Forums > The Group of Manliness

"The Fucking Man" of the Month: November

Posts (45)

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31055472 - 8 years ago

Alright kids, check it out. Bond won... not RAMBO.. some of us are just gonna have to get over that. In an even more disturbing turn of events, G_Touchdown had the winning nomination, thus gets the honor of choosing this months theme. I however need to step in and clarify for this one a bit though. Seems the theme is music, but that's pretty broad and would risk this turning into way more of a discussion and a lot less of a contest, and that would tend to kill all the fun. Plus I don't want anyone to underestimate the complexities that would go into choosing the manliest fucker in music. Is it only for front-men? Is it cause of how or what they play? Should we take their bands into consideration? What if their solo? Do we look at the person or just the character they portray? That's the kinda shit I wanna straighten out first, starting with the era.On G's profile he states that he's "Grunge". As we all know the Grunge music era has three main parts, spanning over three decades. The origin (80's), mainstream livelihood (90's) and it's rebirth (2000's). So in honor of my little bro, G, and his transition into a full fledged member of this group, I'm keeping this months contest within the span of those three decades. Here's how the rest is gonna work, listen up... or just fuckin read the rules for urself:

1. Ur nomination must fall within the set three decades to qualify, no exceptions.

2. The genre of music doesn't matter, just the manliness of the person.

3. Only the person, not the band/group, counts for a nomination.

4. Nominations only count as the actual person/performer, NOT just a character they portray. This is to rule out any pussy-ass posers being honored by this group for false manliness.

5. Ur nomination MUST be accompanied by at least one pic and a brief description. Links to music videos to back up ur claim is completely optional.

6. Neg-mods still don't count against the nomination... unless, of course, it comes from an Admin. In which case they should state a reason.

*NEW* 7. Lengthy discussions get annoying, we all know that, but in this case arguments will be allowed. There are a lot of people in this group now, with a lot of different tastes. This time u will now be allowed to argue ur point to defend ur nomination. If claims of manliness are to be made as defense though, u MUST post evidence of ur claim.

There. That should straighten things up a bit. So whatcha got guys? Who's the manliest motha fucker in music? smiley13.gif

• DaKillaKing

DaKillaKing

#31055473 - 8 years ago

Jeff Hanneman
    from the band:
    061019_slayer_large.jpg

Slayer is an American heavy metal band from Huntington Park, California, formed in 1981. The band was founded by guitarists Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King.[1] Slayer rose to fame with their 1986 release, Reign in Blood,[2] and is credited as one of the "Big Four" thrash metal acts, along with Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax.[3]

Slayer's musical traits involve fast tremolo picking, atonal guitar solos, double bass drumming, and shouting vocals. The band's lyrics and album art, which cover topics such as serial killers, satanism, religion and warfare have generated album bans, delays, lawsuits and strong criticism from religious groups and the public.

Since their debut album in 1983, the band has released two live albums, one box set, six videos, two extended plays, and eleven studio albums, four of which have received gold certification in the United States. The band has received four Grammy nominations, winning one in 2007 for the song "Eyes of the Insane", and one in 2008 for the song "Final Six". They have played music festivals worldwide, including Unholy Alliance, Download and Ozzfest.

Jeff_Hanneman-2149_099e.jpg

He is Guitaurist for a Metal band. If that ain't manly enough he has a fucking beard.

Because
    god_listens_to_slayer.jpg

• osiris32

osiris32

#31055474 - 8 years ago

My vote is for Glen Danzig:

danzig.jpg

First off, he has chest hair, and sports is proudly. Secondly, his musical career has spanned 4 decades, and he's been a part of 3 major and influential horror-punk bands, the Misfits, Samhain, and Danzig. He wrote a song for JOHNNY FUCKING CASH, and if you question his manliness, you need to die in a fire. He also wrote for Roy Orbison, who, while not quite as manly as Johnny Cash, is still pretty fucking manly. He has been making music and touring since the mid 70s, and few artists can claim that kind of staying power, usually that is reserved for major acts like the Who and Aerosmith.

He also writes books and comics, directed his own music videos, and learned both Jeet Kun Do and Muay Thai, so he can also kick your ass.

Plus, just look at the guy. He exudes badass:

danzig.jpg

• DaKillaKing

DaKillaKing

#31055475 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #3:

But no beard...

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31055476 - 8 years ago

I could nuke everyone in this list depending on the quality of the music, but as that isn't what we're aiming at, then I'm nominating the obvious one.
    alice-cooper3.jpg
    That's right. Alice Cooper.

Born Vincent Damon Furnier; February 4, 1948, is an American rock singer, songwriter and musician whose career spans more than four decades. With a stage show that features guillotines, electric chairs, fake blood, boa constrictors and baby dolls, Cooper has drawn equally from horror movies, vaudeville, and garage rock to pioneer a grandly theatrical and violent brand of heavy metal that was designed to shock.

Such is his badass behaviour the man has been on stage and stabbed himself with a sword after being slightly inebriated. Rather than walk off and remove it, he carried on with the sword having run straight through his leg. The REST of the CONCERT! And not only that, his music is unbelievable.There is my nomination, a man who put a stake through the "flower power" generation, and continues to shock audiences to this day.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31055477 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #3:

In reply to Ashryka, #5:

Both fantastic nominations, but don't they both predate the 80's?

