Forums > Technical

Problem with Yahoo Messenger

Posts (21)

• mikomi_akari

mikomi_akari

#2977268 - 13 years ago

It started like 3 days ago. I can send message but I can't receive them most of the time. Every once in a while I can send and receive fluidly. Otherwise, I have to sign out and sign back in again to see the messages. I have un-installed, re-installed. deleted re-downloaded. restarted. system restored. It's still doing it. If anyone has any ideas I appreciate it. By the way, I'm on ethernet behind a firewall. The thought that has occured to me that it may just be the connection.

• teh_pwner

teh_pwner

#2979552 - 13 years ago

use trillian...it combines yahoo,msn,and aim all in one messenger. Also make sure you dont have a firwall

• comrade693

comrade693

#2979898 - 13 years ago

In reply to teh_pwner, #2:

Had you read the rules, you would have read rule 4. e.:

The first answer to most questions IS NOT:
    Go buy a _______________ (different brand)
    Go download Firefox and use it instead.
    Go download __________________ instead.

---------------------------------------------------

Now, to answer the problem:

Chances are, your router isn't forwarding something properly. Do you have access to the admin page?

• mikomi_akari

mikomi_akari

#2979946 - 13 years ago

I've always been behind a firewall and I've never had this happen before. It doesn't happen all the time either. I downloaded Trillian last night but it won't connect yahoo for some reason.

And I don't think I have access to the admin page and if I wanted something else I would've downloaded it allready.

• whatisboom

whatisboom

#2980109 - 13 years ago

In reply to comrade693, #3:

I am with comrade on this one. Where are you (IE School (college), home)? Can you gain access to this router admin page?

Although I take that back, if it works sometimes.

• mikomi_akari

mikomi_akari

#2982723 - 13 years ago

In reply to midas, #5:

I'm on a college campus, so I probably wouldn't have acess to the page.

• wizbang2

wizbang2

#2983832 - 13 years ago

In all likelihood, your college IT services are run by a bulging Hefty bag of douche runoff. Most are; mine certainly is.

What's probably happening is that they've placed heavy restrictions on bandwidth usage by IM clients. During heavy traffic hours, you'd get so little server time that messages to you time out and don't reach you. There's generally a lot less upload traffic, so your outgoing messages get through with no problem.

If it's possible to change the port that Yahoo uses, that might fix it.

• Sturdius

Sturdius

#2985539 - 13 years ago

ok, i know i'm not supposed to suggest another product and not answer your real question, but i'm doing it anyway. Gaim has always been good to me. It is basically the same thing as trillian, because it lets you use google talk, aim, icq, yahoo, msn, and probably whatever other instant messaging program you can think of. plus, it's open source, so you know you won't get any spyware or stuff. try that, i hope it works.

• comrade693

comrade693

#2985659 - 13 years ago

He's having more of a network issue than anything else it seems.

• Sturdius

Sturdius

#2985958 - 13 years ago

well, i figured based on his previous replies, but that can't stop me from whoring a good piece of software, can it?

• ChiMan

ChiMan

#2987658 - 13 years ago

You may want to see if it's something related to your Yahoo profile. Have you tried using it with another Yahoo ID to see if you have the same problem? They you'd know for sure if the problem was related to your account or not.

Post edited 12/04/05 5:39AM

• mikomi_akari

mikomi_akari

#2989013 - 13 years ago

I only use one ID, so I hadn't thought to try another name. As for GAIM. I did download Trillian, but I couldn't get yahoo to work on it, either. Yahoo seemed to working last night. Anyway, thanks for the help guys. Oh, and by the way, I'm not a 'he'.

• comrade693

comrade693

#2989182 - 13 years ago

In reply to mikomi_akari, #12:

My bad...it's a bad assumption I often make in this paticular forum.

• wizbang2

wizbang2

#2989680 - 13 years ago

ok, i know i'm not supposed to suggest another product and not answer your real question, but i'm doing it anyway.

Oh, well, if you know you're breaking the rules, it's okay.
    -----------------------------------
    I'm not exactly sure how to do this, but I bet it'll start working if you locally block port 5050 and make YIM automatically shift to port 80.

• mikomi_akari

mikomi_akari

#2993120 - 13 years ago

It's okay, I just wanted to clear that up ^ ^. As for the port thing, we're not supposed to have use them, so I don't think that's it, but I can try it. Thanks.

• wizbang2

wizbang2

#2993162 - 13 years ago

As for the port thing, we're not supposed to have use them, so I don't think that's it

Actually, if you're not supposed to be using instant messengers, that's almost certainly it, and locally blocking port 5050 is sounding more and more likely to work.

• mikomi_akari

mikomi_akari

#2995026 - 13 years ago

No, we can have the messengers. We're not supposed to have to use ports. That's what I meant. Sorry.

• comrade693

comrade693

#2995258 - 13 years ago

In reply to mikomi_akari, #17:

Any data transfered over the internet has to come and go from some port. Simple fact of life.

• mikomi_akari

mikomi_akari

#2995782 - 13 years ago

That may be, but as far as I know, we're not supposed to have to worry about it anymore.

• wizbang2

wizbang2

#2995827 - 13 years ago

You lost me. I think you lost everyone.

• mikomi_akari

mikomi_akari

#2998856 - 13 years ago

Sorry, I'm no good at all the techie stuff, obviously. I went and looked on the connection tab. There is a port listed, but it's not enabled. Computing services told us when they switched services, that we didn't have to worry about enabling them or having a proxy setting anymore. I'm not saying that we still don't have a port or whatever. I'm saying that if we do, I can't change it.