Forums > The Group of Manliness

A manly boardgame (?)

Posts (79)

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31113461 - 8 years ago

Interesting question. If there is such thing as a manly boardgame/ card game, then what would qualify as "manly"? I have some ideas, feel free to add your own or dispute one another.

1)Arkham Horror.
    Not the Batman game. You are in Arkham, and there is an Ancient monster awakening in the city. Your job is to beat up monsters and close the creature's entrance to this world before he gets in, and if you fail that, you have to kick it's ass or die trying. It's you and your friends against some of the baddest creatures you could imagine....

2) Munchkin.
    Yes...Alduin's lost it. But no, this is a really amazingly silly game where you merely have to increase you levels and power, against your competitors who are doing the same by fighting monsters and equipping yourself with weird and wacky gadgets. I consider this and Bang! in a category of beer-and-pretzels games which nevertheless are quite entertaining.

So what board games would you consider "manly"?

• osiris32

osiris32

#31113462 - 8 years ago

Cowboy Poker.

If you don't know what that is, pass your man card to the front.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113463 - 8 years ago

Strip Candyland!

• osiris32

osiris32

#31113464 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #3:

Not enough women around for that game

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113465 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #4:

For u maybe, I got two on my end. =p

• osiris32

osiris32

#31113466 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #5:

Left and right hands don't count, Rhino.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113467 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #6:

Boooo.... obviously there's no women there to help u with ur comebacks! Ba-ZING! smiley8.gifsmiley0.gif

• osiris32

osiris32

#31113468 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #7:

smiley2.gif ...yeah...

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113469 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #8:

AH HA HA HA.... it's funny cause it's true.... what?.. too soon? smiley6.gif

• osiris32

osiris32

#31113470 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #9:

Four words: Fuck, off, and die.

Put them in whatever order you'd like.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113471 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #10:

Lol c'mon man, we're just a couple-a-guys! Lighten up, it ain't my fault u decided to become chick repellent smiley0.gifsmiley6.gif

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31113472 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #11:

I believe this was a post about manly games, not who could pick up chicks/guys the best.However any strip games are somewhat obsolete in this as they are not... publicly allowed. I could play Munchkin *and have* outside the cathedral in Christchurch, but strip games are more for shady flats or disreputable pubs.

That said, I have played strip minesweeper before, THAT was fun, having whitewashed my opponent.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113473 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #12:

Pullin tail IS a game of skill my friend. And as far as I know, completely publicly acceptable smiley6.gif

Besides, before u get all uppitty about it, I don't remember u running this thread by me for approval in the first place smiley6.gif

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31113474 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #13:

*the metamorph turns around and looks Wardog squarely in the eye* Then delete it, if this is such a dictatorship. I can see Assange's point now.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113475 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #14:

*Wardog looks back and says, learn to take a joke. When the hell have u ever seen me delete a thread with no justification? And who the hell is Assange?*

• osiris32

osiris32

#31113476 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #15:

He's referring to the guy from Wikileaks.

And to get things back on track, WHY IS NO ONE GOING FOR MY COWBOY POKER IDEA? It takes huge fucking balls to play that game.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113477 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #16:

Ooohhhh.... Julian Assange!... that makes more sense. I thought he was actually tryin to start shit there for a sec. I was all, "I told everyone to run new threads by me first cause of the new changes to the group. How the hell am I a dictator if ur the one breakin rules?!" smiley4.gif

Also, to answer ur question, my guess is the some people don't know what it is. I would also like to add that even when I move into this new place next year, with a big ass back patio, I still wouldn't have room for a fuckin' bull.... not all of us live in fuckin' Oregon =p

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31113478 - 8 years ago

Yeah, I'm a city slicker who lives on a hill in Dunedin, ther'e not enough room in my backyard to swing a cat-o-nine tails, let alone harness a rampaging bull. And I don't have to hand my man card to the front when I say I don't know what cowboy poker is, because I'm from the Land of the Long White Cloud, not from the Mid West. Without the editorials, someone explain what it is?

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113479 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #18:

Well the way I remember it was: 4 or 5 guys sit down around a poker table to play a nice peaceful man-game.... then u release a fully pissed off bull. The winner is whoever wins the poker game, last guy to lay down cards OR last man standing (depending on the version ur playing).

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31113480 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #19:

How improbable, but at least sounds interesting.Being chased by an angry bull while trying to play poker.Now we'll see who dares bluff.
    On the subject of bulls, Would it be fair to say that the Running of the bulls in Pamplona is one of the manliest things a joe off the street can do?

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113481 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #20:

One of? Yeah, I'd say that's fair.

• Ashryka

Ashryka

#31113482 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #21:

I wasn't going to say the most manliest things ever, because there are hundreds of manly things you can do, but you need high training in fighter aircraft, or astronaut training, or other such specialities to do them. With the running of the bulls, all you need is a good pair of legs and a desire to scare the crap out of yourself.I badly want to go to Spain for that, because I reckon I'd give the bulls a "run" for their money.

• osiris32

osiris32

#31113483 - 8 years ago

In reply to Ashryka, #22:

Bad pun.In reply to WARDOG01, #19:

The last couple games I've seen it was last man sitting at the table. Usually games don't last more than a couple minutes, because bulls apparently are teetotalers who HATE sinful things like gambling. No, you can't play it in your backyard, I've only seen it done in arenas. But you if don't live anywhere near an arena, you probably live in an area where there are ranches, so you should have access to bovines.

However, using a cow doesn't count, since they'd most likely just wander up and nibble at the cards. You need a bull.

• WARDOG01

WARDOG01

#31113484 - 8 years ago

In reply to osiris32, #23:

Yeah.... there isn't a ranch here for miles either. We'd have to save all the stupid shit for ur neck of the woods smiley8.gif

• osiris32

osiris32

#31113485 - 8 years ago

In reply to WARDOG01, #24:

I have to drive almost 2 hours before I can find an actual ranch

I live 15 minutes from the center of a major metropolitan area.