Forums > RWBY

Vic Mignogna

Posts (67)

• RyujinX

RyujinX

#33753514 - 1 week ago

In reply to CPY98

Good to know what side you're on, I guess. 

In reply to Bumblebee4life

And here I thought that's how it is in (almost) every situation like this...

• Bumblebee4life

Bumblebee4life

#33753696 - 1 week ago

I’ve just realized something: one of the people listed on the KickVic document was a former Channel Awesome producer known as Marzgurl. You know who is is ex CA: Jesuotaku otherwise known as Jacob Chapman. And where is mr Chapman employed now? Anime News Network 

• RyujinX

RyujinX

#33753705 - 1 week ago

In reply to Bumblebee4life

And that implies...?

• bestpun

bestpun FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33753778 - 1 week ago

I don't get how people can defend RT on this one. If they had shown a backbone and said that they will not fire him until he is proven guilty, they would have received HUGE support from fans. Honestly, I would have thrown my money at them in solidarity.

The #metoo movement has good intentions and as a feminist I absolutely support the intention but it has created a extremely dangerous double edged sword that can also be misused by reactionaries to harm good people.

This has already happened with James Gunn where right-wing extremists got him fired by creating a artificial controversy.

Should we just let people spreading hate win? Should we accept that actual victims will not be heard anymore because of people using the #metoo movement for personal gain?

No, we need to grow a backbone and stand for what is right.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33753794 - 1 week ago

In reply to bestpun

I was wondering when James Gunn would show up here.  That incident shows that the outrage culture that's cropped up on a lot of things can be easily used against people by those who have FAR more experience in it then the current generation does.  He made one questionable comment in his career, and hasn't had anything before OR after, AND that was over six years ago.  Hell, it was blatantly obvious that the right-wingers did it to politically assassinate him, and it worked beyond their wildest dreams.  Outrage culture treated it like it was fresh news, and he got axed from Guardians of the Galaxy.

But that's not the historical allegory that's applicable here.  The one that should come to mind is Joseph McCarthy, his Red Scare, and the House of Un-American Activities Committee.

Also, standing for what's right is seeking the truth, no matter what that truth turns out to be.  If he is guilty, so be it.  Again, RT did the best thing they could in this scenario.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33753801 - 6 days ago

In reply to bestpun

They are a small company, even if they weren't they would still have to ask "is this employee worth risking the company over?" They are a business first, and he's just a VA, he isn't so important to risk all their content over

• bestpun

bestpun FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33753805 - 6 days ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

In reply to bestpun

They are a small company, even if they weren't they would still have to ask "is this employee worth risking the company over?" They are a business first, and he's just a VA, he isn't so important to risk all their content over

What risk? I doubt many people will remember this even one year in the future. People will get over it. Many people watching RWBY don't even know the voice actors or care what they do.

Who cares what some people on Twitter think? This is not the fanbase you want to cater to. Worst case would be a boycott action against RT but realistically, these are not the people paying for FIRST anyway. Whatever, you can not be loved by everyone.

They probably loose way more money out of people that are sad about Vic being fired. Plus the ones that stick around would become extremely loyal to RT.

So are they going to fire everyone that gets accused by some people on the internet? If I am a competitor and RT has some successful employee, do I only need to start some rumour on Twitter to get him fired?

Yeah businesses only care about the short time and try the easy way out but they are helping to create a climate that will hurt everyone.

By the way, even if Vic were guilty, it would still be WRONG to fire him. It is morally wrong to punish someone before the guilt has been proven.

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33753808 - 6 days ago

In reply to bestpun

By the way, even if Vic were guilty, it would still be WRONG to fire him. It is morally wrong to punish someone before the guilt has been proven.

You have obviously never worked at a company with a HR department.

• bestpun

#33753809 - 6 days ago

In reply to VoshTheStampede

Thank god I don't live in the US but in a country with strong unions and works councils where you can not simply fire people for no reason.

You people need to stop accepting this horrible treatment for employees.

• MichaelHalpe

MichaelHalpe FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33753815 - 6 days ago

In reply to bestpun

Thank god I don't live in the US but in a country with strong unions and works councils where you can not simply fire people for no reason.

You people need to stop accepting this horrible treatment for employees.

