. Being lightlike I assume the SE blast does not travel through opaque materiels,

I would rather let the baddies upgrade then maim Ruby. Although a pirate like eye patch may look cool. But if you have to do it, then it should affect her close combat abilitiy more than the SE blast. She would have no depth in her sight any more. What would be half vaporized? 

• seedfan85

seedfan85

#33758432 - 5 days ago

In reply to BakedBrain

You seem to have misunderstood what I meant. I was trying to...maybe not very clearly...draw a comparison between Silver Eyes and Lelouch's Geass, which requires direct eye contact to enact its power to highlight the differences. If you're referring to the sliding power scale, I don't really think that they need to 'upgrade', because, ultimately, the enemies that they're going to be running up against, are the same ones that they got beaten by before, then, essentially, drew with the second time, except now they've been training under Salem's goons, so...in a way...with the exception of Cinder & Neo, they already have been. As for Salem...well, enough said. The bigger problem, is the rest of the main cast's relative lack of power.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758444 - 4 days ago

In reply to seedfan85

The Grimm with few exceptions have never been a major threat to the protagonists, in that respect SE doesn't change much, except in regards to mega Grimm and Apathy. However there are two major weaknesses to them, first is focus required, and the second is that she and those immediately next to her are blinded by it, which is a problem depending on terrain and if there are enemies that aren't Grimm.

• EmperorLuffy

EmperorLuffy

#33758449 - 4 days ago

In reply to seedfan85

Not quite. Are the grimm a threat, yes. But, because of the Silver Eyes, the threat that they pose to the protagonists, is ludicrously small. The problem with having a small threat with an overpowered protagonist, is that any struggle that they have will be inherently unbelievable for the audience. The reason that we think that one of Ruby's eyes needs to go, is because we're still on board with the concept of Silver Eyes, but the power resides in the eyes and needs to be downgraded to keep the other protagonists relevant.

Ruby isn't overpowered. They don't need to be "downgraded" for the other protagonists to be relevant. I just went over this a page ago.

You can do this by simply making the Silver Eyes difficult to master, or even creating situations that off-set Ruby's focus. The Silver Eyes are something that forces not only the writers but the villains to get creative in how they attack the main cast. If Grimm aren't a threat(They are I'm just speaking hypothetically here) then don't send Grimm to attack Ruby. Send other Huntsmen. Robots. Have someone attack their group to split them up and attack Ruby with Assassins while her friends struggle with the Grimm. 

• BakedBrain

#33758452 - 4 days ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

But there is a little problem. To provide an emo-moment, the authors made Ruby fire on remembering her mother. Said mother was not in danger. This would remove the main restriction that SE can only be fired if you or your friends are in immediate danger of death.

There will be some backpedalling on this.

There is no general focus requirement, Maria shot spontaneously on self-defense. Ruby is to selfless to do that, but having to imagine her mother is more than compensating.

Depending on the environment, being blinded is no big deal. In the open the range is several hundred meters. And the protagonists overcome the blindness faster than super Grimm need to break free of their stone cocoon.

Against Grimm Ruby is off-the-charts effective compared to other characters.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758457 - 4 days ago

In reply to BakedBrain

There wasn't backpedaling, the eyes are about protecting what's good in the world, and her memories of Summer probably represent a lot of that. 

Maria had been training the ability, Ruby has just begun, also note Maria only used her eyes as a last resort, there's probably a reason other than her father's suspicions.

As for the environment, if you are blind, you can lose your balance, so yes the environment is a very important consideration

• BakedBrain

#33758459 - 4 days ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

For me it is too much drama to prioritize memories of your mother over your own life. I admit I have a list towards logic.

• MichaelHalpe

#33758460 - 4 days ago

In reply to BakedBrain

In reply to MichaelHalpe

For me it is too much drama to prioritize memories of your mother over your own life. I admit I have a list towards logic.

