Forums > Technical

Internet Explorer 7

Posts (20)

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4188519 - 13 years ago

Ok people.. I searched for one and didn't find one but I find it hard to believe there isn't one. So if this thread already exists my bad and will someone please lock it.

If not...

I just downloaded the Beta of IE7 and I like it very much so far. Of course I have not played with any "advanced" features yet. However if it has form fill I think I will be able to get rid of the MSN toolbar I have and just use the broswer. I have created a list of pros and cons for my first impressions (more later or feel free to post your own)
    PROS:
    Native support for tabbed browsing
    Slick intuitive user interface
    is it just me or does text (on webpages) look sharper?
    RSS feed support

CONS:
    Still need other application for desktop search
    Despite sleek design having the "stop" and "refresh" button away from the "home" button may take some getting used it.
    Despite slick

• Jonus

Jonus

#4188661 - 13 years ago

Sounds like Microsoft is just trying to keep up with Firefox.

Does it have it's own bui;t in pop-up blocker?

• SniperWolf

SniperWolf

#4188689 - 13 years ago

Yes it does have its own popup blocker, most of the features already exist in firefox. Not sure if the Anti-Phishing feature works, (im not willing to risk it). Slimmed down UI is nice though.

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4188737 - 13 years ago

Yes most of them do exist in firefox but I had a lot of trouble with firefox. It could not be used to verify my copy of windows (required for licensed ebooks and certain windows updates) and it could not be used with Wal-Mart music downloads Also firefox favorites won't sync to my pocket pc. Hence I use IE but if I can get all the features of firefox and have it work with everything else I do I am one happy camper.

*goes to check anti-phishing tool*

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4188782 - 13 years ago

I could not find any web sites posing as other sites.. I might need to get more creative.
    A few of the ones I tried:
    www.ebey.com
    www.viza.com
    www.paypai.com
    www.paypal2.com

They were all either non-existant or legitimate sites for other things (ebey.com being a kind of spammy/ad infested site but ity was not trying to pass itself off as ebay)

• Jonus

Jonus

#4188793 - 13 years ago

In reply to duncan_stive, #4:

Yes, that's the one downside of FF: Microsoft doesn't like it so it won't let it be used to update it's products. They're tricky that way.

• Hobo_geek

Hobo_geek

#4188814 - 13 years ago

In reply to duncan_stive, #1:

cough.......cough

Remember to search the archieve......

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4188862 - 13 years ago

In reply to Jonus, #6:

Indeed they are.. Of course I have never been sure why both those companies fight so vigoriously for dominance.

News flash guys: THEY ARE BOTH FREE PRODUCTS!

I mean MS should LOVE firefox... they took the responsiblity away from MS to put a lot of work into their browser and made a killer app for guess what OS? MS wins either way...

Still I don't think that those drawback are ENTIRLY due to MS "now liking" firefox... Since it is not under their control they do not know when an update or other change will come along that will make their products not work with it and nesecitate an update to these producs and when they stop working it might make MS look bad or make its products seem less appealing. Better to ship with a decent browser they know they control so it will always work.

• Hobo_geek

Hobo_geek

#4188959 - 13 years ago

In reply to Hobo_geek, #7:

cough.......cough

Remember to search the archieve......

There is a link in between the two coughs however i forgot to put in a better link name...soz guys..

Internet Explorer 7 thread made a year ago...

• Phopojijo

Phopojijo FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#4188969 - 13 years ago

Because if Firefox dies -- there'll be no commercial-grade browser for Linux.

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4188987 - 13 years ago

Hmm... last post two months ago... I wonder will anyone be mad if I bring it back up? Also its kind of messy and nasty.... oh well. Someone can send this to a mod and see what they think... I have to run to a meeting now but maybe I will when I get back....

• dingolord

dingolord

#4189294 - 13 years ago

In reply to duncan_stive, #11:

I'll tell ya what. Go look in The Rules Thread, in that nice little linky section there, and tell me what you think a mod would think.

That link's been there for months.

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4189316 - 13 years ago

In reply to Phopojijo, #10:

Yeah that would kind of suck. Does Linux not have its own browser built in?

• Jonus

Jonus

#4189367 - 13 years ago

In reply to duncan_stive, #13:

there a few different ways to browse using Linux, just not corporate ones (except for Firefox). I'm using "Links" right now to browse, but ti's just a text based internet browser... it has no images. If I have to I use Firefox, but I use Links while I'm at work so people can't tell I'm browsing.

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4189420 - 13 years ago

In reply to Jonus, #14:

Wow.. tha must take some getting used to...

Back to topic: anyone else used the IE7 beta? Thoughts? Features that should be added?

• dingolord

dingolord

#4189475 - 13 years ago

In reply to duncan_stive, #15:

You obviously missed my post. I'll point you back to it.

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4189495 - 13 years ago

In reply to dingolord, #16:

No.. I have certainly read the rules before anyway... Though I did not and still do not see anything on bringing old threads back to life. Also there seems to be a discussion kind of starting up so I am going to hold off on messaging a mod anyway...

• dingolord

dingolord

#4189550 - 13 years ago

In reply to duncan_stive, #17:

The point is, if you're going to restart a discussion, just start it in the old thread. The point is to be organized.

And, really, if the frickin RULES THREAD links to it as one of the official threads, why do you seem to think that we'd want another one instead?

• duncan_stive

duncan_stive

#4189579 - 13 years ago

WOW... I totally missed that one.. Sorry guys... </brain fart> <hopefully>

• RedPhantomX

RedPhantomX

#4190454 - 13 years ago

Firefox Pwns Internet Explorer!