Forums > SideQuest

What did we do right?

Posts (24)

• GB330033

GB330033 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Whoops, looks like somet

#31224249 - 8 years ago

What went right at SideQuest 2011? What needs to stay the same next year? Why did you enjoy the event? Anything particularly awesome that just needs to be more awesome?

Please be honest with us (You won't hurt our feelings!) and post even if someone has already said what you wanted to say. If a bunch of people say the same thing, then we know it is something we REALLY need to change.

• zaelin25

zaelin25

#31224250 - 8 years ago

As someone who has never been to Austin, and LOVES food, I really appreciated all the local restaurants to try out. We weren't able to go with the group most of the time, but knowing that these were places to try instead of just going to the Chili's next to the hotel, was great.

And the Bar Crawl was awesome... Go Red Team!!

• DoubleBookz

DoubleBookz

#31224251 - 8 years ago

I enjoyed the fact that you put addresses on the itinerary :) It HELPED A LOT!!!!! :)

• noaccounting

noaccounting

#31224252 - 8 years ago

LOVED the Austin food, Bar Crawl was awesome (suck it Reds smiley4.gif ), the people were cool, and the hangovers were tolerable.

BLUE TEAM!

Post edited 6/01/11 9:43AM

• VictorBAMN

VictorBAMN FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#31224253 - 8 years ago

I thought everything about Sidequest was awesome (lunch @ Jackalope's, Amy's Ice Cream, the Bar Crawl, CTF @ the Capitol, etc). If anything, Sidequest would be better if CTF & the Bar Crawl were on different nights just to give the appropiate time to fully enjoy each event. It would have been fun to keep playing CTF that night, but I couldn't say no to the Bar Crawl.

Also, one minor tweak to make CTF awesomer (is that a word?), maybe use color flags (like those for flag football) to help identify the different teams. I think this is something I can help, financially or taking them to RTX, if it would help the awesome people who worked on Sidequest this year.

Other than that, really awesome job guys! If anything, I was under-prepared for the events that Sidequest provided.

KILL THE REDS!!! KILL THE REDS!!! KILL THE REDS!!!

• ozymandias6

ozymandias6

#31224254 - 8 years ago

I LOVED sidequest's bar crawl! Perhaps there should be one next year? And maybe the weekend before or something someone should check the size of the bar to make sure there's enough room for people attending and warn the owners about the size of our groups so they can be prepared as well! As for food, maybe try some hole in the wall places that arent hugely popular with the hipster crowd but still have great food!

Maybe an underager should have a place in planning things for sidequest so you can make sure you have their POV and work together to find things for them to do.

All in all, Sidequest was great!! i met lots of fan-freaking-tastic people! I want to go next year just to see some of you again and participate in Sidequest!

GO REDS BABY!!!!

• SailorTweek

SailorTweek FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTX Head Guardian

#31224255 - 8 years ago

The Highball was AWESOME! What a great way to break the ice on the night before RTX!

Grady and Dom picked some phenomenal places for people to visit!

Next year, I hope to make it a point to go to more Sidequest events! smiley12.gif

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#31224256 - 8 years ago

We need more time! While I didn't really dig all the places, I wish I could've gone to them all and still gotten enough sleep to be functional (which I didn't manage anyway). The locations actually worked out far better than I thought they would originally for getting to/from events to Sidequest. I really didn't expect it to be as easy as it was with the exception of the hotel being in a pain-in-the-ass location for partying.

• Razorx243

Razorx243 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#31224257 - 8 years ago

What side quest stuff heather and i made it to were epic we had alot of fun. And the bar crawl was just a load of fun even though we didnt win. The fact that we had smaller numbers than the other two teams didnt really matter to us we just went with it and had as much fun as humanly possible!!!!

I feel a bit out numbered but GO FREELANCERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• iamjohngalt

iamjohngalt FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#31224258 - 8 years ago

GB330033. Seeing you EVERYWHERE at ALL the events was really a big help IMO. I just felt better knowing that somebody nearby clearly knew what they were doing or where we were going.

I certainly saw Count3D everywhere as well.

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#31224259 - 8 years ago

We need to do an RTX week next time. Wednesday to Wednesday and plan for that. Then we have plenty of time to enjoy the official events while still bouncing around town and seeing everything awesome we have here (and even as a local I enjoyed it because it's fun to see stuff like the Drafthouse and Gourdough's through the eyes of people seeing them for the first time).

• GB330033

GB330033 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Whoops, looks like somet

#31224260 - 8 years ago

In reply to VictorBAMN, #5:

We will have either flags or mesh jerseys or something next time around! The ball is already rolling on that so no worries!

