Forums > Screen Play

Does anyone else think Screen Play is...

Posts (24)

• Webbstre

Webbstre FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17172207 - 4 years ago

This has been really bugging me for a while now, so I really want to know:

Is anyone else feeling like Screen Play is the most negative thing Rooster Teeth produces?

I was tempted to compare some sound bytes of RT Podcast and The Patch with Screen Play, but I just don't have the time. When it comes to games the "A Team" has always focused on the things they like and just ignored the things they don't like. They didn't do game reviews both because there are people who enjoy things the RT staff don't, and because there are people who worked hard on those games. There was a really good quote by Burnie on one of the podcasts a couple weeks ago repeated this basic principle.

Meanwhile, on Screen Play it feels like every other show they just tear into everything. Several weeks ago there was one about basically if someone liked Movie A then they should go watch Movie B because Movie A was terrible and was just trying to be Movie B. No, I don't remember the specifics. JJ stood out specifically this week when he said he can't wait for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie to go on sale so they can choose it for the Movie Book Club and just rag on it. Another one from this week was essentially "Let's go down the list of new shows and decide which ones have terrible names." What's the point of that?

I've loved pretty much everything Rooster Teeth has put out so far because of the style of humor and the attitude, but I'm not interested in a rants ripping into movies that someone on staff didn't like. I haven't seen TMNT specifically yet because it's not out in the country I live in, but if it's a crappy movie I can judge that for myself and would much rather hear some recommendations for good things to watch.

I'm still going to listen to RT Podcast and The Patch, but I'm still on the fence about Screen Play. I keep hoping it's going to go in the direction of the other two podcasts, but if it keeps up like this I'm just going to stop wasting my time on it. Before that happens I wanted someone over there to know why.

Post edited 11/06/14 7:53AM

• Triage

Triage FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17175907 - 4 years ago

I love the fact that they are critical of movies. This podcast isn't just a show about watching movies but also making them. Dissention and disagreement are important toward breaking down a movie and discovering what is so great, mediocre, or awful about it. I think this is the beauty of the movie book club. It is ok to not like a popular movie, because there is a combination of objectivity and subjectivity when you view it. The rotating cast also gives us the opportunity to see movies we may love or hate from a new perspective, prompting us the revisit them with fresh eyes.

I have watched RT videos for 10 years and this is the show I look forward to the most!

• kittypann

kittypann Red Hood

#17176198 - 4 years ago

In reply to SuprmEggplnt, #2:

I like what you said about the rotating cast, too. It means that it's a lot harder to predict reactions- and you get a range, too. Like what Arryn was saying about feeling very differently to the guys in regards to Short Term 12.

The thing is, there are a lot of bad films. There are a lot of films that are expected to be amazing but then aren't. If you're going to do a podcast that speaks about films, you're really going to limit yourself if you only pick films that you have only entirely positive things to speak about.
    I mean, I guess I understand where you're coming from, Webbstre, but I really don't see it as anything that bothers me.

• Webbstre

Webbstre FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17177475 - 4 years ago

I guess I just don't get what makes the public treatment of movies different from how the rest of the company publicly treats games. I'm sure there are plenty of games that people there hate playing, but it's been a rule of thumb that they try to stay on the positive side and just don't bother with the stuff they don't like.

• Ryne9

Ryne9

#17179675 - 4 years ago

In reply to Webbstre, #4:

They treat movies differently because Screen Play isn't a Let's Play or achievement guide or anything like how RT treats games.

It's strictly a podcast about movie news, movie talk, and the analysis of the MBC, so you delve into the world of opinion. It's entirely up to the cast's views and perspective. There's no objective tutorials to be shown, or an entertaining accident, just the raw movie and how you react to it. I mean, you can have a long conversation about the format they chose, some interesting/weird shots, some of the history of the film, the actors/actresses, and a lots of excess information that isn't really necessary for most films.

Plus, I don't think you can can really compare the two mediums. Movies are generally much shorter, so you can consume more and talk about more of them versus games. Games also have multiple modes and change when multiplayer is involved, so something bad can definitely be turned into a positive, entertaining experience. I, personally, feel like unless it's an incredibly substantial movie, there's usually a lot of good and bad to throw around. You can't jump into these easy distractions if there are legitimate glaring flaws in a movie. It's a more connected self-contained experience.

Even if they don't like a particular movie, there's still a reason for bringing it up. TMNT was brought up due to the whole Michael Bay news, but they didn't completely thrash it. They complimented the scenes with the turtles they just gave their opinion on Megan Fox's role in the movie.

