Forums > The Latecomers

Book Lovers!

Posts (70)

• becka

becka tniy becker

#32346518 - 5 years ago

So, I know for a fact that I'm not the only bookworm around this place..

I'm currently re-reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, after which I'm hoping to read either the Assassin's Creed novels or some old classics. smiley1.gif
    My favourite book series will forever be Harry Potter. The Hunger Games and Lord of the Rings are both close second.
    Also, my favourite author is John Green. I've adored every single book he's written. Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars are two of my favourite books of all time.

Now then, how about you guys?

What are your favourite books/book series?
    What are you currently reading?
    Also, who is your favourite author?

I'm someone who likes to collect books, so feel free to recommend any that you think are worth while. My collection stands at around 115, at the moment. smiley0.gif

• Eluviahns

Eluviahns

#32346519 - 5 years ago

Yes! John Green is pretty great, isn't he? I still need to read Looking for Alaska it's just kinda sitting there on my shelf haha, but I've read Paper Towns (this one was very cool) and TFIOS and I'm really excited for that movie to come out next year.

I haven't really gotten into The Hunger Games series, except for watching the movies, so I should really get on that but Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit are absolutely perfect. Really excited for the second part of The Hobbit coming out in December. Some of my favorite series of books would probably have to be A Series of Unfortunate Events, the Artemis Fowl series, Chronicles of Narnia, the Eragon series, the Gears of War novels, the Halo novels and pretty much anything that Tom Clancy has done (I have a lot of favorites). If I had to pick one favorite author, I'd probably pick Lemony Snicket. I just really like his writing style (also he has a really cool pen name so there is that too).

Right now I am re-reading the Ender's Game series, because of the movie and the spoilercast, I picked up the first Percy Jackson book not too long ago, so I'll need to read that at some point too (I have a bad habit of getting books and then not touching them for a while but there are so many to read).

If you're looking for new stuff then you could pick whatever you think you'd like from what I listed up there, I have a lot more I could recommend too. I'm so happy that this is a topic now smiley0.gif

• Tristan

Tristan T-Booty

#32346520 - 5 years ago

I've always wanted to read the Percy Jackson series, but i've never managed to get my hands on them :/ I did start reading the sequel series Heroes of Olympus and it is pretty amazing. I love the mix between Greek and Roman mythology.

Harry Potter will always be up there for me, it was the first complete series I ever read, and it's just absolutely amazing. I also love Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle and The Hunger Games , such brilliant series smiley1.gif

I don't think i've ever read John Green, I have heard good things though. The most recent series i've read was Gone by Michael Grant, which is a bit like The Hunger Games, but way more awesome smiley0.gif

I want to read The Mortal Instruments too, despite being told it's mildly girly smiley6.gif

• becka

becka tniy becker

#32346521 - 5 years ago

In reply to touchmynubin, #2:

The Hunger Games books are amazing! If you like the movies, then you'll definitely love the books. Catching Fire is my favourite of the three. smiley0.gif

In reply to Tristan, #3:
    The Percy Jackson series is awesome! Hopefully you can find them. I love the mythology too. smiley1.gif
    Always wanted to read the Inheritance cycle, just never got around to it. I'll definitely buy them at some point.
    I've read the first 4 books of the Mortal Instruments, and I like them. They're good, not mindblowing, but a good read. I have the 5th book yet to read. The same author also has written the Infernal Devices, which I've yet to read. I definitely want to!

• Tristan

Tristan T-Booty

#32346522 - 5 years ago

In reply to Becka, #4:

You should definitely read the Inheritance cycle, it's such a great series :D
    I want to read the Infernal Devices series too, I bought the newest one for my girlfriends sister for her birthday just gone, and when I realised it was the sequel series to Mortal Instruments I was very eager to read it as well. \

I also want to get around to World War Z, I've heard it was really good

• Hook

Hook FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold er

#32346523 - 5 years ago

In reply to Tristan, #5:

World War Z is great, although I've heard its best to listen to the audiobook rather than the written word.

I just found myself re-reading Harry Potter again for the first time in years, only ones I still had lying around are the last two in the series though. I forgot just how awesome those books are!

Anyone here read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? Those are some of my favourite books from childhood, along with the Artemis Fowl series and the Darren Shan books.

• SIERRA035

SIERRA035

#32346524 - 5 years ago

At this moment, I'm just obsessed with Karen Traviss books. Her Star Wars books are great, like the Republic Commando series. I've just ordered most of the halo books, so I'm looking forward to that to.

My favorite series ever would have to be Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, second is tied by Republic Commando and Harry Potter. Third is Lord of the Rings, because I love the lore and am neck deep in it, but never finished anything but the Simirilian and Hobbit. The Robotech novels are fabulous to, if any one knows/ remembers the old anime show. I only know because my dad had the entire series on DVD.

Currently I'm rereading the SW Trawn trilogy (Timothy Zhan), and reading Lord of the Flies, and Heroes of Olympus ( can't afford the new book, frowny face emoticon).

• xcaliers

xcaliers FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32346525 - 5 years ago

My favourite series to re-read is probably Terry Pratchett's Discworld- fantasy and humour/satire mixed together, I love them. They're not difficult reads and I recommend them for just about anyone.

