Top 200 Universities In The World

Posts (58)

• Stilgar

Stilgar

#291385 - 14 years ago

In reply to Stilgar, #25:

Campus size: 5,200 acres

• CiQuat

CiQuat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Woop woop

#291567 - 14 years ago

My undergrad is unlisted, but where I will be going for my Master of Divinity studies is #173 - Emory University (specifically Candler School of Theology at Emory Univ).

• aiktsu

aiktsu

#291625 - 14 years ago

Lol.

ASU is listed. (Arizona State University)

• fubarific

fubarific

#291636 - 14 years ago

wtf, that is so bullshit.
    Waterloo > U of T & McGill

• BigBen

BigBen

#291724 - 14 years ago

In reply to fubarific, #29:

I think it's considering mainly graduate education, and "international score" whatever that is.

I'm fully of the belief that the undergraduate education you get at any first or second tier school is going to be more or less equivalent, it might vary from professor to professor but it will be genrally pretty good.

It's at the graduate level (particulary MA and PHD) where teh schools on the top 20-30 on that list stand out. you go to one of those places you will be studying with the leaders in your field, the people who write the textbooks, etc. Not to mention the connections you make at such a place.

• Kawada

Kawada

#291741 - 14 years ago

Well...I used to go to the number 83 on the list:

Eindhoven University of Technology

Or in Dutch: Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, TUE

• Allos

Allos

#291783 - 14 years ago

In reply to SMM, #1:

• w3a2

w3a2

#291951 - 14 years ago

wtf? who -6 lamed him?

anyway, I didn't go to university (I was conned into going to a Technical College - which sounds so working class but it's not) - but I know I'm doing better than my Uni-Educated collegues here at work...in what we do, you learn more in the office than in the classroom. I might just get my degree later on. Diploma is enough for now, I hate studying.

Just thought I'd add that there's no decent Uni's in SA from that list, which figures, seeings we are the "Technical & Educational Epicentre of the World" if you believe our local politicians.
    So I'd still suck if i went to one here anyway.

• psychxero

psychxero

#291966 - 14 years ago

I'm surprised my school isn't on there...meh, I do know it's one of the better law schools so that's all that matters..

• wmalligo

wmalligo

#292011 - 14 years ago

NC State is #117

But the College of Textiles at NCSU has the #1 facilities of its kind in the world.

• Xx_kissez_xX

Xx_kissez_xX

#292015 - 14 years ago

Shit... is mine even on there?

• MaxWalrus

MaxWalrus

#292017 - 14 years ago

Mine isn't ranked here. I'm 52 I think on USN&WR.

I don't understand the ranking system. UCSF, for example gets all bad scores except a good citation/faculty score, so they're 20? Whatever.

• BigBen

BigBen

#292030 - 14 years ago

In reply to MaxWalrus, #37:

I hadnt quite figured that out either,

you go somewhere in the DC area dont you? like GW or Washington and Lee or something like that?

• BandGeek

BandGeek

#292052 - 14 years ago

#38. iconrock5yb.gif

• SirTessa

SirTessa

#292228 - 14 years ago

University of Canberra isn't listed. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

• WYD

WYD

#292308 - 14 years ago

In reply to MaxWalrus, #37:

There's a lot of top 50 schools from USN&WR that aren't even on the list, and a of schools from the very bottom of USN that are towards the top of the list. i dont know how they ranked this list.

• uclari

uclari

#292662 - 14 years ago

#26, UCLA

However, I was accepted to #2 Cal, #24 UCSD, and #19 Columbia.

Still goes to show you that Harvard has a name.

• sens

sens

#292806 - 14 years ago

#184 RWTH Aachen...........what does the H stand for?

• BigBen

BigBen

#292810 - 14 years ago

In reply to uclari, #42:

you applied to 3 schools in cali and one in NY?

what the hell?

• uclari

uclari

#292842 - 14 years ago

In reply to BigBen, #44:

Actually, I applied to many others that I just don't consider of note:

UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, Dartmouth, Brown, Pomona College.

I didn't get into Harvard because they don't take junior transfers (bastards!) and I couldn't apply to Yale because I had an idiot college counselor at my high school that didn't fill out some paperwork in time. Cal Tech and MIT said I needed more math, I said stick it.

• Moemar

Moemar

#293026 - 14 years ago

Yeah, that ratings system is pretty horrible. It's based a lot off of the how many international students/faculty a particular university has. Not the greatest measure of the level of education in my opinion. And really...UCSD over UCLA? UCSB almost 70 spots over Dartmouth? Cal at #2? Something's obviously not right there.

• uclari

uclari

#293031 - 14 years ago

In reply to Moemar, #46:

Well, I think it makes sense if you are a student looking to study abroad. Obviously you will be more interested in a program that has a focus on international programs than not.

Although many argue otherwise, Cal is probably one of the most respected forces in graduate studies (if not the most) in the nation. Look at all the major departments in the country for almost anything and you'll find a disproportionate number of Cal grads there. #2? Maybe not, but much better than US News is willing to admit.

And even though I'm a Bruin, I might be willing to concede UCSD being better in many respects. Look at their departments these days, and they're publishing quality material like mad. The only weakness that UCSD has is that many departments have one or two amazing profs and a crapload of good ones. UCLA, on the other hand, might just have a dept. with only "great" profs, but no "amazing" ones.

UCSB is too high, I agree. However, I must say...Dartmouth is really not that great outside the US.

• Detritus

Detritus

#293095 - 14 years ago

In reply to BigBen, #19:

Yeah dude... that first link sucks... contains a trojan as well as just plenty of pop ups and no list of universities.

• BigBen

BigBen

#293119 - 14 years ago

In reply to Detritus, #48:

I think that's you, I"m getting a good link.

• mangrove

mangrove

#310799 - 14 years ago

In reply to SMM, #1:

*makes bogan-like cheering noise*

Yes, go La Trobe! See, its because of our wonderful presence there that its even rated high enough to be on the list. Does that mean it wont be there next year?

But to be ranked below Adelaide uni - its shameful. I've heard some nasty things about it from its students.