Forums > SideQuest

Transportation to Sidequest

Posts (9)

• Tuuli

Tuuli

#31223435 - 8 years ago

I've been looking around to see if there where any posts about it anywhere, but haven't found anything. How is everyone getting to restaurants, bars, and sidequest events? Plan on meeting up and taking taxi's or something?

• ethankjfan

ethankjfan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold LPL NY

#31223436 - 8 years ago

In reply to katlecall, #1:

I know for me, (for the Sidequest events I am able to go to), I will be renting a car while in Austin.

• Tuuli

Tuuli

#31223437 - 8 years ago

Being under 25, was that hard to do? I was told by lots of people, it's usually more expensive and trouble than it's worth. I'm 21, it's not like I'm a minor, but I guess at least in AZ it's a pain in the ass.

• GB330033

GB330033 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Whoops, looks like somet

#31223438 - 8 years ago

In reply to katlecall, #1:

Austin has a pretty robust bus system that you may consider using. A day-pass will only cost $2, so even if you bought one each day you'd only spend at most $10.

Hopefully either tomorrow or Wednesday I'll be posting maps for each day of Sidequest that will include bus routes to take

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#31223439 - 8 years ago

In reply to GB330033, #4:

The hotel is a bitch to get to on the bus though. Trust me, I know. Plus it looks like there's some tight scheduling and there's no way to make it from the hotel to some of the events in less than an hour and possibly two (the studio tour, for example).

• GB330033

GB330033 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Whoops, looks like somet

#31223440 - 8 years ago

In reply to Abstruse, #5:

Eh, it isn't too bad to walk to Highland Mall from the DoubleTree. Its what, maybe 10 minutes?

Anyway, I'm not talking about getting to/from the official events, I'm talking about the Sidequest events. We haven't scheduled nearly as tightly as the RT staff, so it will be possible to take the bus to/from some of our events. The longest ride is to/from the hotel, but once you're downtown you can get around relatively easy by bus.

But like I said, I'll have maps with all this info available tomorrow or Wednesday.

• Tuuli

Tuuli

#31223441 - 8 years ago

In reply to GB330033, #6:

Ok that's not to bad for bus fare. How late do buses run in Austin?
    The maps and such will be very helpful, I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

• ethankjfan

ethankjfan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold LPL NY

#31223442 - 8 years ago

In reply to katlecall, #3:

I'm a minor so my father is renting the car. Usually when we travel we do that so we can get around at our own discretion.
    (For example: Getting to the panel on Saturday morning early so we can get better seats....)
    That's why we didn't do the shuttle service RT has for us. Just because we assumed it's going to be hard to get on the shuttle.
    Now going to Sidequest, I assume the bus idea would work good for you. (Once GB330033 can get the bus routes for you guys)

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#31223443 - 8 years ago

In reply to katlecall, #7:

It varies GREATLY between routes. Some of them end at 7 PM (though none near the events or the hotel) while some are as late as midnight with special "night owl" routes that run until 8 AM. However, the closest one of those to the hotel is over a mile possibly two (I used to live in that part of town, but that was over five years ago so I'm hazy on fine details).

Basically, the buses and the shuttles will be enough to get you around. A "Day Pass" to ride any bus (aside from the train and "express" routes which are useless for you this weekend because they go out to suburbs) is only $2 and is good for 24 hours from time of purchase. Just remember that the bus drivers have NO change, so keep singles on you. You can find out a lot about the bus routes on the Capital Metro website including a trip planner where you can plug in addresses and times and they'll figure it out. Also, Google Maps can offer directions on public transportation as well and it's just as if not more accurate than the Capital Metro site sometimes. You can also zoom in on the map to find out where bus stops are and get when the next few buses will be at that stop.

And just so you know, the walk from Highland Mall is longer than it looks on the map because you have to cross I-35, which means walking from the bus stop on one end of the mall to the intersection with 2222, cross there, then walk up to the hotel. Personally, I had a lot of luck back in the day using a combination of the buses and cabs. Take the bus to get to or from downtown, then call a cab to get to my specific destination if it'd take too long or too much effort to walk.

Also, if you're in the south part of town (which means south of the Colorado River), find me and ask me what bus route you should take and I can help you navigate if you don't trust the website. I know the southside routes like the back of my hand. It's the ones north of downtown where I start getting hazy.