Forums > Technical

freezes at boot

Posts (23)

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8165447 - 12 years ago

My computer has been freezing on me at boot, when it shows the Windows XP screen the blue bar goes across the screen for about 3-4 minutes then it will simply stop and freeze on me, sometimes I am lucky and it will continue to the log in screen.
    I have already formated all my hard drives and reinstalled windows but this problem is still occuring.

my computer specs are:
    Asus k8nv delux motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 2.2 CPU
    three maxtor hard drives
    BFG Geforce 7600 GT

any help is greatly appreciated

• Strider165

Strider165

#8165918 - 12 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #1:

Are you overclocking at all?

Did it ever work?

Can you boot in safe mode?

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8165995 - 12 years ago

my system isnt overclocked, i can boot to safe mode, and right now i was lucky enough to get my computer to boot up properly.

• Strider165

Strider165

#8166135 - 12 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #3:

So it's booting now alright?

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8166300 - 12 years ago

I just restarted my computer, it took about 2 minutes 30 seconds to get to the log in screen but it worked

• wizbang2

wizbang2

#8173689 - 12 years ago

Run a checkdisk on all drives with both checkboxes checked.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8189061 - 12 years ago

I ran it on the C drive, but after it finished i tried to log into windows and it froze up on me. i also tried unplugging all my hard drives and tried to load up Knoppix but it froze on me also.

• wizbang2

wizbang2

#8190300 - 12 years ago

i can boot to safe mode

I missed this earlier and it's a huge flag. It usually means that one or more of your peripherals is malfunctioning. Have you disconnected everything that isn't absolutely essential to startup and tried booting normally? Pull it all: USB, PCI cards, any drives you're not booting from, etc.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8200730 - 12 years ago

I unplugged the DVD drives and hard drives not needed for boot and it booted up perfectly, but when I put them back in I got another normal boot up, so this is still confising me.

• Hockeypuck

Hockeypuck

#8201041 - 12 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #9:

Does it still work through a few boot-ups? It's possible some peripheral wasn't seated correctly and it was causing the freezes, making the fix reseating those cables.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8202418 - 12 years ago

it freezes on random boot-ups, I hit the reset button and hope windows boots properly that time

• Hockeypuck

Hockeypuck

#8203962 - 12 years ago

Well, if you remove your peripherals one by one you can narrow down which one is causing the problem.

Pulling all non-essential things helps a little bit, but you'd have to narrow it down.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8236750 - 11 years ago

I'm not sure whats going on, but for the past few days I've been getting perfect boot ups, although I haven't modified anything.

• Strider165

Strider165

#8236791 - 11 years ago

A cable to the hard drive may have been loose or something. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it happens again.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8251508 - 11 years ago

It froze on me at boot again, so I decided to test each device again. When I got the the Cd burner the boot time increased from about 45 seconds to 2 minutes, the ame with the DVD drive

• WindowsRules

WindowsRules

#8252118 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #15:

How are these devices connected?

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8252243 - 11 years ago

I had the DVD drive set as the master and the CD burner set as the slave

• WindowsRules

WindowsRules

#8255663 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #17:

You are 100% sure that they are connected together on the same cable and that one is slave and one is master?

• Strider165

Strider165

#8256099 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #17:

The hard drive isn't on the same cable, is it?

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8276655 - 11 years ago

The DVD drive and CD burner use the same cable and the DVD drive is the master and the burner is the slave.
    the hard drives are SATA so they each have their own cables connecting to the motherboard.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8343180 - 11 years ago

I swapped out my DVD drive for my dads and I got my computer to boot normally, so it was the DVD and CD burner.Im not sure why, but when I plugged in the my DVD drive again It took 2 minutes to boot, and when I put in my dads it took around 40 seconds.

• WindowsRules

WindowsRules

#8346698 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #21:

Did you use a different cable too, or was it the same one?

Either way it looks like some money is gonna have to be spent, believe me I know, I spent a lot of money on stuff which has failed in my computer

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#8508701 - 11 years ago

I finally found the true case of the problem, I updated video drivers on my computer, then when I restarted all essential data was gone from the C drive and programs werent working right (thankfully I had a backup) I decided to reinstall windows on another hard drive and leave the C drive unplugged and unpowered.

now everything on my computer is working properly