Forums > RWBY

Constructive criticism on RWBY in general

Posts (63)

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33752713 - 2 months ago

In order to make RWBY good, there has to be constructive criticism, not a praise and turning blind eyes. The same applies to just pure hatred.

This topic is dedicated to those who wants to provide criticism and how to improve the quality of the show before it's too late.

Using examples from youtube videos such as Adel, Eruption Fangs, Muffin Man Dan, Vexed Viewer, and Fatmanfalling are welcome.

Please do not start flame wars.

Thank you

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33752809 - 2 months ago

Give the villains some success to build up a threat to the world.

Salem currently controls ZERO of 4 relics, ZERO of 4 maidens (Cinder rogue). The success is limited to having neutralized one academy campus (but with very limited loss of personnel) and having removed the professional Hunter complement of one kingdom - with no known consequences, Mistral was not overrun by Grimm until now. They also whacked two protagonists, but also lost an ally and a very well placed turncoat.

We are about half way into the story, so the villains should have neutralized the equivalent of at least one kingdom completely.

• TheImmoralCookie

TheImmoralCookie FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33752861 - 2 months ago

In reply to HokutoYangSoup

In reply to BakedBrain

There are so many things I could come up with. But if I had only A sentence, it would go like so:

"Everything and I mean "everything" is the same."

(Plot and writing wise. That or atleast execution leaves a ton to be desired. Quality and VA-ting is awesome.)

• CarryOn88

CarryOn88

#33752866 - 2 months ago

Be consistent with what you set up.

If you kept let's say Adam in his character and did not turn him into toxic ex the story would go much better. Instead of chasing after Blake he would go back to WF and re-group keeping that plot Alive till vol 5 where we could see some actual Fanus discrimination.

Because until now we have people saying how Faunus are discriminated but we never seen the real discrimination. Not in Vale and the sign Fanus not allowed in MIstral is way too little to establish it as anything more than one person preferences over his guests. 

• BakedBrain

BakedBrain FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33752882 - 2 months ago

In reply to CarryOn88

There is NO Faunus discrimination.

"Incident 1". Certified asshole and bully pulls on rabbit ears. Would have pulled on any normal human plait just as well - VOID.

And by the way, this makes Velvet's retroactively inserted team look like shit. They are one year ahead of Cardin (who is not that competent) and do not protect her, rabbit ears or plait.

"Incident 2" Drinking hole with certified asshole bartender has "No Faunus" sign outside in the shadows. Yawn! We have hidden one piece of "solid" proof of racism in 5 (FIVE) volumes, can you find it?

Non-incident: Blake removes her bow  aaaaand - nothing happens. Putting it on in the first place was for naught.

"Incident 3" Truck convoy crewed by masked and armed Faunus-people is attacked by thug-textured human-people - how could they. From sight, either desperate villagers defending against truckloads of masked and armed intruders or bandits - Balance of power is ridiculous, the convoy has no less than three hunter-grade people - VOID

"Incident 4" Faunus attack dust processing plant with no evidence of misconduct on the side of the plant - VOID

"Incident 5" Adam has an injury from a branding iron. Perhaps he was again attacking some lowly workers who were just marking crates and happened to have one of his competence nosedives. In selfdefense one of the workers hit him with the branding iron, because the worker had no real weapon. Adam ran away whining. No wonder he hid the scar ...

Not a reveal - a cover up.

And the White Fangies always complain about Atlas but vandalize Vale, Mistral and Menagerie.

Finally a real sign of discrimination, Menagerie got no CC tower, but that would be again - Atlas

And then another one: Cordo spread negative waves in the matter and got away.

• TheImmoralCookie

TheImmoralCookie FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33752908 - 2 months ago

In reply to BakedBrain

I see a trend here...And it has lots of...*yawn*...Zzz...

• TheImmoralCookie

#33752909 - 2 months ago

In reply to BakedBrain

The thing that annoys me is, RWBY has great material!!! It has the best foundation a show could want!!! I don't get how everything is so bland and one sided!!! Besides the awesomeness that we get, we get nothing moreNo extra depth from,...ANYTHING!

