Forums > Television

Boardwalk Empire

Posts (34)

• datalaughing

datalaughing FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Always Right

#14159089 - 8 years ago

Anybody else watching this new show on HBO? Here's a trailer:

I just finished watching the first two episodes, and damn does this show look like it's gonna be good. It's about time Steve Buscemi got a vehicle to himself that will let him really show what he can do. First episode was directed by exec producer Martin Scorsese, and I think it comes through. Buscemi's character is based on a real guy who basically ran Atlantic City for years (particularly during prohibition), and when I read the Wiki article about him, I was like, this is the perfect guy to base a TV show around.

Loved the first two episodes, and I can't wait for more.

• monopoly_j

monopoly_j

#14159107 - 8 years ago

That looks interesting.

• RUSH2112

RUSH2112

#14159371 - 8 years ago

I have the first two episodes queued up to watch, probably will tonight. The people working on the show have some pretty good stuff on their resumes.

• LilJonBig

LilJonBig

#14160004 - 8 years ago

In reply to datalaughing, #1:

How does link videos? smiley3.gif

=3

looks like a cool show.

• datalaughing

datalaughing FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Always Right

#14160010 - 8 years ago

In reply to LilJonBig, #4:

Be a moderator.

• Spedoinkel

Spedoinkel

#14161225 - 8 years ago

I watched the premier so far. The premise and the setting is stuff I love to watch, but I'm still undecided on the show. Course I'll at least give it a few more episodes.

• Raynos

Raynos Wild Eagle

#14163615 - 8 years ago

The show looks pretty cool, but I don't have the means to watch it right now. I anxiously await the DVD release.

• colonelMCmuf

colonelMCmuf

#14164324 - 8 years ago

Wish I had Cable.

• thejakewallace

thejakewallace FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14166008 - 8 years ago

I'm loving the show so far but I'm not sold on Jimmy as a protagonist yet. I feel like so far he's a generic struggling young husband/father character that you see in almost any criminal drama. The character can certainly work, like in the case of Chrisy in the Sopranos, but I haven't seen any charisma out of this actor.

However, Steve Buscemi and whoever is playing Al Capone are stealing the show and will keep making me watch.

• RoadBlock

RoadBlock FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold DONGS

#14166800 - 8 years ago

In reply to Sir_W_aah, #9:

The Capone reveal was one of the highlights of the premiere. I recognized the actor from Band of Brothers, Pvt. Rainey one of the NCOs that turns in his stripes in "Curahee" episode, and I thought "wow, that seems like a good actor for such a bit part." Then he introduced himself, and the casting made much more sense.

I also love and hate that the widow Schroeder is getting caught in the middle of this, as everybody seems to be "gunning" for her.

• RUSH2112

RUSH2112

#14167745 - 8 years ago

He was also Tommy in Snatch. The fact that i can watch Boardwalk Empire and see someone other than Tommy when I see him speaks to his acting ability.

• RoadBlock

RoadBlock FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold DONGS

#14167767 - 8 years ago

In reply to RUSH2112, #11:

A lot of those Band of Brothers guys were like that, but none moreso than Dexter Fletcher, AKA Sgt. Martin from BoB and Soap from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. It's tough to pick the best, because almost all of them were excellent, save for Marc Warren's terrible "Philly" accent.

My wife and I were just talking about that last night, and I also cited Blackhawk Down as another movie about American soldiers cast with largely non-American actors that excellently do American accents, Ewan Bremner being the best.

• thejakewallace

thejakewallace FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#14167810 - 8 years ago

In reply to RoadBlock, #12:

That always amazes me, especially TV actors who have to keep up a fake accent for years and years. The fact that Hugh Laurie has been using a fake American accent for nearly 150 episodes blows my mind.

But back to the actual topic of conversation, who else is excited for Omar from the Wire to get some real screen time? I feel like his one appearance in the trailer and quick scene in the 1st episode solid this show to every fan of the Wire.

• RoadBlock

#14167820 - 8 years ago

In reply to Sir_W_aah, #13:

INDEED. I feel like we've only scratched the surface of what this show has to offer casting-wise.

I wish I could fast forward to the future! Then I could watch all the episodes in short order, like I did with The Wire, and we'd have sweet jet packs.

• RUSH2112

RUSH2112

#14167880 - 8 years ago

In reply to RoadBlock, #12:

Wow, just looked up the REAL Albert Blithe's (Marc Warren's char) birthplace...Philly? I thought he was going for a southern accent. Still, a good actor.

On-topic: I went into this with people saying "Sopranos during Prohibition" and maybe that's why I'm actually kinda disappointed in some of the casting. I always felt they seemed to get the casting spot-on in the Sopranos but in this case I feel like some of the actors just don't fit the characters. Maybe I'm just over-thinking a show that's two episodes in, though.

• datalaughing

#14264280 - 8 years ago

"Fuckin' tough guy, you gonna shoot me for mouthin' off?"
    "I wasn't going to, but you kind of talked me into it." *headshot*

I am really liking this show.

• datalaughing

#14674413 - 8 years ago

Trailer for season 2:

Still lookin' badass. I'm excited.

• NinjaTurtl3

NinjaTurtl3

#14696863 - 8 years ago

HBO sure knows how to make one hell of a trailer. If season 2 is nearly as good as season 1, then we are all in for a treat.

And I gotta say this....YO, OMAR'S COMIN!

• datalaughing

#14847707 - 7 years ago

Season 2 premiers tonight! Get excited, people!

• H0b0Walrus

H0b0Walrus

#14849067 - 7 years ago

The trailers remind my a little of the Sopranos and anything that does that is doing something right. I'll probally try and rent season 1 and give it a try

• datalaughing

#14905789 - 7 years ago

I care so little about the storyline with the hypocrite and the whore that it's amazing.

• RoadBlock

#14944036 - 7 years ago

That was... surprising.

HOLY FUCK. Poor Angela and the cute lesbian! D:

• datalaughing

#14948908 - 7 years ago

In reply to RoadBlock, #22:

That was fucking cold is what it was. Of course it was obvious who was in the bathroom and what was going to happen to the two ladies . Still, it's sad.

Seems like things are going downhill for everybody, and not a whole lot of episodes left in gge season. Really has me wondering.

• xSnowy

xSnowy

#14957081 - 7 years ago

So who do you think is going to "kick the bucket" next episode? Also, I have watched this series since the day the piolet aired. Great series!

• datalaughing

#14965081 - 7 years ago

Ok, so this week's episode explained kind of a lot about Jimmy's fucked up relationships. Damn.