This would happen regardless of unions or what not, and it isn't for no reason. RT's product is media, that means they are heavily reliant on PR, Vic represented a huge liability to public relations, if he isn't guilty, it will hurt the company a little, but if he was and they kept him, it would destroy the company, same if the investigations were to last a long time. 

• MichaelHalpe

#33753817 - 6 days ago

In reply to bestpun

As for the risk the risk is if this gets too big and someone conflates it to "Internet media company supports sexual harassment" by firing Vic they prevent that headline from being directed at them

• VoshTheStampede

VoshTheStampede FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33753821 - 6 days ago

In reply to bestpun

While voice actors should unionize, that is a different problem that is unrelated to this. What I'm talking about is that HR's purpose is to make sure that employees are able to perform to the best of their ability. They do this through a variety of ways: they supervise the training programs, they make sure people get paid, and most importantly they make sure company policies are followed. This includes policies regarding sexual harassment. It may vary from company to company, but most companies follow this procedure when it comes to sexual harassment (based on how my place of employment operates): 

1. A claim or allegation of sexual harassment is made to HR.

2. HR conducts a confidential investigation into the accused behavior.

3. If sufficient evidence of misconduct or inappropriate behavior is found, punishment of the accused follows.

4. Punishment can be a variety of things, based on the severity of misconduct, from merely a vocal reprimand to removal from a project or department, to dismissal. 

5. If the investigation finds no evidence of misconduct, the matter is dropped and no one is punished (though if one single person makes multiple accusations that lead nowhere, they may face repercussions, because now they are the ones harassing employees). 

It is by no means a perfect system, but any HR department worth their salt will at least follow this procedure to some degree and not fire people willy-nilly. This is because HR's goal is to maintain employee productivity, which means making sure that disruptive and/or demoralizing behavior is punished or removed. If someone is being handsy and it's making your employees uncomfortable (even if they're not technically breaking any law) that impacts your company's productivity, and the best way to deal with that is to remove the problem. I'd bet money that RT conducted an investigation and found compelling evidence that there was validity to the claims (they did not share this with us because as I mentioned earlier, these investigations are confidential). But because Vic is a contractor and not their employee, the only real punishment they could give was "removal from project", which they did by not renewing his contract. And even though RT didn't outright say they conducted an investigation, we do know that Funimation did. And they too found grounds for dismissal. 

Also keep in mind that there is a difference between being fired and being arrested. You do not need to be a convicted criminal to be fired. Inappropriate or disruptive behavior in the workplace can be enough. And if you really want to talk about unlawful firing, you should talk to the 800 or so poor souls that Activision-Blizzard laid off for pretty much no reason.

• Thrythlind

Thrythlind FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33753823 - 6 days ago

I believe the women.

The public does not have the right to evidence in this case.

This is not a court of law.

If charges are filed and a public trial is held, evidence becomes public.

Until then, the only people that have a right to see it are the accused, the accuser, and the companies.

• bestpun

#33753825 - 6 days ago

In reply to MichaelHalpe

This would happen regardless of unions or what not, and it isn't for no reason. RT's product is media, that means they are heavily reliant on PR, Vic represented a huge liability to public relations, if he isn't guilty, it will hurt the company a little, but if he was and they kept him, it would destroy the company, same if the investigations were to last a long time.

Why would it destroy the company?

They could be blamed for it only if they knew or had a reasonable way of knowing that he was guilty. If that were the case, well we would not need to debate further, they would deserve all the hate they would get.

It is safe to assume they did not know and in this case they can NOT be blamed. So nothing to fear.

I don't understand why your are catastrophizing this stuff so much. It is just stuff people write on the internet. It is not like some big power pulled the trigger on RT and forced them to act like they did. Even a scary title like "Internet media company supports sexual harassment" does not magically delete the bank account of RT.

You are always taking risks as a "media company". I mean they have a gender fluid character on gen:Lock. Sure that pissed some people off and made them loose viewers (It pains me to write this in 2019 *sigh*). You can no be loved by everyone, you have to take risks.

• VoshTheStampede

#33753827 - 6 days ago

In reply to bestpun

There is a rather stark difference between representation of a historically under-represented minority in your major media property and defending someone with multiple harassment claims over many years. 

• bestpun

#33753828 - 6 days ago

In reply to Thrythlind

I believe the women.

The public does not have the right to evidence in this case.

This is not a court of law.