Thanks for all the other feedback! Please keep it coming! We are certainly reading everything here and we'll start planning SideQuest 2012 MUCH earlier than we did this one. Like, starting next week smiley0.gif

• ethankjfan

ethankjfan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold LPL NY

#31224261 - 8 years ago

Loved going out to eat, more places next time? Like actually during the weekend? Such as Friday night food (before party), Saturday night food (between the lot and the CTF), and even Sunday night food (between the shoot and the pool party)
    I was just going around with just me and my +1 going places to eat. It would be more fun with more RTX'ers!
    Just a suggestion, I guess it all depends on the official schedule though.
    You guys did awesome though!

• GB330033

#31224262 - 8 years ago

In reply to ethankjfan, #13:

The thing is, our policy was that we didn't want to put people in the position of picking between RTX events and SideQuest. This may not be possible in the future, so it may change. However, we REALLY don't want people to have to pick one or the other. One idea we have had is publishing a list of "SideQuest Approved" locations that we may not be able to actually schedule events for. We'll (probably) be too large for several of the places we went this year, so that might be the only way some people get to experience some of that awesome food!

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#31224263 - 8 years ago

In reply to GB330033, #14:

BTW, Highball allows you to rent the place out for private events. No idea how much it costs, though, but maybe we could do a group fund or something to offset renting out places. Anyone know how to set up a non-deductible nonprofit?

• GB330033

#31224264 - 8 years ago

In reply to Abstruse, #15:

I'm well aware

• BlackPenguin

BlackPenguin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Guardian x9; Panel Lead

#31224265 - 8 years ago

In reply to Abstruse, #15:

Trust me, that's a whole big can of worms. When we tried to organize RvBTX, we reached out to them. A full venue rental during the evening on a Saturday is $10,000. That's right, TEN THOUSAND! THATS OVER 9000!!! You should be able to rent portions though, those prices are really negotiable.

Also, setting up a non profit is a bitch (they are 2 kinds).

• Boomer

Boomer FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTX London Head Guardian

#31224266 - 8 years ago

the variety was great...many different things to do across the weekend meant there was something for everyone.

was also a good idea having events building up to RTx, particularly for those out-of-towners who will inevitably turn up early...not only allows us to get to know the area, but also the locals who will most likely be our ride/guide for the weekend.

• ethankjfan

ethankjfan FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold LPL NY

#31224267 - 8 years ago

In reply to GB330033, #14:

That makes sense then. Those times I mentioned, I went to places that the rest went on like Wednesday and Thursday while I wasn't there. Those were my "Sidequest Approved" locations. (Like Gourdoughs, Home Slice, Amy's, etc)

• Abstruse

Abstruse

#31224268 - 8 years ago

In reply to BlackPenguin, #17: Also, setting up a non profit is a bitch (they are 2 kinds).
    I know, but it's the easiest way I can think of to set up something to allow people to pitch in money without having the worries of "I'm giving $100 to a random stranger with no guarantee of what it's going to be used for". I figured a non-tax-deductible nonprofit would be the best way to set that up over say an LLC or something like that.

• Jdwagner

Jdwagner

#31224269 - 8 years ago

Playing Capture the Flag was one of the best parts of the weekend. I loved it.

• speed0012

speed0012

#31224270 - 8 years ago

I loved the CTF game would have been nice if we could have played in the open field, but that could not be helped. The only thing I can think of to improve the game would be for one team to have mesh penny jerseys or something like that because the tag, no tag did not work well. In addition, a better establishment on rules and borders because most games I play there is a 5-10 yard courtesy buffer between flag/jail and defender, but in this game I saw players sitting right on top of the flag basically hiding it. At least to me this ruins the spirit of the game and makes it less enjoyable.

• pyrotiger05

pyrotiger05

#31224271 - 8 years ago

Highball was fantastic, I was bummed about Gourdough's (but what can you do?)

Loved Jackalope's, but the bar crawl was my favorite. I loved the bar crawl because we got to go to so many places and they were really varied.

There was a lot of sidequest stuff I didn't do, but everything I did make it to was awesome ^_^ smiley12.gif

pyrotiger054de68a073cfe0.jpg

Red Team: WINNING!

Post edited 6/04/11 3:40PM

• Tuuli

Tuuli

#31224272 - 8 years ago

Highball night was cool, especially being so closed to such delicious doughnuts <3 And the Bar crawl! I sadly didnt get to hit many food places due to transportation, but Im sure all of it was rad!