Forums > Screen Play

Screen Play Revamp/Cancellation

Posts (73)

• IQPOK

IQPOK

#17326850 - 4 years ago

How do you all feel about the announcement that the Screen Play podcast will be either revamped or scrapped? If it should be revamped, what do you guys think would improve it? I would love to hear your thoughts.

• AwesomeAdams

AwesomeAdams

#17327227 - 4 years ago

I would love to watch Screen play but, it made me angry. I understand everyone isn't going to like every movie but I felt they shouldn't say a movie is horrible. I don't know it made me feel weird. Especially JJ I feel he acts like a snob but, everyone who is that into film is normally snobby and a douche bag. I wish rooster teeth would take notes of how they use to be. Used to they just wouldn't talk about something they didn't like. Idk I'm sure this will be downvoted because I have an opinion and said something negative about Rooster teeth.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17327329 - 4 years ago

In reply to IQPOK, #1:

One thing I didn't like about Screen Play was that they were getting stuck with the same crew. I think they should have kept it mixed up like it was when it started. Sure, I enjoy a Bro's podcast, but I would be nice to get other views, thoughts, and opinions on the matter.

• IQPOK

IQPOK

#17328317 - 4 years ago

I agree that the crew could have been shifted around a bit more bringing on the bigger names like Gus more often would have probably helped. And AwesomeAdams I can see where you're coming from with the not talking about things they don't like but at the same time it would be hard to do a movie podcast without having them put in whether they liked it or not. I think they should be allowed to have their own opinions on things and ultimately you don't have to agree with them.

• MrTyler

MrTyler

#17328368 - 4 years ago

I think that they should definitely do what they did with The Patch, turn it into The Ryan Show at around number 20. I mean, doesn't everybody love Ryan?

• LauraLazer

LauraLazer

#17328456 - 4 years ago

I always really enjoyed Screen Play and writing down some of their recommendations gave me some great movies to watch.
    Different people on the podcast would be great though as that would be very refreshing and lead to more interesting conversations. I think negative aspects of a film should be discussed just like the positive ones. It's more interesting than just praising good films. Although I personally also don't really like it when people just dismiss a film as terrible without giving any reasons.
    All in all, I really liked the podcast and especially the idea of a "Movie of the week". If they bring it back in the future I hope they will still include something like that.

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17328595 - 4 years ago

I think one huge improvement that should be made (if it returns) is to allow there to be more free discussion as opposed to going through a fixated list of things that NEED to be discussed. Podcasts are much more fun when it's "improv-ed" as opposed to scripted.

Of course there should be a list of topics to discuss in order to prevent dead air. But if there's a passionate conversation about Star Wars happening for an hour, I'm all for that. Forcing people to talk about things they don't want to discuss makes for a boring podcast.

• beautifulmidnight

beautifulmidnight FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17328612 - 4 years ago

I'm gutted. I absolutely loved it, and JJ as host. I'm really going to miss it.

But I agree with you that it would benefit from playing a little fast and loose with the list of topics.

• CollinAkers

CollinAkers FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17328799 - 4 years ago

I have no problem with the host(s) It just felt too controlled, too scripted. The best part was when everyone (except JJ) hijacked the podcast during the Die Hard segment (assuming that makes sense)

Things to keep: Movie Book Club I liked that it gave everyone something to talk about(including the Community)
    JJ as host(obviously)
    Chris's new job every week

Things we can change: Start free form, by that I mean have a starting topic and lets go from there
    More input from the community; a few hours before going live they ask us what do we want to talk about.(If they don't do that already actuality)

These are the things I would like to see stay and change in the "New Screen Play"

• Black_nerd

Black_nerd FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17329120 - 4 years ago

In reply to tardweasel, #7:
    People keep complaining about it being too "controlled and scripted". But I imagine that this happened because they were told to do it like "The Patch", covering the weekly movie news. Hence they felt compelled to get to each topic. Sure, the ones with like, Geoff were pretty sporadic, but normally, there is literally a list of topics that they follow through and read out, in an identical format to Screenplay.

Honestly, I don't know if anyone will be able to replace JJ. I think they'll either have to completely change it, or get rid of it all together. Which sucks because it was kind of the only RT content I would say I was regularly consuming. Maybe they'll make one of the sponsor cast things a weekly one rather than a one off.

Also I don't think keeping JJ as host is going to happen, I'm pretty sure he's gone. Which really really sucks. Screenplay was exactly what I'd say casual podcast have been missing, that I personally watch anyway. I have Inside Gaming for gaming, RTP for comedy, but nothing for film. It was just an empty slot, which was filled by a pretty decent weekly hour.