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31055478 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #6:

Technically, one could argue that, however, Alice Cooper is still putting out music today and touring (have you SEEN his latest tour, he dies four times on stage) I'd call it within the alloted period. If you say otherwise then I won't argue, but that's my opinion.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31055479 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #7:

I'm gonna leave that call up to G then, cause it's his month. I say if the height of their carreer still falls within the time frame then it's a perfectly legal nomination.

• osiris32

osiris32

#31055480 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #6:

Technically he started in 1975, but his stints with Samhain and Danzig were all after 1984. Plus, the Misfits were touring and recording in the early 80s. I think he counts.

The same could be said of Cooper and Hanneman, since Hanneman started music well before 1981

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31055481 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #9:

I've actually osed to be a big fan of Danzig, no need to defend him to me. Any of them really. I'm all for these guys so far, I think they're great nominations. That's why I was sayin I'm gonna leave the final say on them to G_touchdown since it's his month. Knowing him though, he'd be cool with it. I say let them ride til someone vetos.

• DaKillaKing

DaKillaKing

#31055482 - 8 years ago

despite being intimidated by Ashryka's post I'm not gonna veto, kudos for finding such a great nomination.

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31055483 - 8 years ago

In reply to DaKillaKing, #11:

I would say the same thing about yours. I actually first heard of Cooper through the late 80's hit, Poison. The dudes been on the Muppets and scared the crap out of everyone there too, he's a very talented and flamboyant character. Can't say I've listened much to Slayer though, but obviously it's popular if people carve the band name on their backs.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31055484 - 8 years ago

In reply to DaKillaKing, #11:

I'm glad u feel that way..... especially since only admins and the previous winner can veto smiley8.gif

• DaKillaKing

DaKillaKing

#31055485 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #13:

I know, just expressing my scentiments on his manly post.
    (My guy is still the only one with a beard)

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31055486 - 8 years ago

In reply to DaKillaKing, #14:

Who needs a beard when you've got a snake longer than your arm?*smirks*

• DaKillaKing

DaKillaKing

#31055487 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #15:

Who needs a snake when your fans are so tough that they carve your band name into their own backs with semi-sharp objects?

• osiris32

osiris32

#31055488 - 8 years ago

In reply to DaKillaKing, #16:

Who needs to have people carve when you can go out in broad daylight to buy kitty litter and still look like a bad-ass?

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31055489 - 8 years ago

250px-307-10.jpg
    Sam the Eagle to Alice-Let me get right to the point. You sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty, freako!"
    Alice to Sam- Why thank you!
    Sam- *to himself* Freakos 1, Civilization 0.
    Your argument is invalid.

• DaKillaKing

DaKillaKing

#31055490 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #17:

I was just saying how bad-ass the fans are. Jeff could turn into justin beiberinto a bad-ass, through direct skin contact.

Not that he'd degrade his manliness by doing so.

• G_Touchdown

G_Touchdown

#31055491 - 8 years ago

you want a MAN?
    a GRUNGE man?
    a man with a BEARD?
    ladies and assfuckers, I give you....
    THIS FUCKING GUY
    davegrohl.jpg
    Dave "each band was better than the last" Grohl!
    Dave+Grohl+stfusrslyaa2.gif
    he was in Nirvana, the gunge band of the century as the drummer
    after that, he made a new band, Foo Fighters, one of the greatest bands off all time!
    he even played Satan in Tenacious D and the Pick Of Destiny (with an epic 'tee)
    dave_thed_satan.jpg
    now he's in Them Crooked Vultures
    with Joshua Homme from Queens Of The Stone Age
    and John Paul Jones from Led mutha fuckin Zeppelen
    lokk at him dave-grohl-20071221-354138.jpg
    now look at him with his band foo-fighters.jpg
    now look at him shredding a guitar foo-fighters-gal-ema.jpg
    he's a DRUMMER
    a GUITARIST
    a SINGER
    a leader of 2 BANDS
    and a god of rock and grunge
    want a fucking man? look no further[img][/img][img]

Post edited 10/14/10 12:00PM

• G_Touchdown

G_Touchdown

#31055492 - 8 years ago

In reply to G_Touchdown, #20:

fuck, it put up the same pic twice... oh well! XD

• G_Touchdown

G_Touchdown

#31055493 - 8 years ago

In reply to G_Touchdown, #21:

nvm, I took care of it

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31055494 - 8 years ago

In reply to G_Touchdown, #22:I will admit I am impressed by your nomination, especially as he worked with the comic masters, however I still question his latest band choice, sounds suspiciously like a super group attempt.The Foos were alright, and Nirvana were really only known for "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Anything involving Tenacious D is a win, but I still maintain Alice Cooper is a manlier man. He's had three girls dressed as witches deliver a cat's heart to his door, he went through most of his earlier shows either slightly sober or very inebriated, and he has an rockstar's flamboyance. And he's also played the devil.
    unitard-797316.BMP
    This will be a very interesting vote at the end of the month.

• G_Touchdown

G_Touchdown

#31055495 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #23:

agreed
    but Them Crooked Vultures IS a super group
    Cream was, no one complains
    Them Crooked Vultures, everyone complains?
    WTF?

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31055496 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #23:

I know u DID NOT just say that Nirvana was only known for Smells Like Teen Spirit..... u have lost ur damn mind good sir smiley4.gif