Forums > Technical

Computer Monitor or HDTV? Is there much

Posts (15)

• RocketR

RocketR

#6015724 - 12 years ago

I am in the market for getting a new HD display to play my Xbox 360 on. I've been searching around and there are a ton of options out there, but I am somewhat limited to price. I'd rather not spend more than about one grand. Also, this will be for the bedroom so a not too small and a not too large of TV's is what I am looking for. Here are two options I found:

A Samsung LN-S2651D 26" which is an LCD HDTV. It has a very nice contrast ratio which is key in video games from what I can tell. It also has some HDMI inputs for the future smiley1.gif . The max resolution on this is 1366 x 768.

The other is a Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP Wide-Screen Flat Panel Monitor. This has quite a few connections for a computer monitor with VGA, DVI, and Component connections for example. This monitor has a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 with a contrast ratio of 1000:1 (compared to the Samsung's 4000:1). My problem with this is, I have heard mixed reviews about the connections. They are either very good or really bad. Also, will this LCD display in 1080p (which I prefer to the 720p of the Samsung) or even 720p for that matter?

If anyone has any information that may help, it will be much appreciated.

• wussie

wussie

#6015849 - 12 years ago

In reply to RocketR, #1:

that computer monitor is actually a 16:10 aspect ratio, but it should work for 1080i, and possibly 1080p Another thing you could think about is purchasing a CRT based HDTV, I have a 30" widescreen model that is capable of 1080i, and has a max resolution of 1920x1080, only set me back 600 bucks.

• RocketR

RocketR

#6015875 - 12 years ago

In reply to wussie, #2:

I originally looked for a CRT TV but most only upscale to 1080i rather than my preference, which is 720p. Also, you can't find too many CRT HDTV's on the market anymore.

• PrincessNybo

PrincessNybo

#6019205 - 12 years ago

If you pick up a Microsoft HDAV cable, it will unlock certain "hidden" resolutions your Xbox 360.

Essentially, it's just scaling the image to suit the monitor, as the Xbox 360 will render everything internally at 720p, but it will make the picture on a monitor look nice and crisp. Here are the resolutions "unlocked" by the HDAV cable.

DSC00611.JPG

The top resolution is 1280 x 1024. All of the "widescreen" options are actually lower resolutions, but my guess is that the 1280 x 1024 resolution is probably upscaled anyway, so you're not losing much.

There are third-party cables that claim to support even higher resolutions, but they're much more expensive, and I'm not sure they do anything but upscale the image in the same way the monitor would on its own. *shrug*

In any case, you're probably not going to get the full benefit of a 1920 x 1200 resolution display on an Xbox 360, but if you'd like to use a monitor instead of an HDTV, that cable will let you come as close as possible to the monitor's native resolution.

• RocketR

RocketR

#6019275 - 12 years ago

In reply to PrincessNybo, #4:

Thanks for the input. It helped clear somethings up. Another thing I have, does anyone have any experience with running the Xbox 360 on both a Monitor and a HDTV? If so, was there any difference of quality between the two that one might could tell? Thanks again everyone

• MrEvil

MrEvil

#6027379 - 12 years ago

HDTVs suck as computer monitors. They have low resolutions when compared to a similarly sized computer monitor....however they are significantly cheaper (due to the lower pixel density). I'd say if this is going to be on your desk you'd benefit more from the 24" Dell.

• RocketR

RocketR

#6031745 - 12 years ago

I'll probably use it as both, because the Dell doesn't have a tuner so I won't be watching any Cable TV on there. I've always just wondered why HDTV's look so much better than some computer monitors even though they have smaller resolutions.

• z0dE

z0dE

#6031853 - 12 years ago

In reply to RocketR, #7:

Tell you the truth, I don't think they do... Most TV signals are interlaced, making it technically half the resolution. 1080i is 1080 lines but 540 are interlaced from the line above and below it, it creates a bleeding image on High def stuff. 1080p is 1080 lines in a progressive scan, meaning the entire picture is read from the signal. Hence the postfix after the number.

Your standard monitor will have a higher resolution image and a smaller dot pitch than an HDTV. Best TV I have ever seen is a Samsung Lcos technology TV on an Dual HDMI interface, but it was calibrated right. Tell you the truth, its image quality is about the same as the Apple 30 inch Dual Link DVI LCD. Given both of those Monitors are above 2000 dollars. With the Samsung topping at the 3500 mark.

Your standard non HDTV is 480i resolution I believe.

• RocketR

RocketR

#6057260 - 12 years ago

Do you want a small dot pitch and large pixel density? Or is it better to have a large dot pitch and smaller pixel density?

• z0dE

z0dE

#6075646 - 12 years ago

In reply to RocketR, #9:

Essentially the same thing, Monitors are measured more in Dot pitch, TV's are measure more in Pixel Density.

• PrincessNybo

PrincessNybo

#6076886 - 12 years ago

In reply to RocketR, #9:

Essentially, the dot pitch is the size of each pixel, and the pixel density is the amount of pixels. A large display with a low pixel density is going to be a lower resolution than a display with a high pixel density.

Just look for displays that have the resolution you want and the size you need. You'll be fine. smiley8.gif

• Cypros

Cypros

#6077173 - 12 years ago

well if you go to www.newegg.com and look at the company Syntax they have some good ones that are cheap but none have 1080p but not many games now support that.

• RocketR

RocketR

#6079178 - 12 years ago

I'll mainly be using it for games but I plan to maybe watch some HD-DVD's (or Blu-Ray's, we'll see) on there as well.

• z0dE

z0dE

#6085305 - 12 years ago

Wired.com just did a review of the best TV's for this holiday season. The link is here

If you are looking at TV's I would suggest any TV from the Sharp Aquos Series. The 90U is the flagship, but the 72U ( or somewhere around there) is the Midrange and the only difference in the two series are the amount of inputs (which are still plentiful)

• Cheddarbek

Cheddarbek

#6085649 - 12 years ago

I dunno if it'll help too much, but you might check this out