Forums > Screen Play

MBC#15 SNOWPIERCER

Posts (28)

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17187911 - 4 years ago

a_560x0.jpg

• NaiArmstrong

NaiArmstrong

#17187993 - 4 years ago

I really liked this movie, it honestly made more sense the second time I watched it though. I still have no idea how Yona found the kid at the end, and I feel like the first two acts are the best parts.

• Triage

Triage FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17188460 - 4 years ago

I got a definite Matrix vibe the entire movie. I kept wanting to know more about the world they were living and the rules for the society, and they delivered pretty well. Tilda Swinton is amazing in everything she does too.

• reasonpeason

reasonpeason FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17188512 - 4 years ago

I missed the first bit of this movie, but it was one of the best I've seen in a long LONG time. I definitely need to do a rewatch, but I have to say I love the world building about the society of the train itself.

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17188607 - 4 years ago

Holy shit, this was a great movie. (I might still be pumped from having just watched it.)

The whole part about Curtis being the guy to take over as "conductor" of the train seemed a little forced and out of place. But overall, still awesome

• NateTee

NateTee

#17188609 - 4 years ago

I really enjoyed the movie! I thought Chris Evans did a great job. But, in the second half when its just him and the addicts I felt it start to drag. Some of that stuff helps with the end but it did drag a little for me. Overall though really great movie. Thanks for the recommendation JJ.

• Serperior22

Serperior22 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17189002 - 4 years ago

It was like a mix between two Genres;
    Comedy, and Action.

• BassedMio

BassedMio

#17189776 - 4 years ago

In reply to Serperior22, #8:

I don't know if I'd call it comedic, but it definitely had some satirical elements to it.

Anyways I really liked it. I especially thought it was interesting how different the cars near the front were from the tail. Like when they stepped into the classroom, that was the first point where it just hit me how different a world it was and even how unaware the people further up were of all the suffering going on. Would definitely recommend this movie.

• knikkiyall

knikkiyall

#17189835 - 4 years ago

Loved it, the idea, the story, captain America, all of it. Heard about it from a Korean variety show, so happy you recommended it. ^.^

• Bang9669

Bang9669

#17190648 - 4 years ago

Definitely on the fence about this movie. It does a lot of things right, but i think there is something missing (or present) that keeps it from being great.

• Gmetska

Gmetska FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17190999 - 4 years ago

I honestly thought it was a great movie but the last 20-30 minutes just seemed to ruin it for me, I thought the reason for Chris Evans' character was to get to the front in order to gain control and enact change that would help those being exploited in the back but when he was given a chance to have that power at the end he just seemed to say "fuck it" instead.

• hiyasaya

hiyasaya FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17191437 - 4 years ago

I really love this movie. I saw it at the SIFF Uptown in Seattle back when it came out in the states and was very confused, but very pleased. It definitely has it's flaws, but the concept, design, and cinematography are all just incredible. I also think the satirical and almost cartoonish characters add so much. You get the sense that these were once fairly normal people that were being driven insane by being stuck on a train for 18 years. When I watched it with my boyfriend, his first reactions were that they skipped a lot of train cars (which makes sense, otherwise the film would have been an hour longer), and that polar bears have no reason to be on mountains because that's not where seals are. Always the critic.

Despite the fact that there are issues (ie. the "closed ecosystem" of aquatic animals make no sense and manta rays would serve no purpose in said ecosystem, why are you shooting through glass you guys are idiots, why does this man never die), it also had really interesting open-ended bits. Are there CW7 survivors in the world? The first time I watched it, I assumed that there would be life outside of the train all along. There was no way the entirety of the world went extinct, especially because if the train (which was only designed to withstand arctic temperatures) could survive, then certainly people that lived in subzero cultures their whole life would have the skills and resources to live. But of course, that's not guaranteed. Is everyone on the train dead or are there other survivors? Also more pointless questions I had: How niche do the train cars get to cater to the posh population's luxurious needs? What the fuck happened to the kids after the school car got shot up? Where is the high school car? Where is the college car? If, for instance, the resident sushi chef dies without taking an apprentice, can professions go extinct?

I liked this film a lot. I could probably talk about it for hours.

