Forums > Technical

Sony Walkman Atrac issue

Posts (19)

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#3484079 - 13 years ago

Well my grandmother recently purchased a little sony walkman mp3 player thing. It comes with this software to convert mp3s to atrac files, but I dont want to install it because it probably has a rootkit or a virus on it because Sony is even worse than Microsoft. Well I was wondering if there is any 3rd party software (preferably open source) that will allow me to convert the music and transfer it to the device easily. Thanks!

• danath34

danath34

#3484160 - 13 years ago

a big corperation like sony will not install a virus on your comp... it wont install any malware, or they would get lawsuit after lawsuit... sony is known as crap because their products break, not install viruses.... go ahead and use the one u have.

• Ha2master

Ha2master

#3484202 - 13 years ago

In reply to EnterDaMatrx, #1:

I have the exact same thing. Trust me, the only way to put music on it is to install the program because the player can only read files in ATRAC3 format. Yes I hated to install it but it's the only way. No there is no viruses on it.

• MrCrow

MrCrow

#3484203 - 13 years ago

In reply to danath34, #2:

too right

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#3484207 - 13 years ago

Yeah, they sent out viruses with all their CDs. You didnt hear about that? The Rootkit thing. Jesus. Im paranoid as hell about my computer no way Im installing some sony software.

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#3484232 - 13 years ago

Whatever, Im installing the Sony software in a virtual machine environment. That way I can contain the virus. What a pain in the ass.

• Ha2master

Ha2master

#3484253 - 13 years ago

In reply to EnterDaMatrx, #5:

Unless you find another program somewhere else that can convert the files then you're screwed. The thing refuses to play them in mp3 format.

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#3484380 - 13 years ago

This is total balls. It wont let me add any music unless I delete the music that's on there. Anyone have a fix? God this is worse than apple.

• Samobot5

Samobot5

#3484408 - 13 years ago

In reply to EnterDaMatrx, #5:

Yeah, they sent out viruses with all their CDs. You didnt hear about that? The Rootkit thing. Jesus. Im paranoid as hell about my computer no way Im installing some sony software.

Jesus, you are paranoid!

• Shike

Shike

#3484705 - 13 years ago

Just don't run any Sony BMG CD software and you'll be fine from the infamous rootkit. What I would be more worried about is how shit the Sony Walkman line of MP3 players is. No joke, read about 10 reviews and you get the drift.

Wasn't there a firmware update that finally allowed their players to play MP3?

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#3484723 - 13 years ago

No, its true. See: www.boingboing.net/2005/11/14/sony_anticustomer_te.html

The rootkit was sent along with their audio cds as a DRM solution. It installed a driver that wouldn't allow their CDs to be copied. The rootkit was hidden and opened a vulnerability that allowed execution of arbitrary code. Also it couldn't be removed, at least not easily. The rootkit infested thousands of computers even military and government computers. Even Microsoft commented that it was a bad business practice. This is why I dont want fucking sony software on my computer. Sony didnt even get in any shit and they didnt reimburse their consumers.

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#3484735 - 13 years ago

In reply to Shike, #10:

Maybe I should look for some hacked firmware. Like Rocksbox or the like.

• TuRbOlAg

TuRbOlAg

#3484793 - 13 years ago

In reply to EnterDaMatrx, #1:

I ahve an Atrac CD player, and there is no worry there. I think I disabled a few autoload things you don't really need, but it works just fine and dosen't affect my computer any.

And atrac kicks ass. With the most compression, I fit over thirty hours of music on one CD.

• Shike

Shike

#3484836 - 13 years ago

Atrac sounds like shyte, complete and utter shyte. Really, ask any portable player reviewer.

EnterDaMatrix, any idea what model it is by chance?

• Ha2master

Ha2master

#3484947 - 13 years ago

In reply to Shike, #14:

If it's the same as mine then it's the Sony Network Walkman NW-S23.

#3485196 - 13 years ago

I know what you mean.
    My friend just got a Sony MP3 player (not intentionally, he was replacing an old one under warranty, and was given a Sony), and the SonicStage software refuses to even run on his old Windows ME system. He tried it on my laptop (Ironically, a Sony VAIO), and it would run, and I could transfer music, but it was really laggy and crashed a few times.

The best part is that because of the OpenMG files it uses, when it crashes you get an OMG ERROR. smiley0.gif

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#3485261 - 13 years ago

Nevermind I got it working. On the Sony download page theres a little utility (like less than a mb) and its very simple and you just drag the files and it works. So tahts good. Deleted sonic stage or wahtever. Um, otherwise I'd say that this was far too much trouble, especially for normal people.

• Gnostic

Gnostic

#3485628 - 13 years ago

Yup. But run the mp3 file transfer porgram OFF the device, NOT off your PC. Otherwise it cannot play the files.
    (For ME users esp)

• EnterDaMatrx

EnterDaMatrx

#3485636 - 13 years ago

Yes. It installed that way. Works nicely.