Forums > Screen Play

MBC - Community recommendations

Posts (91)

• kettelino

kettelino FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Netflix Enthusiast

#17104681 - 4 years ago

I thought it would be a cool idea if the Screenplay Cast/JJ would choose some movie recommendations by the community every once in a while. (:
    We're just going to post movies that we really like or that we think are really interesting.
    Maybe they're some good recommendations that could be worthy for the MBC.

My recommendation would be "Lucky # Slevin" (Drama, 2006). It's a really good movie and I'd say it's discussible, too. I don't want to say too much about it. (:

I hope this is a good idea and that others like it, too! :D

Post edited 10/11/14 2:10PM

• Startrotters

Startrotters Groove Crusader

#17104739 - 4 years ago

I really love your idea!

I wish I could tell people to watch just a bunch of indie films from 2011. 3 of my top favorite films are actually from this year, which is pretty odd. But yeah, I'd recommend Attack the Block, Another Earth, and Bellflower. All could form a lovely discussion amongst friends.

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17104797 - 4 years ago

I like this idea. The tough thing about picking MBC of the week is that generally the movie should be easily accessible (Netflix or whatever).

With that being said. Since Galaxy Quest just got added to Netflix, that's going to be my suggestion. It's been a while since I've seen it.

• NoOneEver

NoOneEver

#17106262 - 4 years ago

Is streaming from Netflix or Amazon a requirement? Does it have to be Amazon Prime for streaming?

• kettelino

kettelino FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Netflix Enthusiast

#17106474 - 4 years ago

In reply to Introverdict, #4:

I don't think that JJ's going to choose a movie that isn't easily accessible. I don't really know if my movie recommendation is available on streaming services because they're pretty new in my country and don't have too much variety (netflix started two weeks ago in Germany).

I'd say just post the movie title. Chances are that it's not going to be selected other than that you have nothing to loose. :)

• NorwegianNR1

NorwegianNR1 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17114498 - 4 years ago

My suggestion is both dead snow movies by Tommy Wirkola, the first one will be the hardest for the American audience seeing as it is all in Norwegian (thankfully subtitled) though the splatter humor should be universal. Both movies fits with the theme of the month.

PS! Get ready for tons of laughter as they are splatter horror(?) comedies!!. smiley0.gif

• Ed_Radley

Ed_Radley FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Aye Aye Cap'n

#17115390 - 4 years ago

My recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen it is the Boondock Saints. It's a very interesting movie full of action and swearing with some very thought provoking moral dilemmas to tie it all together. If you want you can also watch the sequel, but in my opinion the first one was better.

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17115501 - 4 years ago

In reply to Kettelino, #5:

yeah just name whatever!

Post edited 10/15/14 1:10PM

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17115516 - 4 years ago

In reply to JJ, #9:

What about Gigli?

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17115533 - 4 years ago

In reply to tardweasel, #10:

arigoldgtfo.gif

• SilverKM03

SilverKM03

#17116581 - 4 years ago

What's wrong with Gigli? It's funny as shit.

But as a BTTF fan, I'm going to have to recommend Intertate 60. It's on Hulu... for free... if you don't mind commercials.

• Sniper4443

Sniper4443

#17116919 - 4 years ago

In lieu of them talking about indie directors who make their way into the mainstream, I really like Brick by Rian Johnson (Who went on to make Looper, and direct some of the most famous breaking bad episodes, The fly & Ozymandias) and starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The dialogue is heavily inspired by hard-boiled detective novels like Dashiell Hammett and juxtaposes nicely, sometimes comically, with the setting of a high school. If ya dig detective movies check it out, really cool flick!

Post edited 10/15/14 9:20PM

• Startrotters

Startrotters Groove Crusader

#17117015 - 4 years ago

In reply to Mettakite, #13:

Brick is my fucking jam!

• Clatchley

Clatchley

#17117258 - 4 years ago

Boogie Nights, Goodfellas, and Short Cuts would all be cool.

• JJ

#17118698 - 4 years ago

In reply to Cokesy, #14:

i also like BRICK and THE BROTHERS BLOOM, LOOPER and pretty much all things Rian Johnson....i interviewed Noah Segan at a festival recently (he plays the punk rock dude from BRICK, he's also in LOOPER as Kid Blue) just in case we ever played one of those movies

• Morgsy

Morgsy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17122387 - 4 years ago

Combining horror with comedy with musicals, my recommendations are ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, REPO: THE GENETIC OPERA, SWEENEY TODD and NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, though Nightmare is really more a Christmas movie I guess. I don't know, I just always seem to end up watching a lot of musicals, as well as horror movies around Halloween.

• Church251

Church251 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17122443 - 4 years ago

In reply to TheOakLady, #17:

If we're going horror/comedy musicals then I definitely have to suggest LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.

• KieferS

KieferS

#17122493 - 4 years ago

I think the movie Four Lions would be an interesting one because of how morbid the subject of the movie is and how dark the humour is. Or maybe a movie like Juice. Would be nice smiley0.gif

• Morgsy

Morgsy FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17122607 - 4 years ago

In reply to Church251, #18:

Oooh, that's a good one, I forgot about LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. I haven't watched it in quite a while, I might have to look out a copy of it soon.

• Church251

Church251 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17122665 - 4 years ago

This post has been deleted by a moderator.

• CowboyBebop

CowboyBebop

#17122914 - 4 years ago

They absolutely need to watch Thankskilling for November. I believe its still on Netflix.

• JJ

#17127463 - 4 years ago

In reply to CowboyBebop, #22:

hahaha ive seen the first 5 mins of that film

• jpack

jpack FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17132670 - 4 years ago

I also agree with the recommendations for Brick, its cool movie I really like the film-noir tone of the film.
    looking at whats on netflix i have a bunch, some of my suggestions are.

The Usual Suspects - crime movie told from on character's perspective
    Amelie - French film about a impish girl... idk I have a soft spot for this film
    The Fifth Element - Awesome 90's Sci-Fi with Bruce Willis its classic in my book
    In Bruges - Irish accents, Colin Farrell, drug use and bad words
    Gladitor - Russell Crowe being a bro in a really bro movie but I love it "shadows and dust Maximus!"
    Mud - Resent movie, I think it gives a interesting albeit it dramatic picture of living in the rural south
    Old Boy - The Korean version please. Motel room badass and Claw hammer fight scene need a I say more.
    12 angry men - Black and white film adapted from a TV screenplay. Great story about a hung jury and it has some tremendous performances.
    Reservoir dogs - Tarantino's first big film. A heist with out the heist. A lot of memorable scenes.
    El Mariachie - Robert Rodriguez's first film made for $7000 in Spanish.
    Any of the Sergio Lone westerns i'm partial to a fist full of dollars.

• khurram_89

#17132763 - 4 years ago

In reply to falchion, #24:

I totally forgot about In Bruges and how much I love that movie. Also, I just saw Mud the other day and although I wanted to like it, I just didn't. I couldn't connect with it for some reason. Matthew Mcconaughey really knocked it out of the park though.

• hydra38811

hydra38811

#17161216 - 4 years ago

In reply to falchion, #24:

I just rewatched The Fifth Element for the hundredth time (Just popped up on Amazon Prime Instant Video) and definitely recommend it for watching. It holds up real well for an almost twenty year old movie.