Forums > The Latecomers

Occupation / Degree / Subjects / Hobby

Posts (95)

• MCPOLeigh116

MCPOLeigh116 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Marmalised

#32333933 - 5 years ago

So whilst sitting here in a particularly dull lecture, I got to wondering what you guys and gals out there are studying and why, or if you are out in the world of work, what to you do, and what do you want it to lead too?

I guess I should start really, I study Computer Science with the desire to go into games design or software engineering once I finish my education. (Or atleast that was the goal, but that's a story for a different day) And I don't have any work out side of uni DX.

So, what's the story with you guys, I would be especially interested in hearing about those doing programming/computing like myself.

• Danielle

Danielle FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32333934 - 5 years ago

Currently I'm a floor manager at a shitty retail store. I manage idiots and am stressed out beyond belief. Haha. Im in te middle of looking for something else.

I'm a communications major. I'm toggling between being a linguist or dealing with public relations. So we'll see how that goes. :P

• MCPOLeigh116

MCPOLeigh116 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Marmalised

#32333935 - 5 years ago

In reply to Danielle, #2:

I could never manage to do that! DX

If you don't mind me asking, what is actually covered in a communications degree, is it a mix of management and languages, I have never understood what it truly is? smiley4.gif

• MrG_Almighty

MrG_Almighty

#32333936 - 5 years ago

In reply to Danielle, #2:

Sounds interesting, I could never work in retail, much respect.

I'm a web developer, so I sit infront of a computer screen looking at code, I'm only learning how to do it though.

I used to work at a retail store so I know how difficult/stressful it can be! I studied psychology a while ago and I was hoping to go to university to study that, but that didn't pan out as I was expecting so soon after that I start to look into media and creative media. I started doing photography and I learnt how to shoot good photos, about colour balancing, angles, lines etc etc. I didn't really get into it for a number of reasons so after that I went onto video/filmmaking. That was a lot more fun, and I still do that to this day the unfortunate thing is that there's not that much material for me to use and it's expensive to get into fully. So then I moved onto graphic design/art, and I'm still on that train now, I make things for a number of people whom I know and/or have heard of, 90% of it for free and I'm really enjoying it, and ofc alongside this I'm learning hot to HTML CSS PHP Java etc etc with my job.

Here's a link to some of my work:

imgur.com/a/ufEDh#0

As far as hobbies go, it's mostly gaming, although I do spend some of my time fixing up/racing cars, I've shot some skating videos with my friends (they do the skating) I've played on some stage and written some songs. I've written a couple of novel which, thankfully, are lost to the ether I might try my hand at writing again, if I have time. I'm also a technology fan and try to keep up to date on the latest and greatest in technology, I like to study astro-physics and astronomy in my spare time, and I'm hoping to move into Architectural and Interior design before too long.

Oh and I'm from the UK

- Mr G

P.S: Sorry for rambling on!

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333937 - 5 years ago

In reply to MrG_Almighty, #4:

Do not apologise, that was most interesting to read. :)

I too spend my entire life in front of one screen or another, and am currently learning Java and C#, done HTML in the past. The art sounds cool, do a little myself, but nothing to show for it.

• MrG_Almighty

MrG_Almighty

#32333938 - 5 years ago

In reply to MCPOLeigh116, #5:

Always keep log, even if only a little booklet or folder, it's good to see progress within yourself or to draw inspiration from your previous work!

I doubt I'll stay in coding for much longer but it is most useful to know a little bit about in this industry

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333939 - 5 years ago

In reply to MrG_Almighty, #6:

Oh no, I keep all that I do :) just nothing ever got that far, or is up any where to see :P
    Yeah, knowing a programming language is always good.

• Hook

Hook er

#32333940 - 5 years ago

I'm currently on a college course for Creative Media. Its a strangely vague title, mainly because its a bunch of stuff thrown into one subject.
    There's aspects of animation, photography, filmmaking, graphic design, web design, and game design.
    My hope is to study either animation or game design in university next year once the course is over.

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333941 - 5 years ago

In reply to MrHookman, #8:

That sounds like a fascinating and fun course to me! smiley0.gif Depending on where you are/go to uni, alot of the game design degrees aren't that great, really need to look hard with them.

• sorocoroto

sorocoroto

#32333942 - 5 years ago

In reply to MCPOLeigh116, #1:

I'm just seeing you everywhere LOL.

In reply to MrHookman, #8:

I actually have a degree like that, but it was called Digital Media. I focused on Game Design and Animation, but currently I have a full-time job utilizing what I learned with Flash and Photoshop. While I do enjoy flash, I want to go back to game design, but I need money and experience.

When I get home I just like to play video games/record let's plays, but sometimes I do tinker in some actionscript game coding.

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333943 - 5 years ago

In reply to sorocoroto, #10:

That's because I am everywhere ;) And I would like to check out these lets plays!

• sorocoroto

sorocoroto

#32333944 - 5 years ago

In reply to MCPOLeigh116, #11:

www.youtube.com/user/KitSoro/videos?flow=grid...
    I'm currently playing Ocarina of Time for the first time. I actually have a bunch of videos left to edit before I continue playing it again.

