Forums > Screen Play

Sleeper films of the year

Posts (22)

• SliWill

SliWill

#17232343 - 4 years ago

Thought I'd see what everyone elses 'sleeper' films of this year have been.

Films that you ether have taken a gamble and watched without knowing too much about it and were surprised by or films that are lower budget indies that need more attention and you discovered!

The big ones that stand out the most for me would be It Follows , Starry Eyes and The Babadook these are all insanely good if you're into the 'horror/thriller' genre and have been reviewed really well.

Some that deserve attention are Housebound an awesome Comedy/Horror that was shot in New Zealand, and Tusk, Kevin Smiths awesomely obscure film that will leave you repeating WTF over and over again.

What are some sleepers that you guys have seen and rate/recommend? Keen to hear it!

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17233237 - 4 years ago

HOUSEBOUND was a lot of fun...IT FOLLOWS is soooo good! Tusk is...alright. Haven't seen any of the others.

• NovaTags

NovaTags

#17270610 - 4 years ago

Fury for me. Didn't know anything about it before watching it and it blew my dang mind. Best war movie since Saving Pvt Ryan IMO. Edge of Tomorrow was an amazing movie as well that didn't get the attention it deserved. Best science fiction film of the year for me.

• roybrewster

roybrewster

#17295276 - 4 years ago

Under the Skin, Only Lovers Left Alive, and Snowpiercer. All three i didn't know anything about going into them and ended up loving all of them.

• JoshRyanAbne

JoshRyanAbne

#17309429 - 4 years ago

IMO Gone Girl based on everyone going all hater on Ben Affleck being cast as Batman. This was an amazing movie, my wife & I loved it.

• Clatchley

Clatchley

#17311229 - 4 years ago

Whiplash and Obvious Child are both great. Also The Raid 2 is amazing.

• Crince

Crince

#17313294 - 4 years ago

I haven't heard anyone talk much about The Drop, its got Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini in it. Solid movie but not much buzz about it.

Post edited 1/07/15 11:00PM

• IAmVeryMoist

IAmVeryMoist Rebel Scum

#17319910 - 4 years ago

Whiplash hands down

• HeeHawShofar

HeeHawShofar FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17320077 - 4 years ago

Nightcrawler absolutely astonished me. I had to watch it multiple times to examine all the great aspects of it. Jake's performance is definitely going to be talked about a lot for Best Actor, although I'm not sure if he can beat out Michael Keaton for Birdman.

Also, @william101, what is it that you enjoyed about The Babadook. I'm curious because I thought it could have been a very well done horror film, if it didn't spend the first 30 minutes introducing two of the most unbearable characters(not the actors, I thought they did a fine job), so that by the time the story book even comes around, I didn't care about what happened to these two at all.

• SliWill

SliWill

#17320104 - 4 years ago

In reply to HeeHawShofar, #9:

Nightcrawler absolutely astonished me. I had to watch it multiple times to examine all the great aspects of it. Jake's performance is definitely going to be talked about a lot for Best Actor, although I'm not sure if he can beat out Michael Keaton for Birdman.

Also, @william101, what is it that you enjoyed about The Babadook. I'm curious because I thought it could have been a very well done horror film, if it didn't spend the first 30 minutes introducing two of the most unbearable characters(not the actors, I thought they did a fine job), so that by the time the story book even comes around, I didn't care about what happened to these two at all.

I'd have to agree with you about Nightcrawler, god dam that movie was awesomely dark and Jake's delivery and his insane performance tops it off nicely. I've still yet to see Birdman, Whiplash and a few other oscar worthy films as New Zealand likes to delay their awards season films until January every year instead of releasing during the holiday season >_<

As for the enjoyment of The Babadook, I saw it in a packed out theater (The Civic in New Zealand) during our international film festival, so it was with a like minded audience that knew what they were watching.That adds to the experience of seeing the film for me.

