Forums > The Latecomers

Book Lovers!

Posts (70)

• mdubmachine

mdubmachine

#32346569 - 5 years ago

I'm not much of a reader now, but I definitely was during elementary school.

My favorite books were The Boxcar Children series and anything Star Wars or Scooby Doo. Back then, my favorite author was Gertrude Chandler Warner (writer of the original Boxcar Children Books).

I haven't read much since high school outside mandatory reading. The only books I read that I liked, or at least found interesting, were The Bourne Identity (also one of my favorite film series), For Whom the Bell Tolls (yes, because of the Metallica song), and 1984. I've tried reading a few Tom Clancy books but never got very far in any of them.

1984 definitely had the biggest impact on me as it has forever changed the way I look at propaganda, control, manipulation, and everything associated with it.

Edit: Oh, and Les Miserable. I liked that book, too. No, I haven't seen the play or the movie (either recent movie).

Post edited 4/04/14 12:13AM

• jp4464

jp4464 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#32346570 - 5 years ago

My favorite book is either The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Excellent use of poetic language, and it's just such an American Classic.
    Or I am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak
    Great characters, great dialogue, and I just love how the book is written

• Cainrin

Cainrin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Bookwyrm

#32346571 - 5 years ago

A book forum! I love picking up new books, looks like a lot of recommendations on here. I read fantasy almost exclusively, with a bit of sci-fi or other random fiction thrown in on occasion. My first and favorite series is Shannara by Terry Brooks. He starts to get a bit predictable in his latest trilogies, but it's in the same genre as Tolkein and Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms. I recently finished booked four of the Green Rider series by Kristin Britain, also really good. Another series (two trilogies) that I would recommend to anyone is the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Such great writing. I never cry at books: this series made me cry twice, it that's good.

I made it through book 8 of Wheel of Time and stopped after that...I'm pretty sure nothing happened in 800-ish pages of that book, so never finished the series.

Are there any books you don't like? Those can be fun to hear about too. smiley1.gif

• Vernz271

Vernz271

#32346572 - 5 years ago

In reply to Cainrin, #54:

I love that someone else also likes Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy :p she writes fantastic books!! I think you might like to read The Chronicles of Carrick V by Mary Gentle, wonderful book that had me in awe, tears and stitches :)

• Vernz271

Vernz271

#32346573 - 5 years ago

Lol anyone remember the Wind on Fire trilogy? :p good memories :)

• Vernz271

Vernz271

#32346574 - 5 years ago

In reply to invincibelle, #46:

I'd say Tolkien, always loved that wildly different sort of world :) best cure for the rigours of University? Middle Earth.

• merystrider

merystrider

#32346575 - 5 years ago

Hello :3 Umm Favorite book? Well there's a lot to choose from. The first book that comes to mind however is Ender's Game. I also love the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series, His Dark Materials series, Harry Potter series and various other books my mind is blanking out on. TFIOS, other YA books, and The Book Thief as well. I'm currently re-reading Ender's Game and about to read the Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo for summer homework.
    As for favorite author, I'd have to say Rick Riordan if only that he's the only author I've read most of his books and actually liked them. J.K. Rowling is in that grouping as well.

• FinalGrayson

FinalGrayson

#32346576 - 5 years ago

In reply to Becka, #1:

I really love Harry Potter as well, read them as a kid and still enjoy them to this day. John Green is pretty great, although I've gone off his books a little lately.
    Some of my favourite books are Pride and Prejudice, The Graveyard Book and The Ocean At The End Of The Lane. I liked the Hunger Game series too.
    My favourite author has to be Neil Gaiman, hands down. His books are outstanding.

• zonerikon

zonerikon

#32346577 - 5 years ago

Currently I find myself reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Maximum Ride series, and Bo Burnham's Egghead
    My favorite Things to read would be Greek and Roman Epic Poetry
    No favorite authors as of yet

• Cainrin

Cainrin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Bookwyrm

#32346578 - 5 years ago

In reply to Vernz, #55:

That's one I haven't heard of, I'll have to check it out, thanks!

In reply to zonerikon, #60:

Wow, Greek and Roman epic poetry? No light reading there, I bet. I really like Poe and Shakespeare, and I'm not sure I'd tackle that. smiley1.gif

What are some favorite character's people have? Not necessarily from a favorite book, just a character that you really like, or that intrigues you, or that you would want to read more of, but maybe in a different setting? Karigan G'ladheon from Kristin Britain's Green Rider series would be one such for me. She just came out as a very real character, even though she was run through some of the classical fantasy story mods.