Heroes always win; no ones feelings get too hurt; and all the villains either die or loose. Where is the actual investment and STRESS of an actual show!?!?!?! This is the wrong stress to be having!

I swear if Atlas is saved by some twenty (probably by now) year old KIDS, IMA LOOSE MY MIND!!!

YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS CRWBY, ROOSTER TEETH, MILES, KERRY, ECT...ECT...ECT...

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33752913 - 2 months ago

In reply to TheImmoralCookie

Now this show is more of a left wing politics influencing the show than the former.

RWBY and the Monty Oum credit is becoming just a name at this point, and they should know it better.

• TheImmoralCookie

#33752922 - 2 months ago

(This is copy/pasted from my youtube comment, with edits. It counts!)

I have a feeling RT has ran into a serious time management problem with RWBY now.

According to Eruption Fang (Wasted Potential of Adam), there are some rendered scenes meant for volume three where Yang gets her arm cut off, that was transitioned (aka: copy/pasted) into the fight where Adam dies. I believe it was used as an "extra" or filler to actually get some content in volume six out and finished in time.

All of the last three episodes were clearly rushed and everything in volume six seemed rushed! Which is probably why RT killed off Adam.

They probably had to make a cut for some unjustified reason and decided Adam had to go. I don't know how the writers couldn't know that Adam was a loved character by all...Minus when he turns from well written to reverse development.

I really don't have any faith in Kerry (or the other writers if Kerry isn't the overlord of RWBY) much anymore as Miles seems to be "babysitting" from the side lines not really taking part in the development process anymore.

If anything, RWBY has no good writers. Yes, they have a template of what Monty wrote, but, honestly, no one knows what they're doing! No one is giving RWBY the attention, time, and love it needs. You wanna know why volume six was so bad? Its because people (the good people) left to go make a new show (*cough* GenLOCK) when clearly RT dosen't have the means and resources to actually make another show and keep up with the demand of RWBY.

YOU CANT BABYSIT RWBY! Because thats exactly what it feels like to the viewers now RT!!!

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33752968 - 2 months ago

In reply to TheImmoralCookie I was on that comment. Let's hope the manga or the game version of Adam would make up for this.

I definitely don't want him to be remembered as a bastardized version of DmC Vergil.

Perhaps playing Blazblue Cross Tag Battle should soothe your frustration?

• CarryOn88

CarryOn88

#33753060 - 2 months ago

Quite honestly I had the same feeling that RWBY got sidelined. Both in skilled writters, budget and general attention of RT

They had a source material that could be next Avatar the Last Airbender hit. Unique world, interesting characters, mystery and so on so on RWBY has or yes still has a tremondous potential but I feat that Gen:Lock will take all the attantion since it's clear that RT will invest in that now.

Yeah I noticed that too. Maybe instead of making the show inclusive they should me focusing on making it good.

• BakedBrain

#33753063 - 2 months ago

It may be a problem to have that much foundation.

When you start "rewriting" as some commentators do, you are not restricted by ressources and you do it in a way you and your followers want it. If you want a fair rewrite, you should not be allowed to use more screentime or animation complexity.

E.g. having the protagonists and Cordo properly pay for their infighting would result in the Godzilla Grimm razing the city. Just animating the city as background is already expensive. Razing it properly would be extremely expensive. And not all people like the thrill and shock element. In sports there are people who want to see a close fight and other people who want to see their team win - as high as possible.

Increasing the threat level to the world and especially the characters would not be met with universal appeal.

You have to ask yourself, what would you ditch in order to get your improvements.

• BakedBrain

#33753065 - 2 months ago

What does genlock have, what RWBY does not have.

* genlock has real high yield damage to its very top character, nowhere near fully compensated like Yang, question is, if this will be a recurring pattern, if there will be more casualties as the show progresses

* genlock has a dynamic threat to the world, the antagonists are making strong initial progress, there is also projected progress

As of now, a high threat environment to both the world and the protagonists.

RWBY was this way only in the second half of volume 3, and it was not universally acclaimed.

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33753073 - 2 months ago

Guess that means the RWBY is dead to begin with if that is what you mean? 