• TheWereodile

TheWereodile

#17329986 - 4 years ago

I think it really sucks. Lately the show has been the only RT podcast I watched on a weekly basis (sorry RT Podcast, you've grown pretty stale to me, except when maybe Michael or someone outside of the usual 4 is on). I also didn't realize that so many people disliked JJ as host, at least from reading the comments on the announcement. I liked that he talked about more indie movies and out-there stuff, instead of the same Star Wars and Marvel stuff they talk about every single week.

I hope they bring it back with a more rotating cast like they did at the start, even if JJ isn't the host.

• Webbstre

Webbstre FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17330556 - 4 years ago

Glad there is finally a thread here for this. I'm also glad to see a couple other people on here mirroring my opinions. Assuming that JJ has left, here are my suggestions:
    - Stay positive - if you hate something let someone who likes it talk about it or talk about something else... at the very least stay constructive
    - Rotate the cast more often
    - Vary the movie book club genres more
    - Maybe put in a segment towards the end of a TV season about what shows may or may not be renewed for next year, as well as what people hope will come back for another season.

• hungrylama

hungrylama

#17330951 - 4 years ago

Great show, great hosts.More Gus, Burnie or Matt would be nice but i know they are busy. JJ was truly the host it needed although he was a snob I felt that what it needed to balance it out.

• JesusMedina2

JesusMedina2

#17331065 - 4 years ago

I will miss this show hope it comes back. JJ to me was the perfect host and I liked the structure he tried to implement but I also enjoyed the tangents they went off on. I will agree that having a more of a cast rotation would do the show a good boost of well needed energy. All in all I hope the show comes back because aside from the RTP this was the only thing I was listening to week to week in a good rotation with every other podcast i listen too.

• MeowKing

MeowKing FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17331078 - 4 years ago

In reply to TheWereodile, #11:

Pretty much agree with all of this.
    (Also, awesome avatar)

• JoshRyanAbne

JoshRyanAbne

#17331403 - 4 years ago

DON'T SCRAP IT! Revamp with multiple cast members & a more free flow less scripty.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17331763 - 4 years ago

In reply to JoshRyanAbne, #16:

It wasn't that scripty. I think they had a set schedule and JJ tried pretty hard to meet those schedules/parts within the show.

• JoshRyanAbne

JoshRyanAbne

#17331792 - 4 years ago

In reply to RagArk, #17:

Yes you def said it better. They had a scheduled time for everything & seemed like they were always cramming to fit everything in, even when they were discussing a very interesting movie, tv show, etc.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17331801 - 4 years ago

In reply to JoshRyanAbne, #18:

I completely agree. I don't know why they gave themselves the 1hr time slot. Maybe when they come back, they'll have more time. Or perhaps, it will be better structured. I think JJ just needs to cool it and let everyone talk and not try to make it seem crammed in. I also didn't like the way they did ad reads.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17331814 - 4 years ago

Wait, did JJ leave Roosterteeth? I can't find him on the Cast&Crew. When did this happen?

• JoshRyanAbne

JoshRyanAbne

#17331838 - 4 years ago

In reply to RagArk, #20:

Just checked his profile on here & there is a bunch of goodbyes

• LauraLazer

LauraLazer

#17331863 - 4 years ago

In reply to RagArk, #20:

I think so. Cast & Crew has been removed from his profile and he's apparently been favoriting some tweets of people saying goodbye. That's most likely the reason they put Screen Play on hold for now.

• Xeranar

Xeranar

#17331914 - 4 years ago

I watched it pretty regularly and I had zero problems with them talking bad about a film as long as it maintained some form of constructive argument. The issue was for me was that Screenplay became the 'live action crew podcast with JJ' where because the 3-4 guys were always available they were on nearly continuously. Nothing against Blaine but some of his 'dudebro' homophobic remarks on the podcast and elsewhere rub me the wrong way. It all added up to a lack of strong identities outside of JJ who knew how to actually be interesting and humorous on mark.

But I suspect it's going to be scrapped. Without JJ to helm it they have nobody with the kind of in-depth film knowledge to helm it and unlike the Patch which fits into their core video game demographic the movie podcast doesn't. It's a shame to see it go but I would like to see that set return with a varsity podcast setup where the live action guys and others can build again something akin to the Internet Box.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17332187 - 4 years ago

In reply to LauraLazer, #22:

In reply to JoshRyanAbne, #21:

Dang. That sucks. But could that be reason for its cancellation/hiatus? I wonder where JJ's going.

• IQPOK

IQPOK

#17332493 - 4 years ago

In reply to RagArk, #24:

Well JJ still has his own production company that does music videos and commercials and the like so he still has that business which is good. I enjoyed the fact that he was kinda a film snob because it put a lot of great movies on my radar that were outside the major hollywood hits and I probably wouldn't have known about before!