Forums > Screen Play

Screen Play Revamp/Cancellation

Posts (73)

• RagArk

RagArk

#17381394 - 4 years ago

In reply to Spectre08, #53:

One problem, JJ won't be in Screen Play. I don't know the official story, but he's not with RT anymore.

• Spectre08

Spectre08 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17381956 - 4 years ago

In reply to RagArk, #54:

In reply to Spectre08, #53:

One problem, JJ won't be in Screen Play. I don't know the official story, but he's not with RT anymore.

I know, and that's unfortunate. His new thing is pretty good though, but RT should bring him back.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17382796 - 4 years ago

In reply to Spectre08, #55:

What is his new thing? I haven't seen it or heard of it.

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17382827 - 4 years ago

In reply to RagArk, #56:

He started is own podcast. Film Geek Army. I think it's awesome how fast he got back on his feet.

• Spectre08

Spectre08 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17382888 - 4 years ago

In reply to tardweasel, #57:

In reply to RagArk, #56:

He started is own podcast. Film Geek Army. I think it's awesome how fast he got back on his feet.

I wasn't sure what the situation was, if it was cool to name it or link it. I don't know the circumstances under which JJ left.

I will say that I really appreciate how responsive JJ is on twitter. He seems like a genuinely cool guy, and I hope his new podcast is a hit. The 3 episodes so far have been great. Jenny Nulf is killin' it too.

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#17382899 - 4 years ago

In reply to Spectre08, #58:

I don't represent the Rooster Teeth staff or the company in any way, but I don't think they'd have a problem with J.J doing his own thing.

• kriss

kriss FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Community Manager

#17383103 - 4 years ago

In reply to Spectre08, #58:

He's one of my favorite people to follow on Twitter just for that reason =]

• RagArk

RagArk

#17384933 - 4 years ago

In reply to tardweasel, #57:

I didn't know that. That's awesome. Hopefully, we can see him on RT again as special guest or something.

In reply to tardweasel, #59:

I don't think anyone is thinking that. Whenever people hear about cast and crew leaving, some always jump to the conclusion that it's bad blood or something. I hardly doubt that. I think RT is, in some ways, a stepping stone and a destination. Honestly, I didn't know until two years ago, that Marshall left the company for quite some time.

I think the biggest shock for me was Griffon leaving, but she, like JJ, wanted to do her own thing. And that's great. It's just something you don't expect for the cast and crew of RT or any company really. Like when I heard Adam Sessler left Rev3.

• kriss

kriss FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Community Manager

#17385089 - 4 years ago

In reply to UndeadSpider, #62:

Griffon is still around too. Maybe not in the same role she had, but you can mostly likely see her do her thing at RTX. Hope to see JJ as well.

• JeneralArcher

JeneralArcher

#17385467 - 4 years ago

In reply to kriss, #63:

Same. I was looking forward to maybe meeting him.

• IQPOK

IQPOK

#17399201 - 4 years ago

I think that one of the main differences was that Griffon left of her own accord rather than JJ who I believe was let go instead. But it is good that he has made his own podcast in Film Geek Army, which has more or less the same content as Screen Play but without the RT personalities.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17399482 - 4 years ago

In reply to UndeadSpider, #62:

I agree. However, I haven't seen anyone that upset over the lack of comics. It's just one of those things that didn't really go anything farther than it could have.

In reply to kriss, #63:

True. She is around, but she is not part of the company anymore. Nor does she do the comics nor does she appear on the podcast. But, I am glad that she is still involved with the company to some extent.

A bit off topic, but I have a strange theory. Could it be that Screen Play was put on hiatus for two reasons: JJ leaving the company AND Funhaus joining Roosterteeth. Granted, more members shouldn't affect a show, but having four podcasts may be overkill in Roosterteeth's eyes. And given that they have given Screen Play a fair shot and it didn't getting "enough views", they are going to give the Funhaus crew much more attention. Of course this is just a crazy theory. And most likely, Funhaus had nothing to do with the cancellation of Screen Play. Maybe it was the views, maybe it was the format. Maybe people just didn't find film talk that interesting. Just look at the sponsor cuts. Comics and Sports don't have a public release because they know not everyone would watch it.

