Forums > Technical

Intermittent Wireless Connectivity

Posts (9)

• realdeal_55

realdeal_55

#14368360 - 8 years ago

Hey, everybody!

I've been experiencing intermittent connectivity to my Wi-Fi and I'm wondering if you could help me out. It's been good for the last few hours, but I find whenever I think "oh, my connection has been good for longer than usual," that's when it goes out. It'll probably go out as I'm composing this post. :-P

If I attempt a "Diagnose and Repair" through the network connection icon in the tray, I get one of four results:
    1 - Connection was automatically re-established while it was diagnosing, returning a "no problem" message,
    2 - Windows Network Diagnostics returns with an issue which it can resolve on its own,
    3 - WND returns with a message simply saying that it has confirmed a network connectivity issue, but doesn't know what the problem is, or,
    4 - I lose total connectivity for a few minutes and am unable to connect to my network at all.

I know that basically covers the gamut of possible results that WND can have, but there's no way to predict which one will occur. It seems to be fairly sporadic.

I'm using a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter to connect to my Wi-Fi network from my custom-built, desktop computer running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 and Ubuntu 10.10. The issue doesn't present itself as often in Ubuntu.

The drivers for the adapter are up-to-date. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software for it, as well, and that didn't help either.

Any guidance you can provide me with is highly appreciated.

Thanks! :-D

• WindowsRules

WindowsRules

#14368774 - 8 years ago

In reply to realdeal_55, #1:

How far are you from the router?

How many walls are between you and the router?

In either Vista or Ubuntu what does it say the signal strength is?

• realdeal_55

realdeal_55

#14369011 - 8 years ago

I'd say I'm about 25 feet from the router. 2 walls in between the router and my adapter.

The signal strength is usually about 3 bars in Vista and full (or almost full) in Ubuntu.

• rigs19

rigs19

#14369235 - 8 years ago

If this is a new problem, what changed recently? What did you update? If your whole set up is new and presented this problem from the beginning then it's going to be a bit more difficult to solve.

I assume you've already tried power cycling the router and modem? Check whether your computer is set to automatically get an IP addy from the router or if it's assigned manually. I've had to assign it manually for some networks and I never could figure out why.

Also you said the drivers for your wireless adapter are up to date, have you checked if there's a new version of your router's firmware available?

If you've had your set up for awhile and this is a new problem then your best bet is probably to uninstall your wireless adapter's driver and find an older version.

If none of this helps post again with any additional info you can find/think of and we'll try again.

• realdeal_55

realdeal_55

#14369634 - 8 years ago

In reply to rigs19, #4:

Nothing has changed, recently. It worked fine when I moved out here, and then a couple of months in it started doing this. The firmware updated itself once since then, but that didn't solve the problem (however, it didn't seem to aggrivate it, either).

Yes, we've tried power cycling the router and modem. Automatic settings and IP addresses are enabled on my system. Resetting the router tends to make the problem occur less for a bit, but then it gets back up to where it happens regularly.

I'll have to ask the landlord about the firmware for the router; I'll follow up.

• rigs19

rigs19

#14369693 - 8 years ago

In reply to realdeal_55, #5:

Good, also find out the make and model of the router.

You didn't mention that it was your landlord's router and not your own, that makes it more difficult to diagnose since I'd doubt your landlord would let you fiddle with his/her router let alone let me look remotely.

But, I'll do my best. Let us know what you find out.

• DarkangelUK

DarkangelUK

#14401841 - 8 years ago

There's an awesome app for Android (not sure if it's available for iOS but more than likely is) called Wifi Analyzer, it shows you a graph of wireless around you and suggests the best channel for your router that gives you the least interference and strongest signal. I used it for my own router and found a channel that suits best... I can now get flawless wifi upstairs in my house with 0 drop outs.

• rigs19

rigs19

#14402336 - 8 years ago

In reply to DarkangelUK, #7:

^This is win^ I forgot about that app.

• realdeal_55

realdeal_55

#14403162 - 8 years ago

Sorry, I never meant to abandon this thread; I just kinda forgot about it.
    Honestly, it seems to be working fine, now, but I haven't done anything to fix it. If it acts up again, I'll let you know.