Forums > The Oxford Comma Cafe

OCC Book Club (Not a Literature Club, Shadow)

Posts (118)

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33730854 - 1 year ago

This is a thread for the OCC Book Club.  If you wish to join, please make it known below.

EDIT- I'm doing some thinking on how to put this thing together, I'll edit this out once we get a good process, and it'll be replaced with that process.  

Once we know who is interested in participating, we will open the floor for book suggestions.  While we could worry about if the book costs or not, we need to remember that LIBRARIES exist, and as such we can all go get a free membership to a library and check the book out. This allows us the ability to literally read ANYTHING.  For the start, however, I suggest that we look at DRM free books that are accessible digitally. We will VOTE on which book that we want to read. 

So, there are a couple of ways to do this.  

1. We read the ENTIRE book, then spend time going over it chapter by chapter. 

2. We read the book in sections together and are surprised by whatever is happening.  Either way, I think that the discussion needs to be divided out:

At first, I was thinking that we discuss each chapter of whatever book by itself, but depending on the book that may not be feasible. So what I say is whatever "sections" or "divisions" that we decide on a book to boob basis we spend a month on; two weeks roughly to read the section and then two weeks to discuss. Also, I suggest that each person take a month to be the leader of the discussion. That means that you'll be responsible for reading and really knowing your section ahead of time. 

These are just some thoughts

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33730858 - 1 year ago

I'm in. Can also provide various scifi eBooks DRM free

• Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Keeper of Logics

#33730859 - 1 year ago

Here we go.

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33730861 - 1 year ago

I will currently lurk. I may join in the future...

• Lpokmnj

Lpokmnj FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Blargh

#33730863 - 1 year ago

Count me in.

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 Archange

#33730864 - 1 year ago

I'll try.

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33730867 - 1 year ago

I posted some thoughts above in the first post.  Lets iron that out before we decide which book to read. 

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 Archange

#33730870 - 1 year ago

Okay, wow. I am offended by the title.

I feel personally attacked and unwelcome. 

When do we read manga though and where are the cute anime grills? 

• Priest

#33730872 - 1 year ago

In reply to Shadow5435

zwliu4d1dg6y.jpg

• Ratatoskr

#33730873 - 1 year ago

In reply to Priest

that we decide on a book to boob basis

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33730875 - 1 year ago

In reply to Shadow5435

Ah, but here we don't change the name of the thread because someone is offended.

I happen to think it's grand.

In reply to Priest

• Gas grill
    • Thin aluminum construction
    • No smoker

2/10. Would not prepare delicious dead animal with again.

• Priest

#33730876 - 1 year ago

In reply to Ratatoskr

It took me far too long to find that typo.  I should correct it.

But I'm not going to. 

• SailorGirl81

SailorGirl81 Keeper Of Kittens

#33730909 - 1 year ago

I'm  in. Does it really take people two weeks to read a book?  If I'm enjoying a book i find it hard to put down and will probably finish in a day or two. If I'm not enjoying it I just move on to something else.

• Radius55

#33730912 - 1 year ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

Some people. It also can take longer if they're already reading something else.

• DodongoDuster

DodongoDuster Maethori

#33730945 - 1 year ago

I'm in.

• SailorGirl81

#33730968 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

Good point

• Radius55

#33730973 - 1 year ago

Okay, time to list the various books we suggest. I've put a star next to the ones I can provide free ebooks for or that are available free from other sources.

Ender's Shadow - I know that Ender's Game is the usual one people push, but Ender's Shadow is more thought provoking and better in my opinion

Dune - Scifi classic. 'Nuf said.

*1984 - Again, classic that people ought to read

*Hard Magic - First book in the Grimnoir Trilogy. Set in a version of the 1930's where bits of magic started appearing in the previous century, it has a good balance of thought provoking alt-history and fast paced action.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Had to include something by Heinlein. Would be a good debate over if the ideas he put forward here could come true.

• SailorGirl81

#33730987 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

The original Dune? That IS the best one. 

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy by Adams

The original Foundation books by Asimov

The Stars My Destination by Bester

The Lathe of Heaven by Le Guin

• zeitgeistzest

zeitgeistzest

#33731010 - 1 year ago

I shall be lurking as well!

• Ratatoskr

#33731014 - 1 year ago

In reply to SailorGirl81

Ooooh. I haven't thought of 'The Stars My Destination' in a long while.

Foundation series - yes, especially earlier books.

Hitchhiker - I know where my towel is.

• Priest

#33731044 - 1 year ago

@Radius55

Do you have the time to get us started on the first book? I'm a little busy right now prepping for the baby. 

• Radius55

#33731049 - 1 year ago

In reply to Priest

Sure. Need to know what book people want. I guess a good question is do people want more philosophy or fun out of the first read?

• Priest

#33731052 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

My two cents is that an "easy win" would be a good start. Something that isn't too challenging but still engaging. 

• Lpokmnj

Lpokmnj FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Blargh

#33731057 - 1 year ago

In reply to Radius55

In reply to Priest

Might I suggest a bit of both? Tibor Fischer's The Thought Gang is a hilarious romp of a crime spree committed by an English philosophy professor.