I used to be a huge Tolkien nerd and do still like the books. The Silmarillion was one of my faves and I'm currently rereading Fellowship. Basically a fantasy nerd who loves satire, I like sci-fi too. Just finished rereading Asimov's "Through a Glass, Clearly" as well. Obviously I've read Harry Potter but not many of the other YA series mentioned. My friends keep saying Percy Jackson is really good though!

I also love historical non-fiction, but I guess we're sticking to fiction here. XD

• lukethepain

lukethepain

#32346526 - 5 years ago

Has anyone else read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King?

• Tristan

Tristan T-Booty

#32346527 - 5 years ago

In reply to lukethepain, #9:

I have the first book, have not yet finished it

• MCPOLeigh116

MCPOLeigh116 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Marmalised

#32346528 - 5 years ago

Own just about all the HALO books, read just over half of them until I became too busy, and grew slightly bored of the series, read a fair amount of Manga can't remember all the different series to list them all. Used to love reading, but ever since college through university I haven't had the time to sit and just read, when I do get free time, I am sleeping playing games or watching videos on youtube. :/

• Hook

Hook FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold er

#32346529 - 5 years ago

In reply to lukethepain, #9:

I've read the first book, I keep on meaning to read more because I'm a pretty big King fan.

• MightyNax

MightyNax

#32346530 - 5 years ago

In reply to MCPOLeigh116, #11:

duuuuuude, i've been thinking about getting into the halo book series, but a lot of my friends are telling me to go against that feeling because its too long and apparently 'lame' but since you read some, would you recommend it?

• Tristan

Tristan T-Booty

#32346531 - 5 years ago

In reply to MightyNax, #13:

I read the first one and I loved it. They're written to go with the Halo universe, so they're far from lame. I highly recommend them smiley7.gif

• TheLDude

TheLDude FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Thanks

#32346532 - 5 years ago

A book thread, awesome!
    I'm currently reading 1984 by George Orwell for a book report, and after that I hope to start reading some other Orwell books and some books from Hemmingway, my teachers keep recommending him to me. Re-reading the Harry Potter series in English has been on my list for quite a while aswell.

Favorite book series has to be A Song of Ice and Fire, can't wait to read them in English since I've only read them in Dutch translation.
    I haven't really had a favorite author in the last couple of years, because I haven't been reading as much as I'd like to. Hopefully I can change that in the near future.

• MCPOLeigh116

MCPOLeigh116 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Marmalised

#32346533 - 5 years ago

In reply to MightyNax, #13:

They very interesting books, even if you don't know the ins and outs of all the games, though it does help. I find they do follow a pattern of starting off fairly dull, as they spend a lot of time explaining and setting up the universe for those that don't know it, but as long as you read far enough in you will be hooked! Used to lose many a nights sleeping reading away at the books. Sadly it is unlikely I will ever finish them all now, but I would still recommend them, especially some of the older ones that compliment the games very well.

• Tristan

Tristan T-Booty

#32346534 - 5 years ago

So i've just found out that apparently Christopher Paolini is writing several more books to the Inheritance Cycle. Anyone else excited?

• dsbm1124

dsbm1124

#32346535 - 5 years ago

My favorite books are definitely those by Ted Dekker such as the Circle Trilogy. His books are so confusing at first but everything seems so obvious and fits well together towards the end.
    I'm currently reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's more medieval fantasy so I'd recommend it.

In reply to Tristan, #17:

YES! I'm so excited. I remember hearing something about the new story line, but I don't quite remember what it's going to be about. Can't wait to see how the story continues from a different perspective.

• Tristan

Tristan T-Booty

#32346536 - 5 years ago

In reply to dsbm1124, #18:

I'm most excited that he's stated he's going to do a prequel book/series :D

• EmilyAlex

EmilyAlex

#32346537 - 5 years ago

I am currently reading the Lord of the Rings series..... Finally :D I love fantasy and have been meaning to read it for a while, but never got the chance or had the time.
    I think my favorite series is the Percy Jackson one...just an awesome series all around.
    My favorite author is Stephen King. Everything he writes is great in my opinion :)

• Joshi

Joshi

#32346538 - 5 years ago

In reply to Tristan, #19:

No i didn't know that. That's bloody awesome.

In reply to EmilyAlex, #20:

I seriously struggle to read The Lord of the Rings, still gotta finish two towers which i started ages ago. The Hobbit was easier to read, it'd have to be my favorite

• Dan1244

Dan1244

#32346539 - 5 years ago

I am a huge history nerd, so a lot of my books are historical fiction/non-fiction. I just finished "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly and really liked it! If you like history, I highly recommend it!

• Lium

Lium

#32346540 - 5 years ago

It's pretty biased due to it also being my favourite film but Jurassic Park is my favourite book also.
    I've just started reading The Book Thief before I inevitably watch the film adaption of it. So far so good!

• MCPOLeigh116

#32346541 - 5 years ago

In reply to Lium, #23:

I love Jurassic Park, always one of my favourite if not my favourite movie when I was younger, but never read the book, is there a fair amount of difference between the book and film?

• Lillypetals

Lillypetals

#32346542 - 5 years ago

Did anyone who loves the Ender's Game book watch the movie?
    It is such an introverted novel with so much of the struggles and battles taking place in Ender's perception of his world. I wondered if the director would even be able to portray any of that, or if he turned it into a standard, action-packed sci-fi movie.
    I haven't watched it yet because I love the book too much.