If charges are filed and a public trial is held, evidence becomes public.

Until then, the only people that have a right to see it are the accused, the accuser, and the companies.

How dare you to assume their gender? 

There could be people that don't identify as women on the list of people accusing him. Also you are reproducing a sexist worldview that sees "women" as victims and "men" as attackers.

It does not matter who random people in the internet believe. The important part is that people that come forward with such charges are being taken seriously and the charges are to be investigated. Should go without saying that they are not to be attacked. 

Agree with the rest. Also as long as the public trial has not been held, the accused is to be treated as innocent.

It is by no means a perfect system, but any HR department worth their salt will at least follow this procedure to some degree and not fire people willy-nilly. This is because HR's goal is to maintain employee productivity, which means making sure that disruptive and/or demoralizing behavior is punished or removed. If someone is being handsy and it's making your employees uncomfortable (even if they're not technically breaking any law) that impacts your company's productivity, and the best way to deal with that is to remove the problem. I'd bet money that RT conducted an investigation and found compelling evidence that there was validity to the claims (they did not share this with us because as I mentioned earlier, these investigations are confidential). But because Vic is a contractor and not their employee, the only real punishment they could give was "removal from project", which they did by not renewing his contract. And even though RT didn't outright say they conducted an investigation, we do know that Funimation did. And they too found grounds for dismissal.

Voice actors don't work very closely together. They are typically recording ALONE with the director and don't interact with the other voice actors. You can have scenes with people you have never personally met in your life. So a pattern of sexual assault in the workplace seems kind of unlikely to me. I mean sure if they did find such a pattern, they did right to fire him but why did they only find out now? He is already working for some years. Unlikely he just suddenly went mad.

• VoshTheStampede

#33753830 - 6 days ago

In reply to bestpun

Actually VAs do interact with regularity, it's just not always when recording (things like table reads). VAs also interact with non-VA employees too, such as casting directors, sound technicians, and voice directors. And then there are all the conventions, where they interact with VAs, fans, and Convention staff. There's plenty of opportunity for contact.

And as for why now, it does have a lot to do with the #MeToo movement. This kind of behavior had a long history of being swept under the rug, especially when the power gap between the accuser and accused was large (like famous person and fan). People had a tendency to look the other way or brush it off ("That's just Vic being Vic"). But now the #MeToo prevents employers from looking the other way, and they have to take accusations seriously thanks to increasing social pressure. 

Another thing to keep in mind regarding the "why now?" question is that if you listen to the podcasts, RT has a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt. They're very aware of how quickly false information and accusations can spread like wildfire, because they've had such levied at themselves. They were probably aware of the controversy when they brought Vic on in the first place, but they were willing to give him a chance because they know how internet folks exaggerate. But as accusations continued to mount, they found themselves forced to earnestly look into their validity, and it seems they didn't like what they found. 

• Leonthekillr

Leonthekillr

#33753831 - 6 days ago

So foolish for anyone to believe people without evidence, especially with all the proof against them and that shows that many of the people are those that just have it against Vic or easily thinks a simple hug or kiss to the cheek is so bad despite them having the ability to say no to them, which shows their either completely stupid or just plain lying. People do deserve evidence if they want to be believed, especially since most have already been proven to be false and so easily uncredible, because it just keeps making more and more not believe them in the slightest, thus why most people seem to stand with Vic instead of the accusers.

Don’t believe men, don’t believe women, hell don’t even believe a divine being if they can’t provide any evidence otherwise you are part of the problem in regards to the false accusations issue that’s been going on for the past few years, which has made a second Salem Witch trails begin, it’s innocent until proven guilty not the other way around yet some people these days seem to forget this.

Here’s the reactions between the accusers and Vic, that should really make you question...who’s the actual monster here?

Vic: https://mobile.twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1095899612462895104?s=19

Accusers: https://archive.fo/8RiAq/ff72730fe9b59278bf8e654804a598073d02e6e5.jpg

Not to mention that there’s recently been an accusation against another VA but it’s been swept under the rug even though the person actually has provided legit evidence that it happened unlike those accusing Vic.

• VoshTheStampede

#33753834 - 6 days ago

In reply to Leonthekillr

Everyone really needs to stop assuming that the twitter accusations are the only testimonies being examined. The accusations RT and Funimation looked into are likely the ones that weren't made on twitter, but were accounts acquired confidentially in-house so that the identities of the accusers wouldn't be exposed to the level of vitriol that has been firing back and forth between the public accusers and Vic's fans. 

