Forums > Screen Play

MBC#14 SHORT TERM 12

Posts (23)

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17167392 - 4 years ago

short-term-12-poster.jpg

• Natalie

Natalie FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17167452 - 4 years ago

Just watched this one a few weeks ago. It was so raw and yet, completely composed at the same time. Really well done.

• testingweebl

testingweebl FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17167603 - 4 years ago

I fucking loved this movie...I would love to discuss it with anybody who wants to
    smiley0.gif

• HipsterHanna

HipsterHanna Darth Hanna

#17167844 - 4 years ago

This movie blew my mind, it was so fantastic.

• Ryne9

Ryne9

#17168107 - 4 years ago

Wow!!! I haven't been this blown away by a movie in a while. I cried four times. I wasn't expecting ANYTHING out of this movie. If anyone wants to discuss it, just message me! I'd love to talk about it. We'll skype or something!

• HipsterHanna

HipsterHanna Darth Hanna

#17168215 - 4 years ago

In reply to Ryne9, #6:

I also cried 4 times.

• testingweebl

testingweebl FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17168561 - 4 years ago

In reply to Ryne9, #6:

I was on the brink of tears, but did not cry...but that still says a lot. It takes a lot for me to cry during a movie and this one hit me like a bus

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17169565 - 4 years ago

In reply to HipsterHanna, #7:

In reply to testingweebl, #8:

In reply to Ryne9, #6:

a few scenes that got me choked up....the scene when marcus raps, the scene when mason gives the speech to his adoptive parents, when grace sees her ultrasound for the first time.

• testingweebl

#17169620 - 4 years ago

In reply to JJ, #9:

Also the scene when Marcus is sitting with glass in his hand outside Luis's room was a heavy hitter as well. What i also love about this movie is that even though the movie gets really really dark (Grace standing above Jayden's dad with a BASEBALL BAT) there are moments of lightness and humor like when Jayden actually put medical pictures of penises on her wall. I feel like those scenes are important because it really shows that even though these kids lives are not the best, it is their lives and its not all bad. It could be a lot worse. I think that is one of the hidden messages in the movie along with many others. I cant wait to watch it again and find more meaning to this film...what do you guys think?

• JJ

#17169649 - 4 years ago

In reply to testingweebl, #10:

agreed

• testingweebl

#17169801 - 4 years ago

In reply to JJ, #11:

JJ, I am very curious on how you decide/find these movies for the moviebookclub of the week? As i said all of your decisions so far have been really awesome since most of them (not including Cabin in the Woods, or Clerks) I had not seen these movies before.

• JJ

#17169862 - 4 years ago

In reply to testingweebl, #12:

i watch a lot of movies, i try to go to as many film festivals as I'm able to, I have a lot of film geek friends that all i do is talk about movies with...new movies, old movies, indie movies, big movies. Also I read more books about movies than I do actual fiction books. So a lot of factors are in what i pick. i try to to pick movies that are easily accessible (ie online or on a streaming service) and films that I really like. If it's a really good film that I know most people aren't aware of, then I try to pick that, because it shows the audience a really good film they didn't know about and this really awesome movie that someone put a lot of work into gets a big boost, so it's a win win. i also like to pick classics, like cinema paradiso, and trainspotting, etc etc.

• testingweebl

#17169927 - 4 years ago

In reply to JJ, #13:

Thats a interesting process that you have. I am also a giant film nerd...along with many others that watch screenplay as well. I am also attending film school. I would love to talk to you more about what you do at Rooster Teeth and how you got started. i know this might not be the forum to do that...is there another place where we can discuss that possibly if you could?

• JJ

#17169946 - 4 years ago

In reply to testingweebl, #14:

roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=3063067

• BassedMio

BassedMio

#17171824 - 4 years ago

Overall I liked it. The pacing was good but I also felt like it was a really small sort of snapshot of life there, like it didn't span much time. I would have liked to see more.

• Startrotters

Startrotters Groove Crusader

#17172621 - 4 years ago

Although I am head over heels about Pacific Rim, this was by far my absolute favorite movie of 2013. I watched this 3 times in the theater I worked at(even more when it was on Netflix), and recommended it to every customer I interacted with. I grew up in a rough and dangerous neighborhood, and knew kids just like this. This movie broke my heart and made it soar at the same time. It is such a deeply emotional movie for me, I am so happy to see that other people enjoyed this as much as I have.

• Greenninja7

Greenninja7 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17182617 - 4 years ago

YES! THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE INDIE FILMS EVER!

• Nat_Schilling

Nat_Schilling FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nate

#17184688 - 4 years ago

This shit was amazing!!!!!! So intense yet so inspiring. You never realise how much shit some kids go through in their life. Truly remarkable movie!

• jonsmiff

jonsmiff FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17195872 - 4 years ago

I have only seen Destin's short film of the same title. Has anyone seen both? I wonder if there are any lines that carried over...

That whole group of creatives in San Diego are some chill dudes that met at PLNU. The composer for ST12 and I Am Not A Hipster did a series of live shows out in the woods that people had to hike to.

• beautifulmidnight

beautifulmidnight FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17198543 - 4 years ago

I'm so late on this, but thank you for picking a movie like this. I saw it last year and it was easily in my top five. The acting is so, so great. (It kills me that the younger girl in it whose name escapes me is on that godawful Tim Allen sitcom week after week. She's so talented.)

Brie Larson needs so many more roles. There were times she was one of the two only good things about United States of Tara.

• Greenninja7

Greenninja7 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17206018 - 4 years ago

Jonsmiff, I have seen both. Some parts and events did carry over. The movie expanded on story, but the gender of the main character changing was the biggest alteration between the two.

• HurricaneH

HurricaneH

#17208802 - 4 years ago

I was sold on this film by my podcasting partner, and I really enjoyed it. I have worked with children with Autism (still with the company, but different role now) and I really loved seeing a depiction of people with disabilities that wasn't your typical rendition of "He's troubled but has a big heart". Plus the acting was solid, the pacing was great (I loved that it took the time to slow down and let you take in everything rather than jumping from one scene to the next like so many bigger films do to keep you engaged) and I've always enjoyed films that don't try and wrap up EVERYTHING in a neat little bow. Just beautiful.

• datatypel

datatypel

#17219175 - 4 years ago

I liked this film, in my overly egotistic opinion most movies like this become to heavy and begin to drag. This movie did not do that, it weighed in on the moment took a beat and then moved. it was shot a little simplistically. but thats my only real complaint.