Forums > Screen Play

SONY cancels release of THE INTERVIEW

Posts (108)

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17271650 - 4 years ago

The-Interview-2014-Movie-Poster.jpg

After a huge corporate hack, and finally threats, and theater chains saying they will not screen the film, SONY (after promoting heavily on TV) has cancelled the DEC 25th release of THE INTERVIEW. THOUGHTS?

Post edited 12/17/14 4:51PM

• AwesomeAdams

AwesomeAdams

#17271661 - 4 years ago

Thank God! I understand movies are art but that is just stupid.

• JDunlap

JDunlap The Dude

#17271674 - 4 years ago

If they release it in 5 years, nobody will care.

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17271684 - 4 years ago

article about them canceling the release. yesterday carmike theaters said they would not play it for safety of their customers. then regal and a bunch of bigger movie chains joined them. SONY then decided to cancel the release all together....though im sure a VOD release will happen eventaully

deadline.com/2014/12/sony-scraps-the-interview-1201328639/

• shumble91

shumble91 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Scientists of RT

#17271693 - 4 years ago

Let's wait till the WarGames reboot and the Russians get all angry or something.

• SickSlickMan

SickSlickMan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Movie Critic

#17271698 - 4 years ago

Can't say I'm surprised, all in all. I'm amazed the movie got green lit to begin with, given how psycho Kim Jong-un is when it comes to wanting to kill us all. Still, pretty disappointing.

• GODTamIT

GODTamIT Aesthetic

#17271702 - 4 years ago

I have always been interested in North Korea and its politics and I was really excited for this film's release. Poor show from Sony on this one. Hopefully there will be a leak of it so I can watch it for all its cinematic glory.

• shumble91

shumble91 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Scientists of RT

#17271703 - 4 years ago

In reply to SickSlickMan, #7:

That regime has wanted to do something horrific to us in the west for years. Why would they suddenly let go of the rhetoric and do it now when we have been poking them for years as it is!

• Matt317

Matt317 the guy

#17271705 - 4 years ago

Shame, and I was looking forward to seeing it.

• SamWaldo

SamWaldo FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTMI Admin + RTX Guardia

#17271707 - 4 years ago

I think I'm more concerned that they used the term hackers to explain the threats, not some anit- group or something

• MasterWoolly

MasterWoolly Semicolon

#17271715 - 4 years ago

All I'm going to say is that I was under the impression that the US does not negotiate with terrorists. I guess that doesn't include cyber-terrorism.

• GODTamIT

GODTamIT Aesthetic

#17271717 - 4 years ago

In reply to Gaverscone, #12:

That is a given, but just to see a spoof of the antics of the state would have been pretty good to watch anyway.

• DiMono

DiMono FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold It's Back Baby!

#17271720 - 4 years ago

In reply to MasterWoolly, #13:

You ... do understand that that refers specifically to the government, and not to corporations, right?

Anyway, I think this is a bad move. It sets a precedent that threatening a theatre over a movie will get them not to show it. Sony will undoubtedly still release it digitally, and possibly in theatres at a later date, but the damage is already done.

• Krispy

Krispy Photographer

#17271729 - 4 years ago

While it's understandable you want to keep people safe in case anything really does go down, you can't give into fear. This just gives legitimacy to these kinds of groups and gives them the idea they can do anything like this in the future and succeed.

• HeLiam

HeLiam FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17271733 - 4 years ago

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the film, if it's art, it's art, if it is funny, it's funny, and at the same if it's offensive, it's offensive, if it is wrong, then it is wrong.

If the Sony decided to cancel it because they thought it was offensive, or it just wasn't right to, then I have no problem with that, they need to maintain their integrity.

What I don't like is the fact that they have had to cancel it due to the fact that people are threatening lives, and it has become a matter of life, death, and terrorism. I'm just annoyed that people would go to these lengths over a film, and these threats are unforgivable, whether they really intended to do it or not.

I think the news should be less about Sony's reaction and more on the people threatening the lives of the innocent themselves.

• IAmAaron

IAmAaron FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Editor of Videos

#17271735 - 4 years ago

This sets a horrible precedent. Sadly, the phrase, "The terrorists have won," is very much true in this instance.

• HeLiam

HeLiam FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17271740 - 4 years ago

In reply to IAmAaron, #21:

True, I agree with what you're saying, but sadly, I have to agree with "letting them win" in this instance. I mean, yes we could defy them, but at what cost?

• IAmAaron

IAmAaron FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Editor of Videos

#17271744 - 4 years ago

In reply to HeLiam, #23:

But, we as a country face these threats on a daily basis. We just don't hear about them. This one just made it into the mainstream media.

• HeLiam

#17271751 - 4 years ago

In reply to IAmAaron, #24:

Well, I suppose it comes down to the force of the threat themselves, and how likely these people are to act on it. It might just be a case of cancel the plans for release until the threat can be properly assessed? As I'm sure the FBI or whatever other appropriate organisations America has are investigating it.

• TinaBobina

TinaBobina FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

#17271753 - 4 years ago

This is how terrorism wins.

You know I don't even like going to a movie theater but I'd go to see this movie.

• rohwen

rohwen TheBlade

#17271757 - 4 years ago

I'm simultaneously surprised and not surprised they decided to not show the film. What I don't understand is they had to know there would be blow back when they green lit the film and still decided to go ahead and make it. Now that the "threats" are being made they've decided to cancel it, but as stated they had to know something like this would happen.

A similar thing happened years ago with the game 12 Days in Fallujah. Same concept where they knew there would be issues and back down at the last minute. This kind of backwards thinking doesn't benefit anyone. If you had even the slightest doubts about how this scenario would play out then you shouldn't have given it the go ahead.

• agentmaine6

agentmaine6

#17271760 - 4 years ago

fucking offence this and offencive that you can do or say anything with out offending somebody, but we should not of seen anything different about a movie about a plot to kill a child

• SamWaldo

SamWaldo FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTMI Admin + RTX Guardia

#17271762 - 4 years ago

In reply to EricVela, #27:

Even though they call them hackers, I bet they have more of a serious idea of whose's behind it, but only calling them hackers for the benefit of the masses. Because otherwise it might cause mass panic if they say the suspect a larger group behind it

• Cassner

Cassner FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Hail Hydra

#17271783 - 4 years ago

Mass Panic my ass, these people are bullies and cowards.They should show the movie.

Post edited 12/17/14 5:36PM

• MasterWoolly

MasterWoolly Semicolon

#17271786 - 4 years ago

In reply to DiMono, #15:

I do understand that. I also understand that the "bad guys," for lack of a better term, are making a mean face and others are backing down. I think it's utter bullshit.