Intel i7 system will not boot/post

Posts (13)

• Mav3481

Mav3481

#11960957 - 10 years ago

Here's my specs:
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (x2 - 1 RMA'ed)
    Intel i7 920
    OCZ Fatal1ty Edition – OCZ3F13334GK (2x2GB)
    Sapphire HD3850 512MB
    Antec TP3-550

System does not post/boot with just CPU/MOBO/PSU in. PSU tested with Multimeter and outputs 12V to some rails. Not sure how to test the rest.

• papercup

papercup

#11961331 - 10 years ago

Does it power up at all? Any beeps? Any LEDs on at all? Any fans spinning or even briefly spinning when you hit the power button? Did you connect both the front psu connector near the ram and that little 2x4 power connector back near that big blue heatsink around the cpu (near where it says Ultra Durable). (I'm assuming when you say just cpu/mobo/psu, you also had the ram and video card in).

What'd the first one get RMA'd for?

I'm waiting for the manual to come down so I can peek in it, I'll post a followup shortly.

• papercup

papercup

#11961436 - 10 years ago

A few things I ran across:
    When enabling Dual Channel mode with two modules, it is recommended that memory of the same
    capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory
    modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_4 or DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.

Which slots did you put your two dimm's in?

What about the CLR_CMOS jumper (It is right behind the sata connectors) (if there's a jumper on the pins, take it off).

The F_Panel connectors in the corner near the sata connectors, how do you have that setup (any chance you can take a snapshot of it for us?). The power switch should be going across pins 6 and 8.

• Mav3481

Mav3481

#11961728 - 10 years ago

In reply to papercup, #2:

The System does power up. Fans spin up (2 Sys Fans, PS Fan, CPU fan, Vid Card Fan all spin. The Phase LED's all turn on on the Motherboard.

The 24pin connector is plugged in, the 8 pin connector by the "Ultra Durable" is plugged in as well.

I at first did not have RAM or the Video Card in just to see if I could get any beep code. I did not get a beep code. I RMA'ed the first one because the system did not post, so I figured it was a motherboard issue, but the more and more I look at it, it seems to be a CPU issue. The system *should* give a beep code even with no memory.

I have tried to put both memory modules in the two DIMMS you quoted above. I also tried just one single DIMM in the DDR3_1 slot but that unfortunately did not work either. The CLR_CMOS jumper is not on either of the PINS.

I'm trying to get a picture up, but it does appear that the power connector is across the pins you mentioned (but I can't be positive because I'm not sure of the Pin count.

If the pictures suck...I'm sorry. I'll do better tomorrow.

mobo.jpg

mobo2.jpg

• papercup

papercup

#11961910 - 10 years ago

The bottom picture is pretty good. The cable that is orange and white, that's the one that should be the power button (I can't really read whats on the end connector there). It all looks right to me though. If it's actually powering on when you hit the power button, you've probably got those right.

Ok, without having a second cpu to try, it's hard to troubleshoot whether that's it, but most boards I've had still give beep codes even the proc is bad or missing. You have the speaker connected in the right spot so we should hear *something*.

Did you try using the clr_cmos jumper yet? If not, unplug, shutdown, and give it a shot (if you dont have a jumper, you can just hold the tip of your screwdriver on the two pins to short it for a couple seconds). Take the jumper off before plugging power back in and cross your fingers.

The boards got ok reviews on newegg, but the couple that are ranked low were both DOA boards. You could just be unlucky. One of the DOA people mentioned they also couldn't do anything to get beep codes out of the board when it failed.

What about the psu itself? The one pic I saw didn't have a voltage switch, if yours does, what's it set to? Any chance you can try that psu on another board? A couple review sites mentioned going with a 550W minimum on most i7 setups, but since the i7 was supposed to be more power efficient, I'm not sure if that is even necessary. Regardless, the antec supplies are generally ok; if you can test that one elsewhere that'd at least eliminate it.

• Fhajad

Fhajad Forum Games Moderator

#11962816 - 10 years ago

the 8 pin connector by the "Ultra Durable" is plugged in as well.

What do you mean by this?

When I was building my friends computer, we had to hook an adapter for the 8 pin to a 4 pin onto the mobo. We originally lost the adapter, so we just hooked the right side of the plug into the 4 pins on the board and it worked fine.

Is it possible you have it set different or does your board actually require a 8 pin plug? (I'm trying to download the manual but Gigabyte's server is sucking hard.)

• Mav3481

Mav3481

#11962825 - 10 years ago

What do you mean by this?

When I was building my friends computer, we had to hook an adapter for the 8 pin to a 4 pin onto the mobo. We originally lost the adapter, so we just hooked the right side of the plug into the 4 pins on the board and it worked fine.

Is it possible you have it set different or does your board actually require a 8 pin plug? (I'm trying to download the manual but Gigabyte's server is sucking hard.)

Image....

mobo3power.jpg

• Fhajad

Fhajad Forum Games Moderator

#11962951 - 10 years ago

In reply to Mav3481, #7:

Oh I see, it's an actual 8 pin plug behind it there. I just know when it was plugged wrong from the 8 pins to the 8 connectors, it would do exactly as you said.

Nevermind me then.

• Mav3481

Mav3481

#11989654 - 10 years ago

I have tested the PCIe-x16 card and it works in another system. I have contacted INTEL to have them replace the CPU.

• johnnyricoMC

johnnyricoMC

#11991496 - 10 years ago

is the cpu on the mobo's compatibility list?

• MrEvil

MrEvil

#11997317 - 10 years ago

In reply to johnnyricoMC, #10:

No need, there is only one generation of Core I7 out on the market and it has a different socket from Core 2 CPUs. Pretty sure that any board out currently with LGA 1366 socket is going to support any Core i7 CPU that you can buy at this moment in time.

• johnnyricoMC

johnnyricoMC

#11997636 - 10 years ago

In reply to MrEvil, #11:

true, but you never know :-/

let's just see what happens when the replacement CPU arrives.

• Mav3481

Mav3481

#11997689 - 10 years ago

In reply to MrEvil, #11:

Exactly. Intel is replacing the processor.