Really, I think one of the great things is that we can have discussions about this. I'd love to see more threads of "JJ, I don't agree with you" and we have a real conversation beyond the show. I don't think it's negative at all, the MBC analysis was generally pretty positive. I think it has a good balance, they just need some feedback and participation.

Post edited 11/08/14 6:13PM

• hotrodtymn

hotrodtymn

#17188912 - 4 years ago

The thing I think they need to be more mindful and respectful of is the fact that they themselves are film makers. AH plays games and its known that they play for enjoyment. SP when it has Brandon and JJ comes off, at least to me, as film makers bashing other film makers. It feels like it's in bad taste to hate on people you don't know doing the same work as you.

I like listening to screen play because I feel like I have the same taste in movies as much of the RT crew, but I think what you're looking for and what I, as a film maker too, is a little more respect for other projects.

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17189045 - 4 years ago

In reply to Webbstre, #1:

I see where you're coming from, but I think you're mistaken about how Screen Play works. Burnie was specifically against gaming reviews and ratings, but Screen Play doesn't do that. Instead they have opinions on movies. If they had a podcast where no one can have an opinion on what movies they like or dislike, then having a podcast is pointless.

The best thing about Screen Play is that JJ is super proactive about it. If you have an opinion you can voice it here or on twitter and there's a good chance you'll get a reply, or at least be heard by JJ. (In fact, if you go to the bathroom and say @JJ 3 times in the mirror, he appears with a camera and hipster coffee that you've probably never heard of.) Not many other RT productions do that.

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17189543 - 4 years ago

i see where you are coming from but let me point out all the things you are skipping over....we are more interactive with our audience....we do things like the thumbnail contest so people can have something to do every episode...we announce a movie that everyone in the audience can watch, so they can discuss the points of the film and the audience can follow along. And one of my biggest wins was creating this forum so people could sound off and add oppinions/suggestions. I don't think any of that is NEGATIVE. It's true having a podcast without opinions would be a boring podcast. Also listening to someone who jsut agrees with everything you like would also be pretty boring. Case and point: this week half of us really liked snowpiercer while the other half didn't. I'm fine with that. They had fair points, we had fair points. And I've floor managed enough of the 2 other podcasts to know, not everything they say about movies or games is always positive. Also: every week we get tweets from the community saying hey i never would have watched ________ on my own but after SP suggested it, it is my fav movie...sure the next week they might be saying "this weeks movie was awful" but that's how it goes. You can't please everyone everytime. Like i said before, when you geek out with your friends about games or movies, the best moments are when you disagree and have to argue your point and generally "geek out" that's what we are doing...just having drinks and talking movies. My word is not law by any means. But I think it's a little unfair to say it's the most negative thing on RT.

Post edited 11/12/14 1:06PM

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17189602 - 4 years ago

also the reason I have a lot of grief about TMNT is because I'd been tracking it's progress for the last few years, reading early scripts etc that had been leaked online....in the original script April O'neal and Casey Jones were H.S. students that were dating eachother. (That script was awful) and then finding out Bay wanted to change them into Aliens and not Mutants, and then finding out that after they shot the movie with April O'Neil's dad turning into Shredder, and that didn't test well, so they re-shot a bunch of other stuff with this last minute forced into the storyline shredder. Anyway, knowing all these details before I saw the movie, i just saw it as this badly written/organized movie that they franksensteined together....structure wise you could tell it was re/chopped together etc. Anyway....it just seemed like a paint by numbers action movie/merchandise cash-in. TMNT and the most recent spiderman are really good examples of studios that don't get their audience, but think if they hit a certain amount of specific plot points and special fx battle scenes then they made a good movie. But we live in the world of "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" now which shows a movie can be a big tentpole summer film, with toys and cartoon tie ins, and still be a strong film, with a lot of heart, and style. Anyway, that is my approach to those type of films. I don't hate all blockbusters, I just hate it when they phone it in and are afraid to take chances.

Post edited 11/12/14 1:19PM

• SilverKM03

SilverKM03

#17189705 - 4 years ago

Several weeks ago there was one about basically if someone liked Movie A then they should go watch Movie B because Movie A was terrible and was just trying to be Movie B. No, I don't remember the specifics.

Movie A was Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Movie B was Cabin in the Woods. And I agree to an extent.

