Forums > Technical

Optical Drives Don't Open

Posts (12)

• HaloPenguin

HaloPenguin

#6639177 - 12 years ago

I built a PC yesterday for a friend, and all was going well. When I finished building it, I encountered several MAJOR problems. The first problem was that it would go to the motherboard welcome screen, ask me to hit DEL to enter setup, and freeze after I hit DEL. I figured that one out. Then, I finished configuring the BIOS, and it rebooted. When it asked me to put the OS disk in the optical drive, the "shit hit the fan" so to speak.. Neither disk drive will open when connected to the IDE controller on the motherboard. Standing alone, they'll open just fine. Any suggestions?

Specs:
    ASUS A8N--SLI Premium motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (Socket 939)
    420 Watt PSU
    ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 video card
    2x 512mb Kingston ValueRam
    3 1/2" floppy (can't remember exacts on this one)
    200gb Western Digital SATA hard drive
    ASUS DVD-ROM drive (IDE - Master)
    ASUS DVD-RW drive (IDE - Slave)

I've tried everything I know to try.. PLEASE HELP ME

• Strider165

Strider165

#6641334 - 12 years ago

In reply to HaloPenguin, #1:

Wait, so they work fine by when only one is attached, but when two are, it doesn't? Sounds like a weak power supply.

• HaloPenguin

HaloPenguin

#6642101 - 12 years ago

In reply to Strider165, #2:

No, they both work when there not connected to the IDE input on the motherboard. I've got them set as the master and slave, but individually, they still don't work when connected to the IDE input. With power from the supply to them together, but not connected to the motherboard, they both open.

Is that any more clear?

• ACiDaRiS

ACiDaRiS FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#6656378 - 12 years ago

you stated the hard drive is SATA, do you know how the bios distinguishes between SATA and IDE? For example, some motherboards replace the primary IDE channel with 2 SATA channels if you are using both. (anything connected to the primary IDE channel in this case will not be recognized, or accessable). I would suggest changing IDE channels, and making sure bios recognizes the drives. If not, try connecting them alone (disconnect SATA hard drive). You should also look to make sure that there isn't a setting in the bios that is set to "sata only."

• Strider165

Strider165

#6657415 - 12 years ago

In reply to HaloPenguin, #3:

Do they work when only one is plugged in?

• Turiya

Turiya

#6657963 - 12 years ago

In reply to HaloPenguin, #1:

This won't solve your problem, but it is a workaround..... You could put the disc in the drive with the IDE disconnected, then reconnect the drive, and boot that way.

As for resolving the problem, have you tried updating to the latest BIOS? It could also possible be a firmware issue with the optical drives themselves.

• HaloPenguin

HaloPenguin

#6658159 - 12 years ago

In reply to Strider165, #5:

No. I tried that one. It's completely messed up. I'm looking through the BIOS one more time.. It's driving me nuts.

• Strider165

Strider165

#6658334 - 12 years ago

In reply to HaloPenguin, #7:

Are they being recognized in the BIOS when they're both connected?

• HaloPenguin

HaloPenguin

#6661729 - 12 years ago

In reply to Strider165, #8:

Neither optical drive is being recognized in the BIOS. I tried disconnecting the SATA hard drive, and the BIOS still didn't recognize the IDE port at all. I tried moving them to the secondary IDE port, and I tried to separate them. No dice. I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware, but thus far, I'm still at a loss. The floppy drive can be recognized by the BIOS and the hard drive can be. More ideas?

• Turiya

Turiya

#6664195 - 12 years ago

If the drives don't recognize in BIOS, then you won't be able to update the frimware on them..... This is starting to sound like a jumper setting issue. It could also be a bad cable or bad drives. Can you give us the actual models of the drives, and pics of how the jumpers are currently configured?

• HaloPenguin

HaloPenguin

#6668976 - 12 years ago

I'll get right on that. I should have something posted by some time tomorrow night.

• ACiDaRiS

ACiDaRiS FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#6672732 - 12 years ago

also, look for something in the bios that designates ATA devices. Occasionally, a bios will disable IDE channels when SATA is needed, and you must specifically specify to use both.