• Tayter57

Tayter57 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17191791 - 4 years ago

I really enjoyed this movie. Mainly because it can be interpreted in so many different ways. For me the Polar bear at the end represented not only that life was exisiting, but the planet can continue to exist without us, even though it seems that once we are gone the planet is gone.

The imagery was fantastic. I got more of an old boy vibe to it along with other things. The part that sticks in my mind the most is During the fish fight or FF for short. During this fight, Chris Evans has to make a choice between his friend and his mission, and when he chooses his mission, its like this overwhelming feeling of "O shit, its this kind of movie"

When I heard Blaines negitive review, at first I was really upset because I felt his reasons were nitpicky and was void of any suspension of dis belief. Which I am Glad JJ kept bringing up. But in the end he never said it was bad. He just said he didnt like it. Though I was not thrilled to hear his thoughts of a particulr actress, just because she is wierd. So what? Does everything have to be normal? IDK I just felt it was a little off putting.

Overall, enjoyed the opions expressed because it gave me more to go on, while thinking of the movie. Overall when it comes to movies, I guess I enjoy movies that have you fill in some of the blanks, almost if they were put there just for me to interpret. Like Promethus for example.

Anyway, Enjoyed the movie, Enjoyed the podcast. Cant wait to see blue ruin!

• ShawnHanscom

ShawnHanscom FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17192363 - 4 years ago

I watched this movie with an open mind. In fact, i purposely avoided any and all information about the movie so that i could stay unbiased about it. That being said, i have to say i agreed with Blaine here. Although the movie was entertaining and had an awesome cast, i think it really did a lot of things that killed the story for me.
    One of the main things that really threw me off was how we are introduced to a bunch of main characters but *spoilers* in the end, we are left with one KIND of main character and a sub character that have no interaction and no reason to know one another. The clairvoyant girl would only know about that kid because Chris Evans character saved him by sacrificing his arm. To me it just didn't make sense as to why those two would be left at the end.
    Another thing that really threw me off was the lack of detail with very interesting characters. For example there are the two guys in suits that Blaine talked about where they seem like robots and they just wont die.Why are they like that? where did they come from? Another BAD ASS character was the tattoo guy that was good with a knife. I believe we are first introduced to this guy when he kills that brute swinging a hammer after he runs across the barrels. that guy kicked a whole lot of ass, but we know NOTHING about him and they made him out to be important. I would have liked to know more about him as well.
    And lastly, i hated the ending. *spoiler* for starters it just seems too easy, now all of the sudden with no explanation the earth is getting better and NO ONE NOTICES BUT THE GUY WHOS BEEN ASLEEP IN
    A DRAWER. It just seems like, when writing the movie they needed more so they threw in a bunch of shit to try and make it better. The big reveal with Chris Evans' character is he tried to eat a baby. Again here, siding with Blaine, that information came at such a weird point. It was kind of just thrown in there at a point where it seemed like an after thought and the Arm sacrifice as well is a plot line that pays off in the next seen with NO build up. Does that make it a bad movie? No, i just think it would have been better if they brought it up at a different time. (just so we are clear, i know that they show a scar on his arm and talk about his friends mother being dead, it means nothing without information in my opinion). Along with this, when Chris Evans finally gets into the room with the conductor, we find out that John Hurt's character has been evil this whole time. I get wanting to have a twist at the end that shocks you, but they could have hinted at this in the beginning. Have it be late at night and Chris Evans is wide awake cause he cant sleep, hes too nervous about his planned attack....hears John Hurts voice whispering...seems strange, peer over, see John Hurt talking to a wall......"Gilliam, is everything alright?" "wh-what? oh i must have wondered off in my sleep....this old mind isn't what it used to be." then BOOM....we have a reason to believe what is being said.
    All in all this wasn't a terrible movie. I really enjoyed the underlying theme of the separation of classes. I took a sociology class a few years ago and we watched a film that posed the question "is classism the last acceptable form of prejudice?" and in my opinion, Snowpiercer has that same question throughout the entire film. Although i didn't care for certain scenes within the movie, it was still a film that made you think and provided a lot of entertainment. With just a few tweaks the film would have been a lot better. Id give it a 5/10.

• ShawnHanscom

ShawnHanscom FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17192376 - 4 years ago

Im new to this whole thing and my last post is filled with spoilers. I apologize to people who havent seen the movie yet and read my post, i suck!