I don't mind that Miles disliked Tucker and Dale vs Evil. But I think Cabin in the Woods would have been a poor choice for the follow up MBC if they were so similar. They aren't.

I enjoy the disenting opinions. I know that Blaine and I don't share the same taste in film, JJ's meta picks are incredible, and Brandon & I tend to agree (so far). Adam is 50/50 for me.

I'd suggest finding out who tends to suggest films more akin to your tastes. The perceived negativity is a necessity for discussions such as these. Plan 9 from Outer Space, Troll 2, and Rocky Horror Picture Show have been said to be some of the worst movies ever made, but they have an audience.

• Webbstre

#17191628 - 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply JJ, and everyone else (glad to see a couple people agree with what I tried to say above). I do feel like one of my main points has been misinterpreted, so I'd just like to restate it: The difference I'm seeing is that where the other podcasts and achievement hunter mainly just ignore the things they don't like, or say something along the lines of "That's not something I was really into" rather than going out of their way to bash on things other people like. I know that sounds a bit vague, but with everything that gets mentioned on the RT podcast these days I can't just say "games" instead of "things."

The main reason I've stuck with Rooster Teeth for so long is the brand of humor and the positive spin they present. Rather than losing my interest by telling me what they wouldn't recommend (whether that's a game, movie, television show, or even food) I get to hear about a lot of interesting things I wouldn't otherwise encounter. When I'm listening to Screen Play and I'm basically being told what not to watch I just lose interest.

So basically, I'd rather see the podcast continue to introduce me to cool new things and not waste time complaining about things I didn't need to know existed in the first place.

• JJ

#17192092 - 4 years ago

In reply to Webbstre, #13:

So basically, I'd rather see the podcast continue to introduce me to cool new things and not waste time complaining about things I didn't need to know existed in the first place.

These things you didn't need to know in the first place....many people that actually love talking movies...they do. It's tough because we are in a split divide....should we only talk about marvel and DC stuff....and only talk about the walking dead and DR WHO....should we try to appease to the AH aged audience and only talk about TMNT and TRANSFORMERS or should we talk about indies and underground films too...from what I get from your input is...you like things light and fun....you'd prefer to listen to your fav RT personalities joke around about stuff without being too critical...and that's okay. there is the RTP for you then....that is not what we are about at SCREEN PLAY...and by doing things our own way and more concentrated on certain topics, we've picked up (on itunes) a HUGE audience who doesn't even know what RT or AH is...a lot who don't even game...but they love listening to stuff about movies....and that was my goal...not to pander to a certain age range or audience...but to get an audience who DOES care about those things you didn't care in the first place. For every person that says "why are they talking about this i dont even care about this movie or show" we have 20 tweets saying "PLEASE TALK ABOUT THIS MOVIE/SHOW" Anyway long story short...im sorry we don't approach things like the other shows....but that was a concious decision by everyone who worked on the show.

• JJ

#17192248 - 4 years ago

In reply to Webbstre, #13:

also i apologize if that came off more brash than i intended it to...i was just trying to explain our point of view on the show VS preconceived expectations....its very very diff from what most RT content is like...which is why we put it on THE KNOW and not RT youtube

• Webbstre

#17193813 - 4 years ago

Well, thanks for the response again JJ. I still feel a bit like you're mainly talking about a different argument people probably have (everyone crying out for you to talk about the thing they like) instead of my point, which is basically asking why you waste time talking about things you don't like when you only have a limited amount of time and you could be talking about more things you do like. I don't personally know most of the shows or movies you talk about, but I like being introduced to new things, which is what I'd rather hear about in the end. If I wanted to hear other people rag on things they don't like, there's a huge chunk of the internet out there I would be checking out rather than spend my time with Rooster Teeth.

Shortened version: I'm not clambering to hear you talk about the things I already like, I want to hear more about what you like and not what you don't like.

Extra note: Now that you've introduced the TMNT topic in a different way I'm much more interested in hearing you talk about it than I was from how you mentioned it two shows back.

• beautifulmidnight

beautifulmidnight FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17198564 - 4 years ago

The reason that I love Screen Play so much is because I'm basically the kind of nerd that SHOULD like Screen Play. Good movies make me so deliriously happy that I want to talk about them and make people watch them, even if it's something they wouldn't normally watch. But sometimes, bad movies just make me rage. I ranted for a great deal of time about TMNT because it was a huge part of my childhood, and while, yes, the turtles (and their noses) weren't that bad, the whole April O'Neill mess was awful. And sometimes, I do like hearing about stuff that I already like - the MCU, for instance - but even stuff I don't care about like Game of Thrones, I'll listen.

