Forums > Technical

Editing Software Triggering a Blue Screen Of Death

Posts (4)

• ClassyCorgi

ClassyCorgi

#33123972 - 3 years ago

Okay, so I've been using Adobe Premiere to edit Halo videos and whatnot for a while now without any problems. But recently, whenever I try to import footage or export project, my laptop crashes with a BSoD, with the error message "Video Error TDR". It's happened consistently, even after updating and uninstalling then reinstalling. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

• SnowyGamester

SnowyGamester FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Tech Head

#33124148 - 3 years ago

Basically that means your video driver has stopped responding. This could either be a software issue with the driver itself or how Premiere is interacting with it or it could be your graphics chip overheating or failing. I'd start with doing a clean install of the latest drivers for your chip but if that fails to make a difference then there probably isn't an easy solution.

• ClassyCorgi

ClassyCorgi

#33131470 - 3 years ago

Everything seems to be working fine, but I suspecting that this laptop simply isn't powerful enough to run Adobe Premiere Pro. Any good suggestions for laptops with 8 gigs of ram or higher, that are relatively cheap?

• SnowyGamester

SnowyGamester FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Tech Head

#33131562 - 3 years ago

My methodology would be to go to whatever website you want to buy a laptop from, search "laptop 8gb", order by lowest price first and keep scrolling down until you find one with a decent dedicated graphics chip. Unfortunately good laptops don't tend to be cheap and regardless you could get a dud from any manufacturer which is why everybody has their own opinion on which ones to avoid. Brick and mortar retailers tend to be more expensive (in Australia) but they are also easier to deal with when it comes to warranty. Get extended warranty if it's available because laptops tend to have short lives compared to desktops and it can be worth it if the board goes. Though if I were you and you have the room I'd keep the one you have for using at school and get a desktop for funsies since you get more for less, they're more reliable and easier to repair. Personally I haven't had one since university and wouldn't use it if I had.