procrastin8r

#745742 - 14 years ago

In reply to redcrow, #70:

the two year thing means i am a year ahead of you

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#745872 - 14 years ago

In reply to procrastin8r, #74:

You measure a circle with steradians like you measure a house with meters. Feet work just as well.

• redcrow

redcrow

#746455 - 14 years ago

In reply to procrastin8r, #71:

no all weve done is congruence in geometery nd we also made 3d graphs nd learned to define a line nd a plane in 3d space it was confusing but fun

• Danakill63

Danakill63

#760239 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #77:

360^2 like reedmon29 says, it would make scence that way

• Governator1

Governator1

#760790 - 14 years ago

In reply to otto, #64:

YOUR LOGIC IS FLAWED. YOU ARE USING CIRCULAR REASONING.

• CHEESEBOY2

CHEESEBOY2

#761444 - 14 years ago

seriously, why are we arguing over something that doesnt matter?

• Bud_Tugley

Bud_Tugley

#761597 - 14 years ago

In reply to Governator1, #80:

In reply to otto, #64:

YOU ARE USING CIRCULAR REASONING.

isn't that the basis for this whole debate?

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#761675 - 14 years ago

In reply to CHEESEBOY2, #81:

Wanna know?
    In the XBox 360 thread, someone made a joke that the new XBox would have to be a sphere to be called the XBox 360. I corrected him and said it would have to be the XBox 129,600 to be a sphere. And then everyone got into a debate over what number it would be so it would be shaped like a sphere. And so, we have this thread.

• redcrow

redcrow

#763033 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #83:

i asked my math teacher nd he said it would be infinate because u can rotate a single circle at ne degree nd get a sphere

• l337_master

l337_master

#763063 - 14 years ago

In reply to redcrow, #84:

yeah thats correct
    im doing trig. ratios(radian the full sin. co. and tan crap) at the moment at school (maths b)

look at post #12 and #14 they give you correct answers
    but people are lazy so i'll summerise them
    a circle is a 2D shape, a sphere is 3D
    a degree is a 2d measurement, there is not 3D counterpart for a degree
    there is an infinite number of ways to cut a sphere so you have a circle face so there are infinite degrees in a sphere or you could just say 360^oo

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#763097 - 14 years ago

In reply to l337_master, #85:

It's correct, but it answers a question that I did not ask. I was very careful in the first post to use square degrees, rather than degrees. If I had used degrees, then you would be correct. There are infinite meters in a square meter. But there is only 1 square meter in a square meter. There's infinite square meters in a cubic meter, but there is 1 cubic meter in a cubic meter. It's all about the exponents.

And you are wrong, there is a 3D counterpart for a degree. Radians are equivalent to degrees, and there is a radian measurement for a sphere. So, why can't degrees be used in some fashion?

• redcrow

redcrow

#763219 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #86:

so intead of xbox 360 or xbox 129600 it would be xbox infinate or still xbox 129600

• pilotelite

pilotelite

#763224 - 14 years ago

THERE'S 0 DEGREE IN A SPHERE, BECAUSE THE WORLD IS FLAT!!

• Evil_Chicken

Evil_Chicken

#763437 - 14 years ago

In reply to redcrow, #84:

if u think of a sphere as just a circle being rotated to make a sphere you would rotate it half way around before its complete, and if u count the degrees in half of that then you get 180 times 360. there are NOT infinate degrees in a circle or sphere. a degree is a certain amount of space points are infinate.

• wee0622

wee0622

#763615 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #1:

the answer is penis

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#763625 - 14 years ago

In reply to EccentricNed, #90:

Did your class handle degrees or "square degrees"? Pretty much everyone else in this thread just says "degrees", and so they are correct. I don't disagree with that.

But, I still hold that there is such thing as "square degrees" and that a sphere holds a finite number of them. After all, a sphere does have 4Pi steradians.

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#765924 - 14 years ago

In reply to EccentricNed, #93:

Yeah... the title does just say degrees, but I doubt anyone would care after reading "How many square degrees are in a sphere?" I'm not even sure adding degrees would fit (Didn't try...).

I don't know anything about using steradians, nor do I think I will ever want to, but it just surprises me how many people simply say "Infinite". I don't want to appear hard headed, but anyone who says "Infinite" most likely is just using degrees versus "square degrees" (Steradians). Unless someone can explain why there would be infinite "square degrees" in a sphere, I just assume anyone who says infinite simply misunderstood the question.

• w3a2

w3a2

#766048 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #94:

i can't see how using a unit of measuring angles, to define a 3dimensional object.

how many litres in a mile?

how many decibels in a square metre?

how many radians in a pyramid?

• postulio

postulio

#766054 - 14 years ago

In reply to w3a2, #95:

how many inches in my johnson?

(hint: more than ten)

but seriously this is a pretty interesting topic and i think the infinite one is right.

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#766082 - 14 years ago

In reply to w3a2, #95:

Well, a circle is a graph equidistant from a point. A sphere is a graph equidistant from a point. They are the same, except that a sphere is 3D and a circle is 2D. Since degrees can be converted to meters by being multiplied by the radius (Degrees / 360 * 2 * R * Pi = Arc), then I imagine that the same would hold true for spheres. (Degrees / Possible * 4 * R ^ 2 * Pi = Surface Area)

• Evil_Chicken

Evil_Chicken

#766223 - 14 years ago

In reply to postulio, #96:

There are NOT infinate degrees in a circle as i said before degrees are a certain amount of space (360 degres are a circle) so if you rotated a circle 180 degrees or got 180 circles you could put them together each 1 degree apart and make an outline of all the degrees in a sphere so 180 * 360 is 64800

• Harnu

Harnu

#766226 - 14 years ago

Infinte Eleven.

• Evil_Chicken

Evil_Chicken

#768301 - 14 years ago

In reply to Harnu, #99:

next time think, then talk

• Dictator_dan

Dictator_dan

#768589 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #1:

im preety sure that what im about to say has prbably been said 20 times in this thread but o well

a sphere has an infinite amount of degrees

think about, say you have a circle, it has 360 degrees, you rotate it an infinitly small amount of a degree, then you have 360 more degrees, you keep roatating it an infinte amount of times and eventually you wil have a sphere with an infinite amount of degrees

• redcrow

redcrow

#771870 - 14 years ago

In reply to Dictator_dan, #101:

dictator_dan is right there r an infinate amount of degrees in a sphere it is made up of infinate amount of squared degrees. there is an inifinate amount of degrees in a square degree but only one square degree in a square degree nd that holds true to a sphere. there r an infinate amount of circles in a sphere which is a circle cubed but there is only one circle cube (sphere) in one circle cubed (sphere). evil_chicken u r only thinking of one possibility of making a sphere from a circle where there is actually an infinate amount to make a sphere from a circle.
    (this reminds me of proofs so much)