And before you ask, the answer is "no, we the audience are not entitled to the content of those testimonies or investigations, that is what 'confidential' means."

• MichaelHalpe

#33753837 - 6 days ago

In reply to bestpun

In reply to MichaelHalpe

Why would it destroy the company?

They could be blamed for it only if they knew or had a reasonable way of knowing that he was guilty. If that were the case, well we would not need to debate further, they would deserve all the hate they would get.

It is safe to assume they did not know and in this case they can NOT be blamed. So nothing to fear.

I don't understand why your are catastrophizing this stuff so much. It is just stuff people write on the internet. It is not like some big power pulled the trigger on RT and forced them to act like they did. Even a scary title like "Internet media company supports sexual harassment" does not magically delete the bank account of RT.

You are always taking risks as a "media company". I mean they have a gender fluid character on gen:Lock. Sure that pissed some people off and made them loose viewers (It pains me to write this in 2019 *sigh*). You can no be loved by everyone, you have to take risks.

Because a media company like RT is built on their public image, being accused of supporting someone with claims of sexual harassment is a good way to destroy that image, not everyone watches their content and this would be claimed to reflect their actual internal culture, avoiding that kind of scandal is something that they have to do at all costs.

• Leonthekillr

Leonthekillr

#33753838 - 6 days ago

Oh I know, but simply looking at the ones we know that are being proven false, it’s making it hard to believe any others, and I’m still open to the possibility for Vic to be guilty so I’m waiting for things to be taken to court, which it is, to see if they are able to actually provide credible evidence, but until then I stand with Vic and against the accusers we know of. Especially the ones that are acting so badly like Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi and more, and those that provide proven false evidence.

• VoshTheStampede

#33753839 - 6 days ago

In reply to Leonthekillr

What happens in court happens in court, but I will say this: I very much doubt that Funimation would drop one of its most profitable and well-known voice actors without having enough evidence to legally protect their decision. 

• Leonthekillr

Leonthekillr

#33753840 - 6 days ago

I believe otherwise, as he’s damaged goods sadly now wethers he’s proven innocent or guilty, so best to get rid of him either way, and the fact they keep people like Monica and Jamie around despite their utterly toxic behavior, as well as no word on another VA that has accustions against them with one accuser providing evidence that hasn’t been proven false, at least not yet...certainly makes me doubt them at the moment.

• VoshTheStampede

#33753848 - 6 days ago

In reply to Leonthekillr

Considering the toxic behavior on both sides, I feel ad hominems do us little service here. So instead I'll leave with this: Having read his response to the controversy, I believe that IF (I'm coming back and adding emphasis because it is a big "if") Vic's response is genuine and his commitment to self-improvement and counseling is real, then good. I will never object to someone trying to better themselves or putting conscious effort into correcting bad behavior. I think it would be great if in a couple of years we see Vic Mignogna 2.0, anime's new favorite redemption story. But the thing is, we're gonna have to wait and see. Winning back public trust is difficult, but not impossible. If he can walk the walk as well as talk the talk, then maybe he'll find work again. And maybe he might serve as an example to others who have problems with boundaries when it comes to fan interaction, who knows. As to this other VA that you haven't named, perhaps they have or will receive their their day in the court of public opinion once the Mignogna noise has died down. And if not, and you think the accusation is credible, maybe you can be the one to signal boost it?

• Bumblebee4life

Bumblebee4life

#33753870 - 5 days ago

Here’s my two cents: Their is a very real possibility that Vic is guilty of what he’s being accused of. But their are too many holes in the allegations which I cannot ignore. First you have the baseless claims of homophobia and anti semitism which were widely blown out of proportion. If they are telling the truth about the harassment then why lie about this. Then you have the fact that in the photos that ANN used, the women in the pictures came out and said the situation was consensual. Then you have the leaked group chat where several individuals decided to edit images of Vic to look more creepy. You also have the reactions of the kickvic people to the istandwithvic people. Calling them Nazis, threatening lawsuits, trying to get them banned. These actions in my opinion further cat doubt on the claims. It could be that Vic is guilty and these are just a few bad actors but I have a suspicion that this isn;t the case.