Forums > Technical

Ram problems

Posts (23)

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9645140 - 11 years ago

I have been getting odd errors recently which when I run certain programs. I believed the problem to be my Ram so I downloaded and ran the most recent version of memtest (I am not experienced in this program though) and tested each stick of ram in my computer; all 4 sticks displayed errors under memtest.
    Even though they all show errors in memtest I can boot to windows with the sticks and windows recognizes the correct amount of ram.
    the error when I tried to run Half Life Source ater it crashed (I cant get other Source games to work either)
    hexerrorln1.jpg
    I can run other games like COD4 or TIberium wars just fine though.

I was getting errors like this a few weeks ago when I had spytbot installed, every time I used teatimer it would display almosty a dozen of these errors. The only new hardware I have on my computer is a new Western Digital 75 gig "My Book"External Hard Drive. I get the errors whether its on or not, and on my Dads Vista computer, his PC freezes while its plugged in but returns to normal when its unplugged.

My Specs:
    Asus A8N32 Delux MB
    4X512MB sticks of Corsair DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    AMD Athlon 64 2.2
    Windows XP X64

• Strider165

Strider165

#9645512 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #1:

If memtest is telling you it's bad memory, chances are it's bad memory. Not much else really to say about it...

• KWierso

KWierso AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#9645629 - 11 years ago

Anything on this list should be a suitable replacement.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9645803 - 11 years ago

I understand that Im going to have to replace the RAM, but Im still curious as to know why all 4 sticks decided to screw up at about the same time and why, even though each are listed as bad in Memtest I can still boot my computer using the sticks.

Also could there be anything else going on with my system?

thanks for the help

• Strider165

Strider165

#9645813 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #4:

It does seem a bit odd. Perhaps the motherboard is going bad and doing funky things to them?

Kind of hard to tell - it's not uncommon for RAM problems to be seemingly minor, though.

• KWierso

KWierso AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#9645824 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #4:

It could only be a small portion of the RAM that's bad on each stick. And it only encounters the bad areas of the sticks when a lot of data needs to be held in RAM.

Or maybe your motherboard's screwy.

Does your system's BIOS have an option for running its own memory tests?

• MrEvil

MrEvil

#9651965 - 11 years ago

Generally, if Memtest says ALL your modules have something wrong with them, it's generally an issue with the memory bus on your motherboard. Could even be a problem with your CPU since AMD builds the memory controller into the CPU.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9652019 - 11 years ago

My BIOS doesnt have an option for running any tests. is there any other method for testing this?

• WindowsRules

WindowsRules

#9654804 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #1:

How old is the RAM?

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9655095 - 11 years ago

there are 4 sticks.
    two of them I bought 2 years ago, then the other two I bought about 10-11 months ago

• WindowsRules

WindowsRules

#9655274 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #10:

If the new ones are what is causing the problem then they might be returnable under warranty.

There is one fool-proof way of finding if it is those that is causing the problem - take them out and put them in a anti-static bag and then see if the problem goes away.

• llcoolbean

llcoolbean

#9704262 - 11 years ago

where do i find drive manager in vista? msg me

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9751240 - 11 years ago

I was playing half life 2 episode 2 when my computer froze one me. i restarted my computer and it wouldnt now it ownt turn on.

the power supply comes on, the CPU fan spins, however the computer does not beep and there is no video or anything.

• WindowsRules

WindowsRules

#9751330 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #13:

I had to re-read your post through the spelling errors, but I understand what has happened now.

Have you had a look inside the computer and made sure that everything is securely mounted?

Do you have a spare PSU which is powerful enough to test in your computer? Just in case the PSU which is already in there has gone wrong. Do NOT try and test it with a PSU which is 100 watts less powerful than that of your original PSU.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9752071 - 11 years ago

Everything is correctly mounted in my computer. I dont have an extra PSU to put into my system.

my current PSU is a rosewill 500 watt PSU

• Strider165

Strider165

#9753700 - 11 years ago

Take out all of your RAM, and rotate between them, putting ONLY ONE stick in at a time.

For example:
    - Pull out all RAM
    - Put stick one into first slot
    - Try to boot
    - If does not boot pull out that stick and replace with stick 2 in first slot
    - Try to boot

etc. etc.

That way you can test your RAM one by one to see if any of them have gone bad.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9754240 - 11 years ago

just tried that. no sticks managed to get the computer to boot. so either all sticks have gone bad, or its something else.

• Strider165

Strider165

#9754289 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #17:

The next step is to pull everything but the bare essentials. Unplug the hard drive, graphics card, any peripheral cards, etc. Pretty much everything except the PSU, the mobo and the CPU. See if that'll get it to beep. Then slowly add things back in and see what causes the problem.

• wussie

wussie

#9755662 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #17:

did you try the sticks in other slots? It could just be that slot is bad, or that bank is bad if you have 4 slots.

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9757019 - 11 years ago

here are the results of pulling everything out and testing them (damn this laptop keyboard)

everything out except CPU, RAM, and MB-4 beeps
    video card-1 beep could get into CMOS
    DVD drive-1 beep could get into CMOS
    Boot drive-1 beep could boot to windows
    internal storage drive-1 beep could access windows
    3rd hard drive-1 beep could access windows
    external hard drive-could access windows

I have no idea why after doing this my computer decided to work.

• Strider165

Strider165

#9757025 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #20:

Things could have gotten shaken loose or something, and going through that process tightened everything up. Either way, I'm glad you got it to work again!

• WindowsRules

WindowsRules

#9762369 - 11 years ago

In reply to NuclearWintr, #20:

That was a nice and thorough job, well done and I am glad you got it working and I agree with the post above mine, sometimes things just want reseating

• NuclearWintr

NuclearWintr

#9768305 - 11 years ago

I ran memtest on my computer again, no errors in the RAM.

I'm not complaining, but I still think its weird.

thanks for the help everyone