Forums > Screen Play

Films you watched as a kid

Posts (18)

• Blutonian

Blutonian Tech Guardian

#17217986 - 4 years ago

Two questions came up on the Regular RT Podcast yesterday, but they were film related and I had to think about them and I thought it would bring up some interesting discussion here.

What films did you repeatedly watch as a kid over and over?

My first answer was Ghostbusters, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that Ghostbusters was probably low on the view count compared to some of the others on the list. The list in no particular order is, The Goonies, Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, Short Circuit, Superman II & III, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Gremlins 2 & Karate Kid.

As an adult, my go to films just to have on in the background while doing other things were The Big Lebowski, The Boondock Saints, The Matrix and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. Though lately it's easier to choose episodic stuff on Netflix so I rotate between Archer, Red vs. Blue, Doctor Who & Supernatural. (Also Stargate SG1 before they took it out of the streaming pool. and goddamn did those replicators always freak me out!)

The second question was:

What is the first film you remember seeing in a theater?

I remember vividly going to see the Care Bears movie, but I don't remember a single thing about the actual film, just that we went. Some family friends from out of town were staying with us that weekend and I remember our mothers taking all the kids out to see it.

The first film where I remember watching it on the big screen and can recall the film was a screening of Sword in the Stone that a local theater was showing special for some anniversary of its original release.

The first live action film I saw in the theater was definitely without a doubt The Karate Kid.

• ElDaveo

ElDaveo FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17218915 - 4 years ago

For movies I watched over and over as a kid, I have tons. But the top ones were the original Star Wars trilogy, The Terminator, Conan, The Thing (John Carpenters), Ghostbusters one and two, Monster Squad, Robocop, Transformers and Indiana Jones.

The first movie I remember seeing was Return of the Jedi at the drive-in. I vaguely remember a Tarzan movie that I wasn't interested in being shown first.

• Blutonian

Blutonian Tech Guardian

#17219121 - 4 years ago

In reply to ElDaveo, #2:

Wow, Monster Squad, I totally forgot about that one...

WOLFMAN'S GOT NARDS!

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17243317 - 4 years ago

As a kid Jurassic Park was probably the most influential for me. I honestly can't remember the first movie I saw in a theater. Probably some Disney movie like The Lion King, which I also watched a ton once I got it on VHS.

• D1rtyDo2en

D1rtyDo2en

#17245565 - 4 years ago

I think the 2 that really standout for me were Tim Burton's Batman ant the original TMNT movie. Both spent most of the time in the VCR.

• SachiiSez

SachiiSez FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Good-Natured Realist

#17247134 - 4 years ago

As a kid: We're Back, Fern Gully, Beauty & the Beast, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Matrix, Star Trek: First Contact, Once Upon a Time in China, Project A, Hong Kong Police Story, Castle of Cagliostro and Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

As an adult: Casablanca, Summer Wars, Pitch Perfect, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended editions), Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Howl's Moving Castle, 10 Things I Hate About You.. and I still go back to The Matrix and Beauty & the Beast.

First movie I remember seeing in cinemas: *giggles* Kung-Pow Enter the Fists... it was terrible, but I was a teenager, and I did a lot of silly things back then.

Post edited 12/07/14 12:22AM

• Blutonian

Blutonian Tech Guardian

#17247547 - 4 years ago

I was talking to my mother about this at Thanksgiving dinner and she reminded me of a few more I watched to death as a kid. Big Trouble in Little China and Young Guns I & II

• DSyndrome

DSyndrome

#17247954 - 4 years ago

The movie that I watched the most as a kid were the original Star Wars movies on Vhs, I would watch them with my older brothers over and over. To this day I still have no clue about the plot of the first movies, but I like to think I do.

• JanJinkle

JanJinkle FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17249816 - 4 years ago

I remember watching the Bionicle movies constantly as a kid. However, I'm told that as a young child, I watched The Lion King a million times.

The first movie I saw in theaters was Star Wars: Episode 1. I still remember walking out of the theater and overhearing a a dad telling his kid that Palpatine is the Emporer, and it blew my 6-year-old mind.

• DSyndrome

DSyndrome

#17249831 - 4 years ago

In reply to JanJinkle, #10:

Ahhhhh man those bionicle movies were awesome! Did you play with bionicles as you watched the movie too?

• JanJinkle

JanJinkle FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17249845 - 4 years ago

In reply to DSyndrome, #11:

Of course! Mask of Light was and still is a great movie. I didn't like Web of Shadows much, but I watched it because the Toa Hordika, which are my favorite versions of the Toa

• JeneralArcher

JeneralArcher

#17250512 - 4 years ago

I want to say a movie I watched a ton was The Lion King, but I think I mainly just had a ton of Lion King merchandise. I'm not sure I actually watched it that often. However, I distinctly remember asking my parents to rent that animated Hobbit movie over and over. My dad said I would watch it and immediately rewind it and go again. I may still hum the songs from time to time.

The first movie I can remember seeing in theaters was The Road to El Dorado, mostly because I felt super awkward watching Chel and Tulio make out while sitting next to my dad. That movie came out in 2000 though, so I'm a little worried that I don't remember any movies before then. I should ask the 'rents and see what they say. I'm sure the answer will probably be Lion King as well.

• Rurouni1029

Rurouni1029 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17252767 - 4 years ago

The first movie I can remember seeing in the theater is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We have a theater in town that plays an organ before every show on the weekends and shows classics at midnight on Fridays. I feel bad I didn't get a chance to watch Interstellar on it.

I never re-watched movies, at least not a lot that I remember. We were a Blockbuster family and watched whatever we could as a weekend family night. My first VHS was Batman and I loved seeing the Looney Tunes merchandise tie in. There's a movie I know has not made a DVD release called The Remote which is a Home Alone clone from that time, I need to find a way to convert it so future generations can know about this.

• How_Humorous

How_Humorous

#17256803 - 4 years ago

I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas like it was my job. And I still watch it when holiday season rolls around.

First movie I remember seeing in theaters was Toy Story. I remember not appreciating it when I saw it.

EDIT: grammar

Post edited 12/10/14 4:01PM

• SachiiSez

SachiiSez FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Good-Natured Realist

#17256811 - 4 years ago

In reply to How_Humorous, #15:

Oh my gosh thanks for the reminder about Nightmare Before Christmas - must rewatch during December.

• JanJinkle

#17256815 - 4 years ago

In reply to How_Humorous, #15:

Nightmare Before Christmas: Because it's such a good movie, it gives you an excuse to watch it twice a year.

• How_Humorous

How_Humorous

#17256829 - 4 years ago

In reply to SarahChan, #16:

Yes! It holds up so well.

In reply to JanJinkle, #17:

The marketing department must've thought they had struck gold.

• JanJinkle

#17256849 - 4 years ago

In reply to How_Humorous, #18:

Conversely, the accounting department was clawing their eyes out around the two and a half year point of production.