Forums > The Basement

TV = Learning?

Posts (28)

• briskimj

briskimj

#301428 - 14 years ago

You know many people have said that TV will rot your mind til there's nothing there. But, I've found that many a shows have taught me stuff. For example: South Park has shown me that sea people + semen = seaciety. What kind of stuff have you all learned out there?

• RyanL

RyanL

#301434 - 14 years ago

In reply to briskimj, #1:

How to fuck like a Pron Star

• rhino1045

rhino1045

#301436 - 14 years ago

I've learned a lot of stuff off of TV but it's mostly useless facts which will never be used in any uselful way.

And sea people + semen = seaciety That doesn't even make sense (and yes I watched that episode)

• GBowski

GBowski

#301441 - 14 years ago

how to make stuff blow up in funny ways from Mythbusters...
    i never knew that a jawbreaker could blow up in your face and give you 2nd degree chemical burns

• briskimj

briskimj

#301451 - 14 years ago

In reply to GBowski, #4:

Haha, if that's true, that's friggen awesome.

• The_Guardian

The_Guardian

#301454 - 14 years ago

TV teaches you how to . . .
    1. Blow shit up.
    2. Buy whores.
    3. Get laid.
    4. Find the average American attention span.

• briskimj

briskimj

#301496 - 14 years ago

In reply to The_Guardian, #6:

yep, that does sum it up a bit.

• NeloAngelo

NeloAngelo

#301529 - 14 years ago

Well, I watch the history channel and learn quite a bit......

• Blind_Hawk

Blind_Hawk

#301534 - 14 years ago

Soap Opera's teach you how to over react.

• spam

spam

#301688 - 14 years ago

In reply to NeloAngelo, #8:

History Channel Rocks!

I'm addicted to "Modern Marvels".

But lately it's seemed like the "Hitler Channel", just bad timing of several series that ended up involving Hitler in them one way or another.

• rhino1045

rhino1045

#301735 - 14 years ago

In reply to spam, #10:

Theres always some stuff on the history channel about Hitler or the Nazi side of the war. Modern Marvels is ok and I sometimes watch it though.

• pizzaboy

pizzaboy

#301805 - 14 years ago

Dude, i am a nerd at heart so i always find sitting down to watch a documentary about some ancient, warrior race is quite interesting.

• cumbo87

cumbo87

#302005 - 14 years ago

For me, when I HAD pay tv, I was addicted to Tech Tuesday on the Discovery Channel

• NeloAngelo

NeloAngelo

#302646 - 14 years ago

Yeah, we're all suckers for those learning shows.

• cumbo87

cumbo87

#302651 - 14 years ago

In reply to NeloAngelo, #15:

yeah, well they are awsome! To find out whats going on in the world, how stuff happend a long time ago, and where we are heading into the future! That is why I liked the Documentry shows!

• rhino1045

rhino1045

#302663 - 14 years ago

In reply to cumbo87, #16:

Half the stuff about the future basically says that were screwed if we don't clean up the enviroment and save the trees.

• cumbo87

cumbo87

#302670 - 14 years ago

In reply to rhino1045, #18:

You are mistaken, I am talking about the Tech shows, all tha gadgets for the future, where will we be in X amout of years etc. Not the future saying the world is going to end or the universe is going to expand out so much that the gravitational pull can't compact it all to start over, type of things.

• NeloAngelo

NeloAngelo

#302672 - 14 years ago

Can't beat good ol' Tech TV and gazelles being swallowed whole by an anaconda.

• briskimj

briskimj

#302676 - 14 years ago

Yeah, tech and history shows are awesome. At times I stay up all night to watch em!

• rhino1045

rhino1045

#302688 - 14 years ago

In reply to cumbo87, #19:

Oh yeah I get you know.

• Greenhorn

Greenhorn

#302708 - 14 years ago

I don't have a TV. If I'm in the lobby of the main building at Miami University I might watch TV, but if the people around will let me I'm turning on History or Discovery.

• FlotingAxhed

FlotingAxhed

#303156 - 14 years ago

A few months back the History Channel had 6 hours worth of back-to-back specials on cocaine! I kid you not! It could only have been more educational if it featured Tony Montana.

• briskimj

briskimj

#303171 - 14 years ago

In reply to FlotingAxhed, #24:

Wow that's friggen crazy! Nothing is more educational on how to produce, sell, and take a drug.

• Goat_Sucker

Goat_Sucker

#303177 - 14 years ago

Hitler was mean.
    Bush is the best men ever.

• Raxinox

Raxinox

#303607 - 14 years ago

Ya DAMN skippy TV = Learning! Games are better tho. Quite literally everything I know about any sport was learned through playing video games.

I think I have learned more from watching The Simpsons than I have learned in school and from my parents combined.