Forums > Television

The Event On NBC

Posts (57)

• ShadowStylez

ShadowStylez FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14146381 - 8 years ago

After watching the first episode of the show, I have to say that I was pretty much on the edge of my seat from almost right after "go". It was a real roller-coaster ride and a thrill a minute. I think it would be difficult to maintain that level of energy throughout the season but it will be interesting to see how things unfold.

I like Blair Underwood as President Elias Martinez (he is believable and definitely has the chops for a part like this). And Jason Ritter as Sean Walker is very intense and his character seems driven.

The way the plot unfolds by revealing events from the present, the near past and the far past, makes for an engaging plot device.

I already can't wait for the next episode.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the show? Likes? Dislikes? Pros & cons?

• monopoly_j

monopoly_j

#14146850 - 8 years ago

I'm still up in the air about this.

• LordGodsend

LordGodsend

#14147193 - 8 years ago

The deus ex machina at the end kinda bothered me. It felt like too much of a cop out.

Also, Sarah Roemer is a very talented actress. Physically.

• ShadowStylez

ShadowStylez FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14148077 - 8 years ago

In reply to LordGodsend, #3:

But the deus ex machina is completely unexplained and it wasn't at the end. It is just the beginning. Questions the come to mind: What? The fuck? Just happened? Also, where did they go? Are they still alive? And what does Sophia Maguire know about what happened and what hasn't she told President Martinez yet?

• XtheMonsterX

XtheMonsterX

#14154385 - 8 years ago

Was I the only one who thought there was some thing signifigant about the sign early in the episode that said "It's all happening in Miami"? Maybe I just got LOST on the brain.
    Speaking of which, now we know how all those planes got on the island. Unless Hiro teleported the plane away! <_< >_>

• ch00path1ng4

ch00path1ng4

#14154464 - 8 years ago

A wormhole?
    Over Miami?
    WTF?!

I love this show. ^^

• LordGodsend

LordGodsend

#14167286 - 8 years ago

In reply to ShadowStylez, #4:

My point was that they placed their characters in a position where they couldn't save them without using something supernatural/paranormal, and when the plane just conveniently vanishes it felt like the writers vanishing from the corner they'd written themselves into.

As for the (former) mystery of what happened to the plane, you could see something happening behind the plane before it disappeared. I figured network television isn't ballsy enough to kill off their main characters in the first episode, so I kinda figured something was going to happen to the plane to save the characters. I didn't know specifically what, but when the plane disappeared I felt disappointed, like an opportunity to try something nontypical had become cliche.

• ShadowStylez

#14167669 - 8 years ago

In reply to LordGodsend, #7:

I understand your position, I simply disagree with your view of it. In my opinion, the writers handling of the situation was both creative and clever. If I had been involved (and before I understood the nature of Sophia and her people), I probably would have had Walker shoot his way into the cockpit. Or have Buchanan have a last second change of heart. Hell, the location where the Martinez was staying could have been outfitted with a secret underground bunker capable of withstanding a high magnitude nuclear blast and he could have been rushed into before the plane hit.

Personally, I don't think the writers wrote themselves into a corner, so much as they planned the teleportation of the plane. I realize that the way it was handled doesn't sit right with you but I think it works for the type of show this is. Also, I didn't really watch Lost so I don't have frame of reference for how this might be similar to that show.

• BCBW64

BCBW64

#14168075 - 8 years ago

aliens

• LordGodsend

LordGodsend

#14168754 - 8 years ago

In reply to ShadowStylez, #8:

Don't get me wrong, I do like the show. But I think it would've been gutsy to crash the plane and kill all those characters. It would've been a powerful image, although exploitive of 9/11, but it would've resonated more with audiences because we could all sympathize with them if that had happened. As opposed to now they're in Arizona. Whoop dee doo.

Which brings me to my next point about episode 2. When I saw they landed in the desert, I thought maybe they'd traveled back in time and become the Roswell UFO crash, and thats where the aliens came from. But no, they're in present day Arizona. Whoop dee doo.

As for LOST, I think that show raised the bar for good twists, and none of the The Event twists have met that level of Holy Crap!-ness

• ShadowStylez

#14168982 - 8 years ago

In reply to LordGodsend, #10:

You raise some interesting points but in your first paragraph, I have a problem with your assessment of what "would've been gutsy". If the plane had crashed (intriguing concept, by the way), Walker would've been killed and I'm pretty sure (but not positive), we still need him.

But then you had me with your second paragraph. That would have been some awesome-icing on that cake... seriously.

At any rate, I appreciate your thoughts on the show. I'm pretty easy to please and not very critical of the shows I watch unless the writers are just doing a bunch of downright stupid shit. Then I have to stop watching and move on to something else.

• LordGodsend

LordGodsend

#14169162 - 8 years ago

Crashing the plane wouldn’t necessarily have killed Walker, I mean these “aliens,†if that is what they are, have teleportation technology. They coulda zipped him away, or it could have turned out he was one of them and they can survive firey explosions. Why not. But killing Walker off would have been gutsy because network television won’t go there because the executives believe killing a main character who audiences have invested in for the last hour would be put off and not watch the rest of the series. That’s not true, but the people whose money pays major network shows aren’t known to be risk takers, and want to make their money back on their investment.

And even if had killed off Walker, he still would have to be in the flashbacks. I mean, they have 30 of them every minute. His story would have just become about why he died, instead of why he didn’t die. Also, I think Leila is one of the “aliens,†and possibly one or both of her parents, and that’s why they were attacked and kidnapped. The Sean rescuing Leila storyline seems to be targeted at the younger demographic, but it works because even if the show sucked I would still watch it just to see Sarah Roemer. Wish I had my HD back.

