Forums > RWBY

Writing out the Horns: how would you handle Adam's backstory?

Posts (15)

• RedtheEdge

RedtheEdge FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33754706 - 2 months ago

Recently, I watched through volume 6 with a friend to catch them up on the series. In short, they were not a fan of this volume. They were not a fan of how they handled Adam as well as a lot of people. It lead to a short discussion and it led to this question: how would you handled Adam's story? As a writer, I found this interesting, and began to explore that very question. I would like to share it with you all. Know that this is just how I would have handled Adam's backstory. I'm not saying it is the best way, but I would make Adam apathetic toward the world.

In the kingdom of Atlas, wealthy families reigned over certain aspects. For example the Schnee family and their dust company. I am also guessing that there is a family that leads research into robotics that created Penny.

The family we are focusing on is the Frost family, and their field of expertise was medical. Many breakthroughs were made by this family. They had a facility where they performed experiments, and many Human and Faunus volunteered to aid them. Things were going well.

However, look below the surface and you will find where they perform all the dangerous experiments that could be life threatening and only Faunus were down in here. However, test subjects were dying and were running short. They couldn't just pluck up Faunus randomly or rapidly due to the attention will attract. So, they began to grow Faunus children using sperm and eggs from Faunus siblings. They did this to create perfect test subjects for their weaken genetics from inbreeding were create 'problems' for them to cure, and with no risk to Human subjects. Adam was one of these children.

Adam was the only child born of this without any problems for them to look into. So, they used him for their amusement by putting him through painful tests all to see his reaction and emotion. It was around the age of six when the brand was put on his face. In the end, the number of children born this way were numbered in the thirties. Only four survived. Adam lost all his emotions for humans during those years of torture, and became apathetic towards all of humanity.

Adam grows, learns to fight, and joins the White Fang. Only ever showing emotion when he is with only his own kind, and when facing humans, all emotion evaporates. For awhile this was the case, but then Blake left him on the train in the Black trailer. Instead of shouting to the heavens in anguish, cursing Blake's name in anger, or crying rivers of sorrow...he questions why she had done it and began to wonder if others would do the same. This is when his feelings toward the Faunus begin to disappear.

Becoming apathetic makes him more dangerous too due to his lack of emotion and how much focused he will be. So now I will ask all who read this: how would you handle Adam's backstory?

• CarryOn88

CarryOn88

#33754711 - 2 months ago

Hmm I would went with an angle of  poor Faunus family that were in slave-like Labour for the SDC. At some point his parents died from overworking/accident/sickness from horrible conditions. 

After that Adam went with his rebelious movement but one of the employees of the SDC decided to make and example out of his and did the brand on his face that fully pushed him into the WF embrace.

I would slowly show his descent into violence as at the start Adam wasn't that vicious of brutal but the constant fights made him like that.

Oh and I would tottaly drop the whole romance with Blake thing 

• RedtheEdge

RedtheEdge FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33754724 - 2 months ago

In reply to CarryOn88 Nice idea.

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33754731 - 2 months ago

I recommend Adel rewrite and the comic based on it.

To me, it's a very simple backstory and his character based on black trailer and what's left of it in Vol 1-3 minus his sudden change to Gaston.

Let's just say his backstory is a mixed between the actual conflict in French Indochina War, and some good anime inspiration like Rurouni Kenshin and Fist Of The Blue Sky ish. With Vergil, Makoto Shishio or Aoshi, and Rei, Souther added

• RedtheEdge

#33754745 - 2 months ago

In reply to HokutoYangSoup Interesting

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33754803 - 2 months ago

In reply to RedtheEdge

Discussion aside. What can actually do besides going to RTX or any anime convention that has CRWBY discussion and spam them with questions. Can we make something before everyone moves on to Volume 7?

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33754804 - 2 months ago

In reply to CarryOn88

Were you inspired by Adel rewrite and the comic based on it?

Regardless, you got some interesting take on Adam's backstory. I feel the character short itself is a complete throwaway. I feel this similar trend will affect many other characters in the long run.

• RedtheEdge

#33754904 - 2 months ago

In reply to HokutoYangSoup I am worried about that as well.  As to your question in the previous post, I am not sure.  Making anything takes time, but we could at the very least try if you have something in mind.

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33754937 - 2 months ago

In reply to RedtheEdge

I do have one

Realistically, I want to retcon volume 5 and 6 finale regarding Adam and make it as close to Monty's incarnation in pixel animation. The fight in vol 6 will still have Adam dies except he kills himself to maintain his honor over being defeated by a pretentious woman that is Blake.

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33754938 - 2 months ago

also I decided to avoid using vol 5 outfit cause the way they wrote him is almost copy and paste from DmC Vergil except 10x edgy and pathetic

• RedtheEdge

#33754960 - 2 months ago

In reply to HokutoYangSoup I see.  Not a bad idea.  What can I do to help?

• RedtheEdge

#33754961 - 2 months ago

Just know that I have no experience when it comes to animating anything.  My main skills dwell in the realm of writing.

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33755001 - 2 months ago

In reply to RedtheEdge

Just know that I have no experience when it comes to animating anything.  My main skills dwell in the realm of writing.

In reply to RedtheEdge

In reply to HokutoYangSoup I see.  Not a bad idea.  What can I do to help? 

Simply gathering all good and bad points about Adam character. Including Miles and Kerry thoughts on him in one of the rtx or convention vids.
    next, make a rough draft regarding how vol 5 and 6 should be fixed without convoluted and pretentious pay off. make it as simple as any fighting game or hack and slash game plot you can think of. After all, rwby is poor with storytelling and character consistency (development and post Monty at least) to begin with thanks to self insert and writers constant forgetfulness (as though they have a case of early Alzheimer, ADHD or whatever)

• RedtheEdge

#33755013 - 2 months ago

I see.  I will have a draft for you by the end of March.

• HokutoYangSoup

HokutoYangSoup

#33755054 - 2 months ago

In reply to RedtheEdge

Awesome. It's okay if you have faults. Same for me as I most likely have flaws here and there despite my ideas. 

Also it's fine if you want to write some scribbles and post it just to get it out of your head.

Like this one for example:

Vol 6 fight

Yang: You're just pretending!

Adam: That's rich, coming from you. It's not my first time hearing your girlfriend saying it to you..Blake: ...

Episode 10 retcon

Blake: you need to let go of the past, Adam.

Adam: You think this is about love?! The comrades, YOU and I fought alongside with, has been captured executed in public.

Blake: That is because it's your undoing!

Adam: Like you know better. You have no idea of what it takes to keep moving forward