Forums > Screen Play

MBC#16 BLUE RUIN

Posts (9)

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17204475 - 4 years ago

14911851.jpg

Post edited 11/20/14 12:32PM

• Deltasword

Deltasword

#17205833 - 4 years ago

The image is broken JJ.

• jonnyboy7641

jonnyboy7641

#17207494 - 4 years ago

Blue Ruin was one of the most intense movies I have seen in awhile. Really enjoyed it.

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17208536 - 4 years ago

In reply to jonnyboy7641, #3:

agreed

• ChecklistRob

ChecklistRob

#17209194 - 4 years ago

I'd never heard of Macon Blair before I watched this movie. The first 10-15 minutes from him before everything kicks off is just masterful. How is he not huge?

• JJ

#17210331 - 4 years ago

In reply to ChecklistRob, #5:

id give it a year or two

• Ryne9

Ryne9

#17213567 - 4 years ago

I love this for its intensity without it needing to be a bloodbath. That's definitely the film's strong point. Not a lot of people died, which makes each death so much more important.

I also love how realistically they portrayed Macon Blair's character. The scene when he goes into the hardware store to buy lure and needles to patch himself up shows the absurdity of tropes we get from video games and high octane action films. The fact that he has to go to the hospital makes it that much more blatant. It's also obvious he isn't a trained killer, he just wants to avenge his family.

I also love the silence in the movie. Nothing really needed to be said, since the sheer performance explained more than enough, which I don't think I've seen since a movie like Cast Away. Very similar vibes. Great execution, either way.

Post edited 11/22/14 10:45PM

• SliWill

SliWill

#17241915 - 4 years ago

Took me awhile but I finally got around to watching Blue Ruin and maaaannnnn how F'n intense!

I had heard the KillerPOV crew mentioning it a lot over a number of their podcasts and then remember it was a MBC for Screenplay so I got watching now that I have some spare time to bust through my long list of '2014 To Watches' list.

I would love to hear a commentary track for Blue Ruin, that dives into the technical and writing sides of its creation cause this film is nicely crafted. Everything about the film has already been said in this thread, might hunt down the Blu now!

Blue Ruin = A+

• 6pintsasec

6pintsasec

#17269902 - 4 years ago

Just watched this film, I had never heard of it before so I went in blind and was pleasantly surprised.

To me it had a very Coen brother's feel to it. Brutal senseless violence that the camera doesn't shy away from but is over as soon as it's begun. A plot brought about by misunderstandings and human stupidity. A downer ending. I loved it.

I look forward to seeing more from everyone involved.