• JayCee

JayCee FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14169423 - 8 years ago

I like that they had the plane zip away for a few reasons.

For one, you get that "i've not told you everything" moment. The president now realizes that whatever is going on, he's definately at the disadvantage because not only is someone willing to crash a plane to stop him, but someone is willing to make it disappear out of thin air to save him (her?). That shows a very sophisticated level of tech/understanding... so her comments at the end of his talk with her aren't threats, just hard fact.

Also, had the plane just crashed, then it could have been any terrorist attack (maybe related to his speech, maybe not) and with all the deaths and 9/11 feel to it in the news they would either have to spend time dealing with that or just gloss over it, either way it would be waste of time and pacing. Instead it's just a plane ol' plan crash and we can move on with everyone blissfully unawares.

As for the mass murder in the desert, that's a whole other level of pyscho than just sending one guy off to crash a plane of faceless victims.

I'm not entirely convinced at that they are aliens, it's possible, but I also had a thought of time travel, that maybe they are from the future that is why they are 'evolved' by a percent.

• ShadowStylez

#14169891 - 8 years ago

In reply to JayCee, #13:

You know, I was so stuck on them being aliens that this:

I'm not entirely convinced at that they are aliens, it's possible, but I also had a thought of time travel, that maybe they are from the future that is why they are 'evolved' by a percent.

never occurred to me. I really like the idea of this and it is definitely off the beaten path after being shown survivors of the crash landing of a craft that appeared to be of "alien" origin. Way to think outside the box.

• prfectn0b0dy

prfectn0b0dy

#14175033 - 8 years ago

It normally takes me about three episodes to truly decide if I am into a show or not, and I feel like this one has me hooked. The mixed up time sequence is always an excellent suspense device, and any doubts I had about the main characters in the beginning of the series have mostly subsided. I figured it would be impossible to gauge their depth from the very beginning as the show was advertised as a sort of replacement for Lost. Like Lost, each episode snowballs off the previous, and the writers remain reluctantly to deliver information...otherwise the wouldn't have an audience.

So far I'm not sure how to comment as I have been left with more questions than answers, but I felt like getting involved with a discussion about the show because its left me wanting. I could see the idea that the 97(?) are perhaps simply a more evolved species as the differences between them and us are minute, but appear to follow some sort of mutation trend. The differences in their DNA, circulatory systems, and aging however minute are FAR from ours, so if they were from the future it would be a lonnnng way in the future. They mentioned that they were not of "terrestrial" origin in the first episode, but I'm wondering if that is based on scientific examination or what happened when they found them at the crash site.

I'd really like to find out if the imprisoned "aliens" and the sleepers are working together or if they are divided. I'm assuming they're working together after watching Mia kill her boyfriend...But what confuses me is the way Sophia said, "This wasn't supposed to happen" after seeing the photos of the crash site. Was she lying simply to keep protecting her people, or a has there been some sort of shift in priorities for those living on the outside? The fact that the flight passengers are still alive proposed some sort of biological warfare theory, but who knows? I'm just as confused at the end of every episode as I was before i started watching it. Hope the discussion keeps up!

I'm loving Jason Ritter as walker, he's come a long way from Joan of Arcadia smiley0.gif .

• JayCee

JayCee FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14175611 - 8 years ago

I only have one question... why didn't they tie up the guy and call the paramedics? Hello, interrogate him and see if even a few of your fellow comrades don't die!

and omg it's the zombie apocolypse!

• ShadowStylez

#14175976 - 8 years ago

In reply to JayCee, #16:

Zomg! You're right! I never saw this coming!

• LordGodsend

LordGodsend

#14176110 - 8 years ago

Did anyone else notice that the actress who plays Vicky looks like Megan Fox?

• JayCee

#14176236 - 8 years ago

In reply to LordGodsend, #18:

You know, I did do a double take when she was in the Van, the pictures and the previous episode I didn't see it at all.

• prfectn0b0dy

prfectn0b0dy

#14176381 - 8 years ago

In reply to LordGodsend, #18:

Her name is Taylor Cole apparently. The resemblance could have been one of the reasons they cast her =P Although so far I feel like she cuter and a little more talented.

taylor-cole-20090309011840045-000.jpg

• JayCee

#14188765 - 8 years ago

Okay, gonna throw this out there... Sean is related to Sophia's people, literally. That's why they are so interested in him.

• ShadowStylez

#14189882 - 8 years ago

In reply to JayCee, #21:

It's a reasonable possibility based on the way they have handled this situation. Do you think he knows?

• Bryy

Bryy

#14195027 - 8 years ago

In reply to LordGodsend, #7:

In reply to ShadowStylez, #4:

My point was that they placed their characters in a position where they couldn't save them without using something supernatural/paranormal, and when the plane just conveniently vanishes it felt like the writers vanishing from the corner they'd written themselves into.

You're complaining about things not being explained in the first episode?

I don't really think you "get" how writers work.

• ShadowStylez

#14195280 - 8 years ago

In reply to Bryy, #23:

Writers.... they umm... "write"... Right? Or is it left?

• Bryy

Bryy

#14195684 - 8 years ago

I'm perfectly fine with people not wanting to know about how their shows are made. But for God's sake, I have no sympathy for people that watch TV, don't pick up on patterns, and then act like story structure is something they have never seen before.