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333945 - 5 years ago

In reply to sorocoroto, #12:

Cool I will check that out in a bit then smiley1.gif

• Jehson

Jehson FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Streets ahead

#32333946 - 5 years ago

I did a 3 year graphic design program at the college I went to and currently work a part time graphic design job which I've had for close to 3 years now.
    My hobbies include gaming, gaming, watching stuff on youtube, sometimes doing artwork, and more gaming.
    Ideally, I'd love to work at one of my favourite gaming companies like Blizzard, Ubisoft or Bioware. Or do some sort of youtube entertainment thing, making videos and such, like Roosterteeth or the Yogscast.

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333947 - 5 years ago

In reply to MetaRidleyX, #14:

Working at Bioware would fairly cool actually, could see that being a great job! Trying to hit the big leagues on YouTube is tricky one :/ seen too many people go into for the wrong reasons and not making anything from it in the end to recommend it as a good idea myself, but who knows.

• Jehson

Jehson FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Streets ahead

#32333948 - 5 years ago

In reply to MCPOLeigh116, #15:

I'd like to do the youtube thing just because it looks like it would be a really fun thing to do for a living. Definitely would be really difficult to get into though.

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333949 - 5 years ago

In reply to MetaRidleyX, #16:

Yeah, most going into it to make money don't seem to succeed, but I think if you just do it for the enjoyment, you can get anywhere.

• sorocoroto

sorocoroto

#32333950 - 5 years ago

In reply to MetaRidleyX, #16:

Agreed. Plus it's like a full time job so even attempting to try to get big could have poor results. I just upload whenever I have time, but I'm not sure if I could handle all the social networking along with it and my current job.

• Nic

Nic

#32333951 - 5 years ago

IM studying product design at uni, which basically encompasses everything...I do 3D modelling, technical drawing, sketching, modelling, building, maths & physics etc. But im really enjoying it.

In reply to MCPOLeigh116, #17:

Pretty much all my good friends at uni are on game art course which is pretty cool, they go from concept art to creating the in game world. And then one guy on games programming (apparently its really shit...)

In my free time I....don't have any. Uni has engulfed my life *sigh* although...I do get drunk a lot, I guess that counts as a hobby

Post edited 11/13/13 6:58PM

• Amdragon713

Amdragon713 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32333952 - 5 years ago

I'm currently on a break from school because money is stupid . But when I get back I'm a geology major, specializing in geophysics, I intend on studying earthquakes. I'll also be getting a minor in zoology, in case I change my mind and want to go into paleontology instead.

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333953 - 5 years ago

In reply to AustinRober5, #20:

Cool, lived with some geologists last yeah they do some interesting work, but why they have so many rocks in there rooms!? Studying earthquakes sounds very rewarding. :)

In reply to Nic, #19:

Yeah, doing all the steps from start to finish of product design should be very useful. I remember you telling me about the course before. :P Ultimately the issue with almost all games related degrees, is that they aren't industry recognised, so as fun and interesting as they all are, the end product isn't anywhere near as useful as you would want. :/

• Killy

Killy

#32333954 - 5 years ago

Hey all.

I am currently studying Journalism at university, and well I guess it is pretty self explanatory as to what the course is about. Though It has provided a few surprises, as this year one of my modules requires me to build a website from scratch, so I guess I'll walk away with a few skills in IT. Of course to any IT savy guys or girls out there a bit of help or tips would be appreciated.

The main aim for me post-Uni is to, well become a journalist. But rather than go into the low paying internships with the faint hope of landing a job at a newspaper or news organisation, I am looking to go down the route of working with global development NGOs or humanitarian organisations, since that form of journalism is in demand and, after an insightful lecture last year, I get an excuse to travel across the globe by only paying a minimal fee.

So yeah that is the dream...

• Simon

Simon

#32333955 - 5 years ago

I have a qualification as a Light Motor Vehicle Mechanic but I don't do it as a job.

Kinda wish I'd actually stayed on in education sometimes

• MCPOLeigh116

#32333956 - 5 years ago

In reply to Killy23, #22:

That actually sounds like it would be a really rewarding job! Any job I could get with my degree will land me in a dark room with computers, we computer scientists aren't allowed out to play smiley2.gif If you need help, I remember some of my old web design units from college, maybe MrHookman can help you with help design :P

In reply to Simon, #23:

smiley2.gif So what are you currently working as, if you don't mind me asking?

• AshMiles1

AshMiles1

#32333957 - 5 years ago

Hey folks!

I work for a company that teaches visual effects for film and TV called Escape Studios. After doing a course with them I ended up working for them and now I'm in charge of making all their video content. You can see my ridiculous face most weeks on their YouTube channel giving out tips and news for VFX artists. I'm grossly underpaid and although I love the job am looking to leave because it turns out, you need money to live.

I spent a season a chalet host in the Austrian Alps after school rather than going to Uni. As a rather quiet and shy individual, I thought going and running skiing house for 30 people in a foreign mountain range would help bring me out of my shell. And it did! Now I'm a loud mouthed dick :)

Came home from that and worked in my parents bakery for a year. Then I ended up working in construction for a few years before I realised I didn't want to work in construction so took all my money, moved down to London and did a course at Escape. Now I work for them.

Ideally, I'll win about 54 million squids on the lottery, set up my own production studio and me and my friends can just make cool VFX video content for the rest of our lives. You may all come and work with(for) me if you wish when this happens.