Think of it like Peter Pan only instead of flying, its the Avatar State. More significantly, Ruby's selflessness (a trait that is probably common in SEWs baring extreme trauma) means that it probably can't just be about protecting herself

• BakedBrain

#33758467 - 4 days ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

Simply does not work for me, and if Peter Pan is similar, associating it with this will rather contaminate Peter Pan than save this mother move.

Her mother was not in this danger zone (while a lot of people includin herself and Jaune's sister's family were) and I just cannot follow this philosophical-emotional-whatever carry over.

• EmperorLuffy

EmperorLuffy

#33758471 - 4 days ago

In reply to BakedBrain

There is no general focus requirement, 

It requires concentration to focus on a memory. That requires focus especially in the heat of battle.

Maria shot spontaneously on self-defense. 

Yeah she's a master. Ruby is a novice. Obviously Maria had mastered the ability to the point she could use it on reflex. Ruby isn't there yet.

Ruby is to selfless to do that,

What does selflessness have to do with anything?

• Velrak

Velrak

#33758477 - 3 days ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

In reply to BakedBrain

The Summer memory we got was a continuation of previous memories of Ruby trying to collect enough positive thoughts to create a favorable state of mind for the use of her SE. That was the lesson by Maria ; being able to create a special state of mind for the use of SE on which you can quickly focus. These memories value the best aspects of life.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758480 - 3 days ago

I have the strange feeling that next season will be mainly about Weiss and how she will face her family. I also hope that we will finally learn if Jaune is from Atlus or not

• EmperorLuffy

EmperorLuffy

#33758487 - 3 days ago

Why would Jaune be from Atlas? That doesn't make any sense. 

• MichaelHalpe

#33758499 - 3 days ago

In reply to Dinobot01

I have the strange feeling that next season will be mainly about Weiss and how she will face her family. I also hope that we will finally learn if Jaune is from Atlus or not

Jaune's probably from Vale,

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758515 - 3 days ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

Not likely. Otherwise we would met more of his family earlier and he would have said something about it

In reply to EmperorLuffy

Why doesn't it make sense? We know where everyone is from EXCEPT him. He could be

• MichaelHalpe

#33758518 - 3 days ago

In reply to Dinobot01

Not necessarily, as unless specified otherwise the general assumption for most people will be that you are local, and it never came up when they were at beacon (other than that he has 7 sisters), therefore he is probably from Vale. In addition he didn't exactly put a lot of effort into getting in, and faking transcripts AND catching a flight to another country is pretty extreme. Add to this his general attitudes, while certainly not exclusive to Vale they are probably more common in Vale than they are in Atlas

• Dinobot01

#33758525 - 3 days ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

Not all people in high society act like it. Maybe one of Jaunes sisters helped him with the fake transcripts. If he was from Vale, then it would have had a bigger impact on his family, plus saphron would have said something. All I'm saying is, until we here it either from RT or in the show, we can't overlook the possibility

• EmperorLuffy

EmperorLuffy

#33758541 - 3 days ago

In reply to Dinobot01

Thats not really the impression given when we meet him. He doesn't give off the attitude of someone from Atlas, or even seem to have any knowledge of it. The most prominent theories about Jaune are that he's a descent of the King of Vale. Him being from Atlas is completely arbitrary by comparison. 

• Dinobot01

#33758549 - 3 days ago

In reply to EmperorLuffy

As I said, not ALL people in high society look or act like it

• EmperorLuffy

EmperorLuffy

#33758562 - 3 days ago

In reply to Dinobot01

But theres not really any indication he's from high society in the first place. In fact most evidence points to him living outside the Kingdoms.

In Vol 4 he was explaining the area where his family would stay and go camping while on their way to Mistral. That sounds more like he lives close to Vale. 

• Dinobot01

#33758596 - 2 days ago

In reply to EmperorLuffy

Fair point. But people love in high society love to take vacations in the country side. All I'm saying is, until it's proven fore sure where Jaune is from, we over look the possibility he's from Atlus

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33758599 - 2 days ago

In reply to Dinobot01

His prized possession is a "Pumpkin Pete" hoodie he saved up box-tops for. I think we can reasonably rule out "high society" as an origin point.