I'd actually have to agree with you and the setup of the characters but I think that the actors delivery the performance they did makes up for it but mainly I enjoyed the pay off and how the characters dealt with what they had to deal with and the development of that over the course of the film (don't want to spoil anything etc)

It's a slow burner and they are the movies I enjoy the most. I also knew the tone of the film going in prior, as going in blindly but assuming it's just another 'horror' can screw up a viewing experience.

And lastly I'd have to mention that I am a pretty big horror buff so this film from the get go is a 'refreshing' change inside a genre that is littered with cliche/reboots. So anything that breaks away from that and is a stand out to begin with is going to get props, even if it's mediocre (In this case The Babadook isn't)

I hope that answered it smiley0.gif

Post edited 1/10/15 11:58PM

• HeeHawShofar

HeeHawShofar FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17320129 - 4 years ago

In reply to william101, #10:

I can appreciate that, the environment I saw it in wasn't exactly ideal.

If you're into horror, there was a film that came out this year called Cheap Thrills. Kind of a dark comedy/horror mix. I watched it without reading anything about, all I knew was that David Koechner was in it. It's another slow burner like you said and its such a twisted plot line.

• SliWill

SliWill

#17320198 - 4 years ago

In reply to HeeHawShofar, #11:

Maaaaate Cheap Thrills is fucking AAWWWEEESOME! haha

I went in blindly as well but with a few mates when we had movie night and we were laughing, yelling 'OH SHIT' and 'No waaaay' through out it. Definitely a stand out genre film in the past few years.

• ConnorDono

ConnorDono

#17322673 - 4 years ago

Have to say "Whiplash" on this one. My expectations were shattered by that astonishing third act. Also, J.K. Simmons. He already has "Best Supporting Actor" in my mind.

Another movie that I'm not sure if people would consider 2014 since it came out before the Oscars this past year is "The Guest". I'm also not sure if it had hype either, but I hadn't heard of it and neither did my movie-loving friends. Adam Wingard (also did "You're Next) did a fantastic job on this movie. It's really darkly comedic, badass, and self-aware. Also badass.

• SliWill

SliWill

#17322675 - 4 years ago

In reply to ConnorDono, #13:

I really really want to see Whiplash in the theater but haven't heard of any screenings in my country and The Guest is the next movie on my 'To see' list when I get some spare time, I eagle eye Adam Wingard and Simon Barretts film careers haha

• Clatchley

Clatchley

#17322990 - 4 years ago

I just saw The Guest and it was really cool and Force Majeure was incredible.

• bearjeeeew

bearjeeeew

#17323787 - 4 years ago

The Raid was one of the best action films that I've seen in recent years and The Raid 2 was even better, didn't quite get the love I thought it deserved. The Guest was pretty awesome as well kinda reminded me of a mix of 80's action horror and Drive, plus it had a killer soundtrack.

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17518301 - 4 years ago

NIGHTCRAWLER for sure...this year will be IT FOLLOWS and EX MACHINA

• IAmVeryMoist

IAmVeryMoist Rebel Scum

#17518493 - 4 years ago

In reply to JJ, #17:

Hell yeah man

• SliWill

SliWill

#17524718 - 4 years ago

In reply to mackendog, #19:

I've most likely got to watch for ages to see this but haven't heard anything bad about it, has me hyped!

• IAmVeryMoist

IAmVeryMoist Rebel Scum

#17530785 - 4 years ago

In reply to mackendog, #19:

Seeing that tonight! Very excited.

• knightmawk

knightmawk FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17535118 - 4 years ago

Whiplash was one of the best movies Ive seen in a long time, see it somewhere with a good sound system, or with good headphones. Its absolutely the most intense movie about drumming since Drumline.

Snowpiercer, while a lot of people seemed to have not liked it, was also really good in my opinion, but Im a huge fan of that director already,

And of course, Birdman was phenomenally good.

I enjoyed the Babadook, but I thought it had some problems with pacing, the end was a little abrupt and it kind of ruined the slow build up the rest of the film had established, still really good and worth watching, very spooky.

• IAmVeryMoist

IAmVeryMoist Rebel Scum

#17535189 - 4 years ago

In reply to knightmawk, #23:

All of those movies are fucking incredible