Forums > The Basement

Martial Law

Posts (52)

• DragonEdge

DragonEdge

#293750 - 14 years ago

I admit it, my whole warning policy didn't work worth shit. But I am not about to give up on these forums yet. So here is the new dealie (thanks for the advice and go ahead Master Peccaui)

Anyone with multiple locked threads (meaning 2 or more) will be banned. No exceptions. If you can't take the time to read through what is already here and what is aceptable, then we don't want or need you anyway.

Different mods will have different opinions on what stays and what goes, and different members will be treated better. So if you have your doubts on a thread, don't post it.

• Pandaburger

Pandaburger

#293767 - 14 years ago

In reply to DragonEdge, #1:

Do we have to sign an acknowledgement to this or anything?

• Pandaburger

Pandaburger

#293769 - 14 years ago

In reply to Pandaburger, #2:

So that people who do have no excuse, that sort of thing. ZERO TOLERANCE.

• Tucker_Q218

Tucker_Q218

#293775 - 14 years ago

how about a suspension instead of being banned
    we dont know if something we think is Thread worthy will be locked

• Servo

Servo

#293782 - 14 years ago

In reply to Tucker_Q218, #4:

Read the FAQ to determine if something is thread worthy
    or
    Ask in the current BAR
    or
    Ask a moderator
    or
    Ask me
    or
    Do the smart thing and just keep it to your journal

• DragonEdge

DragonEdge

#293795 - 14 years ago

In reply to Tucker_Q218, #4:

There are no suspensions and no way to Unban someone.

Listen to servo, but don't PM a mod. Re-read my first post, if you have a question about if you should post it or not, THEN DON'T FUCKING POST IT

• CiQuat

CiQuat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Woop woop

#293804 - 14 years ago

In reply to DragonEdge, #6:

I'm surpised and saddened that this is necessary to keep the peace. I hope this will not hurt our community and that people will learn to respect this resource.

Curiosity: When someone is banned, are they e-mailed by the system (with or without a reason), or are they just no longer able to log in?

• DragonEdge

DragonEdge

#293810 - 14 years ago

In reply to CiQuat, #7:

Probably not able to login, I don't think an email goes out

I am saddened by it also, but I have been with RVB/DG for I think three years now and I know a good forum when I see one, this isn't it. Hell even with this policy, I bet the new people still don't get it

• CiQuat

CiQuat FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Woop woop

#293815 - 14 years ago

In reply to DragonEdge, #8:

The reason I asked is if a new guy joins up, logs in, creates numerous idiotic threads, and proceeds to get banned and is not able to log in - how will he know not to create a new account and do the same, all while bitching "why the hell was my account banned?" I would hope there would be some way of "re-educating" the new guys, though a "why you were banned" e-mail or something, so they don't come back and repeat their offenses.

• DragonEdge

DragonEdge

#293836 - 14 years ago

In reply to CiQuat, #9:

See and thats what I would like to avoid, but its much easier to hit that ban button then coming up with Private Messages and whatnot, I tried that for half a week and it sucked. Too many people get upset that you lock there thread about their favorite kind of sandwich.

• dark54555

dark54555 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#293840 - 14 years ago

In reply to DragonEdge, #10:

or argue with you about it for half an hour. when it's a textbook rule violation.

• eponymous

eponymous FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#293842 - 14 years ago

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

It's a tough decision, but I think it's for the best. If people can't exercise a little self-restraint, they really don't belong here.

• CiQuat

#293853 - 14 years ago

In reply to DragonEdge, #10:

Understood. I was meaning something that you don't have to send, that the system sends automatically to the person's e-mail when they're banned with a select list-chosen reason. I guess this idea falls more as a site suggestion than a suggestion to a MOD since what I was thinking of is automated (so you can ban to your hearts content without wasting time with explanations).

I might put it in the site suggestions, but I doubt it since it's a pretty full thread as it is.

• WhiteLuda

WhiteLuda

#293907 - 14 years ago

I'll help however I can, but I really don't know how to help <_<

I don't like bugging you on AIM because well, sometimes it just doesn't seem right ^_^

• Blackclown

Blackclown

#294055 - 14 years ago

In reply to WhiteLuda, #15:

Can you read? he never asked for help asshat so quit kissing ass

• burner

burner

#294083 - 14 years ago

In reply to CiQuat, #9:

There's nothing stopping anybody coming back after a ban, e-mail addresses are free and so are passwords and avatars, maybe education is a better answer.

• RDM

RDM

#294116 - 14 years ago

In reply to burner, #17:

its called an IP range ban.

• burner

burner

#294136 - 14 years ago

In reply to RDM, #18:

I personally have accounts with four ISP's therefore four ranges, as I said, they cost nothing

• CiQuat

#294148 - 14 years ago

In reply to burner, #19:

He's not referring to where your email is collected - he means banning the IPs of the computer from which they connect to the internet. In cases where people connect using a dynamic IP (which many, if not the majority, do), you could potentially be blocked from the site because someone else had an infraction when they were using the IP you now use.

Banning an e-mail address is enough of a deterrent to keep away all but the most persistent jerks.

• burner

burner

#294160 - 14 years ago

In reply to CiQuat, #20:

As far as I was aware, changing your service provider changes your IP address, I apologise if i'm wrong.
    (I am not talking about email addresses but who you connect through)

• RDM

RDM

#294161 - 14 years ago

In reply to CiQuat, #20:

Exactly. Its also possible to ban an entire city/area/state, if they so chose to.

• RTDRB

RTDRB

#294180 - 14 years ago

In reply to RDM, #22:

I HAVE NEVER MADE A LOCKED THREAD!!!

Though many of my threads have been locked.

/Bill Clinton

• CiQuat

#294235 - 14 years ago

In reply to burner, #21:

Ahh. I see. I misunderstood you. I was thinking you were referring to having e-mail through 4 different providers instead of being able to connect though them - most people on the internet wouldn't know the difference, and therein is where my assumption was.

• Wizbang

Wizbang

#294269 - 14 years ago

Is this retroactive? That is, I have one locked thread (I have learned since then, thank you); am I down to one? Is there a mass unified locked-thread-owner's list, or is it a matter of whether or not a moderator remembers locking someone's thread twice?