Forums > Screen Play

Greatest cinematographers?

Posts (9)

• AH_Ider

AH_Ider FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17320147 - 4 years ago

Pretty open and vague discussion, but who are your favourite cinematographers? Who do you think people should be looking out for? Obviously guys like Cameron and Christopher Nolan are incredible, I would also add Mitchell Amundsen the dp for the transformers movies because even though those movies are not astounding pieces of art, but the shot composition is exceedingly well done. So what do you think?

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17334765 - 4 years ago

easy. Conrad L Hall and Roger Deakins.

• AH_Ider

AH_Ider FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17336110 - 4 years ago

In reply to JJ, #2:

I agree 100%, what do you think of my opinion on the Dp of transformers and as much as its unpopular I would add Micheal Bay because story wise he's not overly astounding, but the man can manipulate a camera in some amazing ways!

• nfraehlich

nfraehlich

#17336392 - 4 years ago

Not that you were asking me..but I can add my two cents..Mitchell Amundsen, I believe also worked on things like Pirates of the Caribbean which is fantastic, and Pearl Harbor which is also pretty great. He's kind of choppy and such, but it's not really bad..in the context of the films he works on he does great things. Both of the other two movies I mentioned (and probably Transformers, but I've not seen it since, like, 2007) can be really beautiful at times. So if I wouldn't say he was good, I'd definitely say he's underrated.

As for the original question..Conrad L. Hall clearly, and maybe Robert Burks. Someone like Janusz Kaminski because War Horse and Lincoln, ect, are really beautiful and creative. Beyond that I would get a little nit-picky on a film-by-film basis. Rodrigo Prieto for Wolf of Wallstreet because that was flashy and flamboyant and absolutely perfect for that film..I think he even won and Oscar for that. Jeff Cronenweth for the Social Network because I hold the (probably highly unpopular opinion) that that movie was beautifully done. If nothing else the camera movement and such was different enough that he should get points for style. Robert Richardson to, perhaps..Hugo was great. I dunno..it's a good question.

• SilverKM03

SilverKM03

#17344539 - 4 years ago

I'm partial to Matthew Libatique's work.

• AH_Ider

#17346087 - 4 years ago

In reply to SilverKM03, #5:

Definitely, his work on Iron man and Iron man 2 is stellar!

• Spectre08

Spectre08 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17365825 - 4 years ago

Rodrigo Prieto, unquestionably.

25th Hour, The Wolf of Wall Street, Argo, Babel

Seriously underrated and underappreciated film maker.

• JJ

JJ FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17518299 - 4 years ago

In reply to AH_Ider, #3:

yes his camera skills are good...i mean like Snyder's SUCKER PUNCH is so fun to look at....with the volume down

• JJ

#17518300 - 4 years ago

In reply to Spectre08, #7:

i knew we were friends for a treason