• TheImmoralCookie

#33753076 - 2 months ago

At this stage RWBY can be salvaged. But they are halfway through the show if we only go to the four kingdoms, so RT hast to do something now. I honestly don't have that much hope for it anymore.

And even if you do have a very solid foundation, you can still re-write things and fit your own takes and such in there. And if you have a lack of resources, then what are you doing thats leaving you nothing to work with? I just feel like RT gave up on volume six a little bit and just rushed it out to go launch GenLOCK. Either because they liked it more or they "needed" too.

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33753079 - 2 months ago

In reply to TheImmoralCookie Could be both. Only matter of time before fans grabbed their torches and pitchforks against them.

• BakedBrain

#33753099 - 2 months ago

Where is the constructive part?

Things you get (almost) nowhere ...

* Consequences for dumb actions commited in the name of awesome/emo-max

* Carefully planned fight scenes backed up by detailed character stats keeping track of health statistics

* Fight scenes with mulitple participants on both sides engaging simultaneously, action with dynamically changing situations and no participants hiding in reserve

* Max-capacity behaviour of antagonists who deploy seemingly overwhelming force

Things I can do without

* Character development through repetitive and/or routine actions like training

* Extensive foreshadowing of upcoming events, when the buildup is outside of the scope of the normal narrative

• LordBeefDip

LordBeefDip FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33753110 - 2 months ago

Now this show is more of a left wing politics influencing the show than the former.

RWBY and the Monty Oum credit is becoming just a name at this point, and they should know it better.

The show has always been this way, and you would have to be pretty blind to miss it. Of course I don't see the relevance of bringing real world politics into this,  but is it the LGBT pairings that are getting you to say that? Is that a negative in of itself?  And are you implying Monty didn't want that or it's going against Monty's vision because of it?

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33753153 - 2 months ago

In reply to LordBeefDip that is not what I meant. LGBT is fine if done properly and this not one of them. Sometimes The writers did okay, other times they shove it in our face or otherwise teasing us to no end.

• TheImmoralCookie

#33753156 - 2 months ago

RWBY doesn't have the time to properly do anything correctly. And if it did (because we know it doesn't) then the writers just don't know where they want to take RWBY. But as I said, RWBY doesn't have the time.

I think they need to focus on the quality of the story, not the show itself. Because volume five and six excel at physical quality, but they are lacking quality everywhere else. (Minus the VAs)

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33753185 - 2 months ago

Honestly the least they can do is honoring Monty Oum by not destroying the series he worked so hard to make it happen, and setting their pride aside. 

Like make the main cast and villain being less privileged or subject to purge, no asspull and show actual pay off. And more importantly, make RWBY team a RWBY team, not a bunch of TV drama wannabe.

• CarryOn88

CarryOn88

#33753213 - 2 months ago

Ok next thing I have. Not kicking people over allegations. 

Vic Mignogna (Qrow)

Was kicked out of the VA cast from RWBY over allegation from ,,Me too" that he hugged and kissed someone without their concessions. Bravo RT your SJW is growing every day

• Kira_Tsukasa

Kira_Tsukasa FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Gundam Pilot

#33753219 - 2 months ago

In reply to CarryOn88

I have my own thoughts on that, but is that really anything new from RT? Where exactly has Glynda Goodwitch been for the last three volumes?

• BakedBrain

#33753245 - 2 months ago

What I do not like is random-rollercoaster-riding.

They have it twice explicitly in their "rules"

* If the last person a maiden was thinking of is not eligible for maiden, the maiden powers go to someone random, instead of running down to the last eligible person thought of.

* If two Faunus have a child and they do not have traits of the same species, the child gets a trait of a  random species. This is the time for another short Faunus rant. This rule is counterintuitive, even for the authors and all Faunus known to be relatives are of the same species (cat - cat - cat; and fox - fox - fox - fox). Which would make Faunus superselective (speciest) when selecting partners to have children with.

* The series world threat level has a "random" spike in the second half of 3

* Adams carreer also has a seemingly random spike up and then capsizes, also seemingly random

* Blakes relationship's (whatever they really are) are plenty and zigzagging at random.

So a little more consequence would be appreciated.

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33753255 - 2 months ago

In reply to CarryOn88 Let's hope they don't shot themselves in the foot later down the line.