Forums > Screen Play

MBC#20 THE ONE I LOVE

Posts (7)

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17269083 - 4 years ago

11180078_800.jpg

• JeneralArcher

JeneralArcher

#17269400 - 4 years ago

This was definitely one of those films where I immediately hit up 3 friends and was like, "watch this and talk to me about it because I'm not quite sure how I feel."

I will say that Elisabeth Moss has such a good, fierce stare that I thought it was going to go a more gruesome route. She looked ready to do some murder. I really enjoyed her. Like others, I would have liked a little more explanation of what exaactly was going on with the doubles, but I'm glad I watched it. I am curious what long-term couples got out of it that maybe I didn't.

• SilverKM03

SilverKM03

#17269409 - 4 years ago

I really don't think Ethan 2 was making an attempt at explaining the "how" of the whole situation. While I would agree with his response, I don't think it was strictly intended as exposition. Sophie mentions earlier in the film that Ethan ruins a magic act they saw by revealing how it's done. Ethan 2 is just the embodiment of Sophie's ideal Ethan.

I see the whole film as a introspective on the reality of relationships vs our self-deception of them. People are inherently shitty - and do shitty things for the dumbest of reasons. When Ted Danson sends them to the retreat, they have to make a simple decision - Do they love one another as they are or as they want each other to be? If they can't move on, they'll be stuck, in the guest house, dwelling on the past until the next couple arrive.

Or I'm over-thinking it and nothing happened. smiley1.gif

• JeneralArcher

JeneralArcher

#17270624 - 4 years ago

In reply to EricVela, #4:

I know John Green in particular talks a lot about books belonging to their readers 'cause people will ask him, ya know "what's the symbolism in this" and he'll say what it meant to him but always stress that doesn't make it any more correct than what anyone else gains from it. Writers are of course careful and deliberate with their words but that only goes so far sometimes. I'm not sure how other creators might agree or disagree with this. Obviously they are some who are veery intentional with their works.

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17271868 - 4 years ago

In reply to SilverKM03, #3:

that magic act thing is a really good point (almost like a note to the audience)

• midwestwitch

midwestwitch

#17271922 - 4 years ago

I did like that final moment with the choice real Duplass has to make, but like the explainy stuff the movie does to get there took me out of the flow of the story. I feel like I wanted a more cerebral movie where it sounded like you guys on the show wanted a more action filled ending, but the movie hits a tone in the middle where neither of us were super stoked.

Overall good and definitely worth watching, but it's hard not to be nitpicky when it's easy to see where it could have gone.

• JeneralArcher

JeneralArcher

#17272076 - 4 years ago

In reply to JJ, #6:

A note to the audience, yeah, but then I think that makes it kind of awkward in the sense that it's like, "hey don't be a bummer and try and ruin the magic but by the way here's ALL THIS STUFF you're can't help but have questions about." I'm not sure that jives with me.