And how about some character's you love to hate? For me, Cersei from GoT is one example. Joffrey was downright cruel, but you can at least understand Cersei's motives much of time so you can love to hate her (or hate to love her, as the case may be).

• lisay

lisay

#32346579 - 5 years ago

I loved 1984, Percy Jackson, Chronicles of Narnia, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but my favourite book so far has to be Good Omens. A very funny twist on the slightly overused apocalypse cliche. It has many amazing characters and one liners. I've read more times than I can count.

• Scribnibbler

Scribnibbler FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Stand user

#32346580 - 4 years ago

lukethepain "Has anyone else read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King?" oh yes, yes i have and they are my favorite of all time. i can not recommend them enough to all who read.
    Recently ive been reading The once and future king by T.H. White all highly recommend if your into fantasy

• Daegan547

Daegan547 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold "Geordie"

#32346581 - 4 years ago

I just started reading Game of Thrones and I'm loving it so far. My favourite author has to be Trudi Canavan though. If anyone is into fantasy and haven't read any of her books you should try her Black Magician series :)
    I've also read all of the Percy Jackson books, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials and Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (which I'd also recommend smiley1.gif )

• CapKnocknees

CapKnocknees FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Techie

#32346582 - 4 years ago

I have a problem with buying more books than I've got place for. I think I have books scattered across three different rooms, at least. smiley6.gif
    The consequence from reading many books since I the age of 5 I guess. smiley8.gif

As a result of this I'm currently reading multiple books, those being The Lord of The Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien), Halo: The Fall of Reach (Eric Nylund), Dead or Alive (Tom Clancy), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) and The Silmarillion (J.R.R. Tolkien).

My favourite books are The Lord of The Rings, Hannibal, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Teeth of the Tiger.

I've always had four authors I've loved equally-ish. Those are J.R.R. Tolkien, Thomas Harris, Tom Clancy and Stephen King. Only Tolkien takes it a step further for me, he's the precious so to speak. smiley6.gif

I would also note that I've at the time of this post read The Hobbit 7 times, and both The Lord of The Rings and The Silmarillion 3 times each (All of them since 2003). Don't ask me why I keep track of that, it's something I automatically do whenever I re-read books.

• InternetMan

InternetMan

#32346583 - 4 years ago

In reply to Becka, #1:

When I was in high school I read Redwall and loved every second it, even the EXTENSIVE descriptions of feasts and the more than repetitive nature of the books. Good stuff.

Also Lord of the Rings is fascinating.

• Cainrin

#32346584 - 4 years ago

In reply to InternetMan, #66:

I loved the mole-speech in Redwall, and I still call hedgehogs "hedgepigs" because of that series.

In reply to CapKnocknees, #65:

Kudos to you for reading multiple books at once! I can, I just would never be able to pick which one to read at any given time so I stick to just one. I think my record for re-reading books is 3, and the Sword of Shannara is the first one that comes to mind for that. Unfortunately my memory can only seem to keep up to 4 books at a time so I re-read some of my favorites from time to time. smiley1.gif

• Cole

Cole

#32346585 - 4 years ago

Maybe someone here can help me lol, I've been looking to get back into reading after taking a loooooonnnng break and I'm sure where to start or what series are of any actual quality. Any recommendations people can make are greatly appreciated in bringing me back into the world of literacy haha. For reference back when I was an avid reader I really liked Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Harry Potter, Goosebumps, The Hobbit, and actually The Mask Comics which is what the movie was based on. Any suggestions?

• JoePowell

JoePowell

#32346586 - 4 years ago

I am about 1/4 of a way through Les Miserables, the abridged version.

• JoePowell

JoePowell

#32346587 - 4 years ago

In reply to Cole, #68:

I would suggest reading The Song of Fire and Ice series. That's Game of Thrones in case you didn't know.

• Cainrin

#33128863 - 3 years ago

Woah, no one's read anything the past 8 months? I don't believe it. :) I just finished the Dark Elf trilogy again, been a while since I delved into Forgotten Realms.

In reply to Cole

What did you end up reading? Anything good over the past year?