proofs were boring
    my proof:

If you stay up really late
    then you will be tired the next morning

• redcrow

redcrow

#774231 - 14 years ago

In reply to procrastin8r, #103:

luckily for me my teacher dint make us do that many proofs we mainly did them in class for showing algebratic equations nd in a program called pawns nd cubes it was boring
    btw i like to use the word infinate it makes me giggle

• Snow_Crash

Snow_Crash

#776507 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #1:

When rotatig the sphere, two points (one at each of the poles) will always intersect at the same place, therefore generating 359 overlapped points at each pole. Therefore, I'd assume it would be (360^2)-(359*2), or 128,882 degrees.

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#776532 - 14 years ago

In reply to Snow_Crash, #105:

Wow... I like that answer.

But, the problem with that, or at least my problem, is that it doesn't account for that the points near the poles will be tighter spaced than points on the "equator".

That may be how degrees work on a sphere, and if it is, then you're equation would be correct. Now, at least, we're getting to a point that I'm not certain of the answer.

• Orcus

Orcus

#776681 - 14 years ago

Really, the way a point is determined in a sphere uses 2 angles: phi and theta. theta goes all the way around(2pi total radians) while phi goes from 0 to pi radians. then, the radius of the sphere determines the actual point along the line.

This encompasses all possible points along the surface of a sphere(and all points within, but it's more complicated), with no overlap.

This is what is known as spherical coordinates.

• Snow_Crash

Snow_Crash

#776691 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #106:

You're dealing with a limited, non-straight basis for the numbers. While answering your concern, I had a though and would like to update my answer. Follow with me...

Imagine it this way. Stand in the center of the Earth. 0 degrees NS is the North pole, 90 degrees NS is the Equator, 180 degrees NS is the South pole. 0 degrees EW is +0 Timezone. 90 degrees EW is the -6 Timezone, 180 degrees EW is the -12 Timezone, and 270 degrees EW is the -18 Timezone.

Using this system, you can define anypoint on the globe. First give your NS degrees to fine at what lattitude you're looking, then the EW degrees to find your longitude. If you ever give a NS degrees measurement of 0 or 180, no matter what EW degree you state, you will always be looking at the same place. (North pole and South pole, respectivly.) So only 178 NS degrees can be paired with an EW degree.

Therefore it would be (360*178)+2, or 64082 degrees in a sphere.

• l337_master

l337_master

#776826 - 14 years ago

In reply to EccentricNed, #90:

yeah i knew but to get this point across to others thats the hardest thing

• BigBen

BigBen

#777074 - 14 years ago

In reply to Evil_Chicken, #98:

In reply to postulio, #96:

There are NOT infinate degrees in a circle as i said before degrees are a certain amount of space (360 degres are a circle) so if you rotated a circle 180 degrees or got 180 circles you could put them together each 1 degree apart and make an outline of all the degrees in a sphere so 180 * 360 is 64800

I cant believe this thread has gone for 4 pages,

that is not an accurate theroem,

because degrees measure angles not space, there are no angles in a pure sphere, therefore you cannot measure degrees in a sphere as if you were measuring them in an x,y cordinate plane, it just doent work.

furthermore, what's the difference between a degree and a half a degree? why cant you measure in radians? because then you could have a different number of degrees depending on how small you wish to divide pi?

Furthermore again, you wouldnt have a "complete measure of all of the points in a sphere" you would have a series of points that would form the general shape of a sphere, but those points could be connected by straight lines, each one degree x the radius of the sphere long.

to get a true sphere by that method you would have to find the limit as degrees in a sphere approaches infinity and then it would still be a limit, not a concrete number.

therefore the answer is 42 as 42 is the answer to all questions.

• neatoburrito

neatoburrito

#777521 - 14 years ago

In reply to wee0622, #91:

the answer is penis

When is it not?

• redcrow

redcrow

#779667 - 14 years ago

In reply to neatoburrito, #111:

when monkeys melt your socks with venesuala

• Evil_Chicken

Evil_Chicken

#790517 - 14 years ago

technically if you rotated a circle part of a degree thats not a new degree its like degree #14.0000000008 or something like that not rly a new degree

• w3a2

w3a2

#790545 - 14 years ago

In reply to Evil_Chicken, #113:

technically, if you post in a thread that's dead you're called a necroposter.

personally I like the term "TOSS-FUCKINGBAG"

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#790555 - 14 years ago

In reply to w3a2, #114:

4 days isn't dead. It's dead when it's about 2 weeks old, when it gets archived.

• Evil_Chicken

Evil_Chicken

#790934 - 14 years ago

In reply to w3a2, #114:

technically if you post in a thread telling ppl not to post in this thread your a necroposter AND a hippicrit

• w3a2

w3a2

#790953 - 14 years ago

In reply to Evil_Chicken, #116:

technically if you can't spell such words as hypocrite you should not try to type them

• Snow_Crash

Snow_Crash

#791505 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #115:

When a thread is archived isn't it no longer available to post in?

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#791527 - 14 years ago

In reply to Snow_Crash, #118:

Yeah. Dead threads, about two weeks of no posting, get archived. Then, they are officially dead.

• Snow_Crash

Snow_Crash

#791574 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #119:

My point is, then, if you say a thread is dead after two weeks, and after two weeks it get's archived, and when it's archived it is no longer available for posting in, and necroposting is the act of posting in a dead thread, then necroposting on the RvB forum is impossible (except for Mods).

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#791920 - 14 years ago

In reply to Snow_Crash, #120:

Precisely. Archiving is there to stop necroposting. Just because it is impossible doesn't mean that the necroposting line must be at some possible line... the CG guys made the stuff archive at two weeks, so I say that is when a thread officially dies. Therefore, nothing is necroposting.

• Snow_Crash

Snow_Crash

#791967 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #121:

OK, I understand where you're coming from. I do disagree in that I feel that that the time it takes for a thread to die is one week, but that is simply a matter of opinions.

• redcrow

redcrow

#792975 - 14 years ago

In reply to Snow_Crash, #122:

a thread is officially dead wen ppl rnt even talking about the topic nd no one cares to get them on the topic

• reedmon29

reedmon29

#792983 - 14 years ago

In reply to redcrow, #123:

Ummm... No. That's off topic.

The thread may be a waste of space, but it is certainly not dead. Posting in it is not necroposting. Whether it's one week or two weeks to die, being off topic does not kill a thread.

• redcrow

redcrow

#792990 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #124:

i kno that its jst the thread has no more purpose of the topic it was made for

• croix3m

croix3m

#794695 - 14 years ago

In reply to reedmon29, #124:

Isn't that the art of conversation? You talk about one thing, which leads to another, which leads to another? To say that a conversation MUST be about only one thing and not evolve is kind of restrictive, no?

• PaddlePop

PaddlePop

#838779 - 14 years ago

In reply to croix3m, #126:

Kind of like the points on a sphere. One point leads to another and another and another. There is a limitless number of points you can go to, just like there is a limitless number of directions a conversation can take.

Isn't this a beautiful and smooth subject change to get back to the original topic.