Forums > RWBY

Incorporating dust into Semblances

Posts (5)

• jj41

jj41 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758738 - 1 month ago

Does anybody else think this is very underused in the show? Aside from Weiss the only other character we've seen use dust with their semblance was Blake in volume 2. We saw how Blake mopped the floor with Roman when she did. I feel like this hasn't been explored that well into how it could incorporate into all the different semblances or how it could really change a battle around. I know there will be some semblances where dust just can't be worked into it. Qrow is a prime example of this. We've seen Nora absorb electric dust from Ruby's crescent rose, I'm surprised she just doesn't keep a lot of electric dust on her to absorb in a pinch to turn a battle around. For example I could see Ruby using fire dust with her rose petal burst to turn into flaming rose petals. Now instead of just evading she could actually attack and plow into the enemy. I just feel like aside from Weiss it's just been forgotten for everybody else. It feels 'off' to me. Especially since Blake hasn't did it since volume 2. I'm curious what everybody else's thoughts are on this.

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33758739 - 1 month ago

In reply to jj41

Dust is extremely powerful and volatile, so it's not surprising most people wouldn't try to incorporate it that closely. Note that Nora doesn't try do directly channel Lightning Dust the way Hazel did, just absorbs the lighting it produces. Weiss manipulates it but doesn't directly handle large quantities, and plus she only seems to use powdered Dust in her weapon, which is presumably the least potent variety. Plus while Dust is a commodity it seems to be a valuable one, so incorporating large quantities into one's fighting style is probably expensive. Also Blake used some Dust during the fight at her house in V5 as I recall. Keep in mind that the one time we saw someone directly channel Dust he went absolutely berserk, and it was noted that his pain numbing Semblance and massive Aura pool were the only reasons he was able to survive the process.

• jj41

jj41 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33758740 - 1 month ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

Yes, it is true that Blake did use dust in volume 5. But it was the same way that Ruby used dust in volume 4, as basic ammunition for her weapon. We saw in volume 2 that even as bullet cartridges (I'm assuming it was basic bullet cartridges as Blake loaded it into her gun after Weiss gave her the clip) you can pull the dust into their semblance. In volume 2 we saw Blake make a fire clone with fire dust, a rock clone with earth dust and an ice clone with ice dust. and 2 other forms which I'm not sure what they were. I'm assuming the last one might have been hard light dust since it was more of a type of localized energy but it was black instead of white so I'm not sure. I was anticipating seeing more of that in volume 3 but we haven't seen that happen since.

• Ace-of-Rogues

Ace-of-Rogues FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Main Weapon: Rapier Wit

#33758746 - 1 month ago

In reply to jj41

I thought she used a clone to catch one of the brothers' daggers during the fight at her house, but I could be wrong.

• jj41

#33758761 - 1 month ago

In reply to Ace-of-Rogues

Actually, you are correct. She did use an ice clone to catch their daggers. I completely forgot about that scene. Maybe because I thought that scene was very oddly paced. I think this confirms though that the dust she used was in the clip of her weapon, so the powder dust wouldn't be necessary. I'm just thinking that if more of the characters employed dust in their semblances the battles could become more creative as it basically adds a sort of trump card to their arsenal. Does adding dust to your semblance burn through your aura faster? They also have to make a conscious decision on whether to use their dust as basic ammunition or use it in their semblance. I'm just wondering why no other character in the show seems to have explored this. I don't count Hazel in this because his semblance is blocking out pain. He just injects dust straight into his body. He's not adding it to his semblance.