• JeneralArcher

JeneralArcher

#17399990 - 4 years ago

In reply to UndeadSpider, #68:

I think it was on the subreddit where someone made a good comment that noted how TV networks will have multiple channels with different content that may be similar but still very different, and there's no mindset that you have to watch EVERYthing, ya know? Online there's more of the "watch everything they do" way of thinking but as RT and other content producers merge and grow larger, there's no way to expect all the fans will be on board with eveeerything, and there shouldn't be a negative association with it at all.

I'm interested to see how this plays out.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17401237 - 4 years ago

In reply to UndeadSpider, #68:

I don't know the history of IG. Could you explain more about how them leaving affected Machinima? I have no idea.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17402746 - 4 years ago

In reply to UndeadSpider, #71:

Wow, that sounds shitty. I guess people go where things are popular. That's the industry and that's a means of surviving in such a industry that is the Internet. You have to go with the changes. You have to do new things and leave the old, rotting dying thing alone. It's sad and disappointing that these people left, but its a business in a sense. People want to make money and machinima wasn't doing the job. At least that's how I view it. Not a great view, but its easy to see where people would go and do.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17405694 - 4 years ago

In reply to UndeadSpider, #73:

Oh. That's terrible on Machinima's part then. I suppose its a good thing they got out when they did.

• khurram_89

#17405726 - 4 years ago

In reply to UndeadSpider, #75:

RoosterTeeth used to be partnered with Machinima for a long time as well. I think they split 2 or 3 years ago.

• RagArk

RagArk

#17407994 - 4 years ago

In reply to UndeadSpider, #75:

I haven't given them a listen. I'm not a big fan of Funhaus.

• Spectre08

#17409053 - 4 years ago

I'm officially famous. JJ gave me a shoutout on this week's Film Geek Army podcast and totally mispronounced my name

• Flynn

Flynn FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17410371 - 4 years ago

In reply to RagArk, #78:

I'd give the Inside Gaming Q&As a listen to get more of feel for the Funhaus guys because they're actually really funny. You can also watch this because it's damn hilarious. Give them a chance. RT is getting a TAD stale and I'm loving that my favorite channel has been added

• ITURTLE_13

ITURTLE_13

#17412310 - 4 years ago

Idk what they should add to the show, in my opinion it was great or at least it was good enough for me to watch it every week. to be hounest i miss it, and it was nice to see a diffrent cast in a podcast but still have that rossterteeth feel to it. the show over all was enjoyable and would love to see it up again.

• LollipopHops

LollipopHops FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17414498 - 4 years ago

In reply to AwesomeAdams, #2:

They have always talked about things they don't like. Burnie's busing experiences with his kids? Ryan's hatred of Nintendo? The podcasts are full of bashing.

But I do agree that something as narrow as Movies and TV shows is limiting to mainly criticisms. Video games are an experience, and we often hear about different ways the RT people experienced their game, more than liked or disliked it. The Podcast is super free-form. But yes, Screenplay is about movies and tv, like or dislike.

Perhaps Screenplay could also focus on film production and share stories of the production processes within Rooster Teeth itself. Joel would be great for that too because he could share his Hollywood stories and discuss acting and the other aspects of the screen.

• bmalmquist

bmalmquist FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#17422602 - 4 years ago

In reply to RagArk, #3:

I agree as well. I love the show because im a huge movie buff, but mix up the people on it every once and awhile. Make it a bit more like the podcast by changing up the people a bit, but keep it what it is. JJ is great and he has great insight into film, all the discussions are entertaining! It's awesome, I love listening to it at work, but just change up the people a bit more.