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17192387 - 4 years ago

In reply to ShawnHanscom, #16:

I'm sure people who didn't want the movie spoiled wouldn't come to this thread anyway. But for future reference:

[spoiler] Put spoiler text in here! [/spoiler] will make: Put spoiler text in here! (Highlight text)

There's a "spoiler" button on top of the text box to make it easier as well. Just a heads up.

Post edited 11/13/14 2:02PM

• ShawnHanscom

#17192390 - 4 years ago

In reply to tardweasel, #17:

I appreciate it!

• theslyfox16

theslyfox16

#17192892 - 4 years ago

Here's my take on Snowpiercer. I hope you enjoy. Feel free to make some comments on my ideas!

This movie was a great social commentary on society. Often times literature uses trains as a symbol for our current hierarchy. 1st class being the rich and so on. Anna Karenina is a novel that uses this device to great effect and snowpiercer takes this idea to another level.

The entire film is based on what happens within the cars. The back of the train is the lowliest members of our culture. The "untouchables" in the caste system. the engine of society operates by using all carts to continue along the tracks. Everyone has their place and task to complete. If someone does not follow these rules than the harshness of the outside world, the chaos of nature and destruction, will overwhelm us.

Curtis represents the new generation. He has to make the decision to continue along the path or begin a new. He has to decide whether ultimately this train benefits humanity or is a detriment. Seeing the lowliest of society being treated little more than a literal cog in a machine. He decides to derail the train and our predetermined order so that we may change the way humanity functions. This is not a popular decision and many oppose him; ultimately having to fight through the entire length of the cars to do so.

What is important is that the outside is a man made disaster and not natural. This shows the viewer that we have created the issue and created thus formulated the train to protects ourselves from the mistakes of our past. The polar bear represents hope. Peace and tranquility can occur and begin again if we have the hope and strength to question the conductor. That does not mean that in the past that the Train was not necessary and in fact saved humanity, but has been used in fear of other possibilities now rather than because it was needed. Perhaps this is a commentary on tradition for tradition sake?

This leads to the head of the engine. The conductor, or Wilford, could represent several different things. He could represent God or Religion. The idea that humanity has created this institution and the idea of tradition is now holding us back more than what we gain from the ideology. Following that idea, Gilliam may represent Satan or maybe Jesus? I'm not sure. I believe Wilford could also represent the past generation. Gilliam could represent the same, and the two could just be the total spectrum of the past generation: Wilford being the highest and Gilliam being the lowest. They had both came to the same conclusion and made a pact to fulfill their duties to continue the momentum of society. Regardless, the ending of the filmed proved that hope exists for humanity more than not. While the halting and change of society (the train) maybe be explosive and unnatural compared to the rhythmic continuation along the track. It may be necessary to leave the familiar and a violent upheaval may be required for this to occur.

• NateTee

NateTee

#17193014 - 4 years ago

In reply to theslyfox16, #19:

I agree with alot of what you said! But, I think that Wilford and Gilliam may represent a kind of behind the scenes ruling because it is revealed the Gilliam is part of it too. This may be a call out to certain kind of government but idk haha. Just my brain spurting out random stuff.

• ACOGJordan

ACOGJordan ChaosBeater23

#17195753 - 4 years ago

Why did they cut into the fish before the big fight in the train? It makes no sense to me. other than that I loved MOST of the movie.

• Tayter57

Tayter57 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17196644 - 4 years ago

In reply to ACOGJordan, #21:

To be ignorant! I thought it was poison,but then I thought it is some tradition that I am not aware of.

• RDVRiley

RDVRiley

#17197729 - 4 years ago

In reply to Tayter57, #22:

i also thought it was poison

• RDVRiley

RDVRiley

#17197731 - 4 years ago

I have been waiting to hear them talk about this on the movie book club!

• ACOGJordan

ACOGJordan ChaosBeater23

#17197816 - 4 years ago

I thought for some reason more people were allergic to fish in the future. I know its retarded but that was the only reason i could come up with. like if all they did was cut them they would have a reaction and die.

• khurram_89

#17198159 - 4 years ago

In reply to ACOGJordan, #25:

I tried to Google it the other day, and all I could find was that it's a way of symbolizing intimidation.