So yeah, I don't listen to Screen Play just to listen to people talk about movies that they like to the point it sounds like an advert, I like hearing conflicting discussions. I like hearing new suggestions for movies to watch, and I get excited when the MBCotW is something I've seen and/or loved. It's one of my favorite podcasts to listen to (and right now, Joel is killing me. Can we have Joel pop in every episode to cause havoc, please?)

And if you ever need a suggestion for the MBCotW - can I please suggest Drop Dead Gorgeous. I can't even say how many people I've converted to this screwed up little movie.

• Ryne9

Ryne9

#17199308 - 4 years ago

In reply to Webbstre, #16:

I don't want you to take any offense, but you're restated your prompt three times now, and even JJ has given his input on the topic. There is very little difference between what he wrote, and what you're asking.

You want the show to be only about positive movies and shows and basically be an hour of movie suggestions and only what they like. JJ is explaining it can't be this way, because you have to cater to a specific crowd and it makes for a boring podast, which goes entirely against the point of Screen Play.

He also said that it ISN'T a traditional Rooster Teeth show, so it doesn't follow the same guidelines. He is making it very clear that he understands what you're asking, and he is telling you why it isn't that way. He doesn't want it to be that way, hence why it's not even posted on the normal RT channel, it's on The Know.

Honestly, this topic should have been closed by now. I'm not trying to come off as harsh, but it sounds like this topic is never going to end until JJ comes out and says "Yes! We are changing everything! We will cater exactly to your wants and needs." If you feel so strongly about it then feel free to get your movie news from elsewhere. Sorry you don't like Screen Play, but there's plenty of us who like it and enjoy it how it is. Nobody said you had to like everything on their site.

Post edited 11/16/14 2:48PM

• jdog90000

jdog90000

#17208378 - 4 years ago

I definitely like the way it's structured. The regular podcast, and Let's Plays are more for entertainment and I like that the Screen Play tries to be more informative by having actual opinions. Now they're obviously not professional movie reviewers but I think that's a good thing. We get to hear the opinions of people like us.

And with movies, there are very few perfect ones, there's always things to pick at.

• blakesean

blakesean

#17315564 - 4 years ago

I guess in JJ/SP's defense, it's not like he/they are maliciously trying to attack certain movies or actors or directors, film criticism is awesome and I'm glad they do it. It's not like they're making negative comments about small independent films that depend on the views of the hosts of SP. And thankfully, even if a member from SP doesn't like a film, I still intend to watch it at some point.

• IAmVeryMoist

IAmVeryMoist Rebel Scum

#17319932 - 4 years ago

OPINIONS smiley0.gif

giphy.gif

• AH_Ider

AH_Ider FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17320137 - 4 years ago

I think any discussions about movies will be slightly negative, and just because Chris or Brandon rip into a Kevin Smith movie doesn't mean that they're right it just gives them and us a chance to discuss. Although I'm a little bias because I appreciate the negativity.

• Spectre08

Spectre08 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17365626 - 4 years ago

I actually think that Screen Play was more positive, far more positive, than any other movie podcast or review show I've seen.

I brought this up in my other thread, that cinephiles are almost as much defined by what movies they hate as they are by what movies they love.

I'm not one to hate movies, I can like almost any movie. But I totally respect that MOST movie conversations are critical rather than "reverent."

I do think that they actually put positive spin on a LOT of movies that most hardcore cinephiles would pan totally. They also talk alot about how much they love some of the blockbuster titles that get panned by most movie snobs.

In short, bring back Screen Play!!!

• Ellecausey

Ellecausey ellecausey

#32829627 - 3 years ago

I know I'm a bit late to the party commenting on this thread, but seeing as I only started branching out from AH stuff to the rest of roosterteeth a couple months ago, and only found screenplay recently, I wondered why it ended so abruptly? Was it not well received, or are they planning on making more episodes later? I personally like how honest and casual the SP podcasts were. Just a group of friends drinking beers and talking about movies, I want more of it!!

• Triage

Triage FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32830998 - 3 years ago

I think JJ wanted to focus on his own career. He started a new podcast at http://filmgeekarmy.com/

• Spectre08

Spectre08 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32833365 - 3 years ago

The new Film Geek Army podcast is great BTW. He frequently has a lot of great guests on the podcast, and the regulars (Jenny Nulf and Mike Wiebe) are awesome.