Forums > Technical

Cannot Empty Recycle Bin

Posts (8)

• DeeMonstar

DeeMonstar

#8703362 - 11 years ago

This is something that I haven't quite heard of before and any attempt to use Google to get a result has failed, so I'm hoping someone else here has had this issue before.

Anyway, just went to go delete some files and when I go 'Empty Recycle Bin', I get an error telling me that one of the files in there is currently in use which is odd since you can't use files that are in there anyway. What makes it even stranger is that there is no file called Dc1816 in the Recycle Bin, nor was any of the files I just moved there named that. I've tried rebooting, going into Safe Mode and no dice. I don't really want to re-install XP, though it's long over due.

• KWierso

KWierso AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#8703410 - 11 years ago

In reply to DeeMonstar, #1:

Is it set to show hidden files and folders?

• TheSwmnCello

TheSwmnCello

#8703459 - 11 years ago

When you look at your recycle bin through explorer.exe, they have the pretty names that they originally had - but in reality, the files have names like Dc1816. You're right though, it still shouldn't be in use.

Have you tried deleting the files one by one (or in small groups) to find out which one is the problem?

• wussie

wussie

#8703465 - 11 years ago

ok, a file that cannot be deleted, or found via searching, that is the classic mark of a virus. What is the file extension?

• DeeMonstar

DeeMonstar

#8703484 - 11 years ago

In reply to TheSwmnCello, #3:

Have you tried deleting the files one by one (or in small groups) to find out which one is the problem?

Yeah. I can delete everything inside the Recycle Bin that I can see, so it looks empty but the icon still shows there is something in there and when I go Empty, same error.

ok, a file that cannot be deleted, or found via searching, that is the classic mark of a virus. What is the file extension?

Doesn't say a extension. I originally thought virus before too, but the lack of extension made me think it was a folder gone homo.

Post edited 12/01/07 9:26PM

• khurram_89

khurram_89 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Nerf herder

#8703920 - 11 years ago

Usually I hate giving links for help, but someone else seemed to have the same problem as you, if you can locate the directory of the file for you recycle bin this should work for you. Try it out

• TheSwmnCello

TheSwmnCello

#8704541 - 11 years ago

In reply to khurram_89, #6:

They want him to delete the recycle bin? Yikes. It seems to have worked though, so maybe it's worth a shot.

But if you have the full path to the file (C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-whatever\Dc1816), wouldn't it be easier to just delete that on the command line? Shouldn't even require killing explorer. If you do have the full path, open a command line window and type "del C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-whatever\Dc1816" without the quotes (substituting your own path, of course) and press enter.

Also note that if you follow the instructions in that link, you will empty the recycle bins for all users on the computer.

Post edited 12/02/07 6:28AM

• DeeMonstar

DeeMonstar

#8705102 - 11 years ago

In reply to khurram_89, #6:

Thanks, but it didn't work - it made the problem worse. Now when I move something into the Recycle Bin, it doesn't show up in the Bin, but if I go through C:\RECYCLER\ the files are there and if I manually delete them, the files come back when I close the window.